1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Era Questions

Discussion in 'Ongoing Teacher Development' started by bahn_farang, 20 Feb 2015.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

A fellow Lampang teacher has kindly organized a Q&A with the Chiang Mai representative of the New Era University, which offers the UniTEFL.

Diploma in teaching - online study Thailand - New Era University

If you have any question please forward today so I will be able to ask them tomorrow.

Alternatively if you would like to attend, the event will be held at 11am at Long Jim Pizza. Directions available on Trip Advisor. Everyone is invited

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, bahn_farang.

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Question. When will the 2015 course start? Or can one do the course in separate modules?

For the purpose of the latter, could one or more modules be done to meet the teacher license renewal requirements?

4. bahn_farang

Thank you Stamp for the questions. I will ask them. The whole thing will be recored as a podcast, which I will post after asking permission from the host.

5. Tullkra

Tullkra Active Member

Also can you ask from my side can you ask if you HAVE to be teaching in a school to take the course, as I'm in a hotel and would really like to take the course but if they need school practice- would hotel English classes be enough.

Also if they would have dates for the meet greet/ testings as I'd have to organise way in advance.

If modules can be done individually, is there a maximum time period to complete them all as it might be another option of someone like me who is happy to stay in the hotel but wants an alternative option.

What would be the cost per module?

Also and not a easy one to answer - what percentage of confidence are they that their course would contribute towards a TCT licence - I know may NEVER get that answer as TCT will never give it.

If I think of any more will edit here.

GOOD LUCK and thanks

6. trnwrk

trnwrk Well-Known Member

Will you please ask about additional fees for the tests that need to be taken in Bangkok?

Will you also please ask about the scheduling of these tests? Will they only be given when a certain amount of people have completed the modules or can they be given to an individual at anytime?

I would love to attend this meeting but am on the other side of Thailand. Thank you very much for your help. :thai wai:

7. SteveR

SteveR New Member

Will it be enough to give me a third waiver? Once I enrolled and payed for the course, off course.

8. bahn_farang

Will list all questions at 10pm 7pm tonight then again at 7pm tomorrow with answers

Cheers people for all the questions

9. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Courses are conducted online? If this is legit, according to the TCT, then it looks like a pretty good deal. It's $3,540 usd?

10. NODIIT

NODIIT Well-Known Member

If positive, could we used the certificates form the TCT Prof. Knowledge Test to get some sort of equivalence for these modules?

Yes, I'm a dreamer :smile2: ...

11. bahn_farang

Any last questions?

12. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

"Why don't they (Unitefl) respond to direct questions in an E-mail / ignore completely / send a generic E-mail that addresses none of your queries some 2 months after the fact?"

"Does this course actually cover the credits laid down and required by KSP as their 'educational credits/areas stipulated'?" (as to be worth half a chance as a course to full TL ...was never answered LOL)

13. bahn_farang

What is the best way to contact if i have further questions?

14. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

^ To above

Here on TT???? ...'They' either have an answer which is positive or negative ...or 'they' have no clue ...three possible answers to the question me thinks.

15. bahn_farang

where else?
    Well I will ask the questions as best I can and get the answers as they are given. No doubt some of the answers will no satisfy some of the original authors of the question but i will do my best

- - - Updated - - -

Very open and honest talk with New era representative. Will finish teaching and put together the answers. Very interesting answers to some of the questions we asked.:thumbsup2:

- - - Updated - - -

First of all an aside. The guy, although obviously on a scout for new business, came down from Chiang Mai when at least 15 teachers said they would be interested. 4 of us turned up. The lack of professionalism amongst the foreign teachers in Thailand IS the route cause of the tightening of the rules for foreign teachers in Thailand.

Any time you want. It is rolling admission. No cohorts. Pay your cash and you can start when you want.

The product is offered in two bite size pieces. Two semesters over a year 18 credits and 6 recorded teaching classes. You can not pick and choose. You can do one module if you like but can't see any benefit.
    the program is in its infancy - never been done before so who knows
    as long as it's a classroom with a fair sized number of students it doesn't have to be a school
    they did have a number of dates but no one showed up. I have given the guys details at the end of the post
    2 semester / one year
    you pay 1900 dollars and then 1600 for the second term. You pay for the term not the modules
    asked the question but here is the most important thing. No one has gained a license using this course yet as the course is still young. The guy admitted that taking it now was a huge leap of faith and even suggested not doing it for another 6 months until there have been people who have been given the full license.
    this is 100% course work no tests
    as above
    as above
    The guy is pretty down to earth and clued up as to the uncertainties of the TCT. No guarantees but waivers have been given based on taking the course
    yes online but no online resources. or discussions.
    The TCT recognises the course as a whole
    yes in as far as the uncertainties of the TCT go. He said that he had had meetings with the powers that be but admitted that things in Thailand are never sure. He did say that the course is recognized by CHED which governs the Philippines higher education system

- - - Updated - - -

contact details to follow