1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Border Crossing In Kanchanaburi open for visa runs- Ban Phu Nam Ron

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by Stamp, 17 Oct 2013.

1. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Yep no more border hops there. A friend of mine found out the hard way yesterday morning ..130 KM's there on his motorbike only to be told "NO can do".

But, whaaa da flock is going on? I thought this whole ASEAN ta-went-tee fife-teen stuff was supposed to be opening more borders up and not closing them.:confused::confused::confused:

Big shame for folk who live in Kan too as was convienient .... back to travelling over to Aryanaprathet for them I suppose.

However, you can get a visa from the myanmar Embassy first and then hop in and out (according to Gungs link in info over on TV) but you can't go anywhere afaik as the bloody road aint finished yet. So, the hop can sorta be done but it is now a lot more spondoolies.

Stamp likes this.
  2. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

Not if you are white and round eyed.

3. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

That's the idea, yes. But in practice certain countries seem to have become more xenophobic and closing their borders instead. I can't imagine what's going to happen to society and the business side. Everyone's going to be rather confused at the least, as they'll be getting rapidly changing messages from the powers-that-be. Open borders --> Close borders --> open borders again --> ???
    My home country can't even sort out the status of the grandchildren/great-grandchildren of immigrants from 70-80 years ago.

4. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

FYI : This border is open again (for the original in-outs) and apparently so for a couple of months already ...so business as usual.

Friend of mine went up there Sunday. 500 baht is the usual fee plus an extra 400 for transport across border to Myanmar side and back ..so now 900 Baht.

:cheers2:

5. angsta

angsta New Member

Going tomorrow will update...

6. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I may have to do a step out and step back in (or pine away at CW immigration - I think that a night in Kan might be a hell of a lot more fun). Puh-leeze report in promptly. Of special interest would vans or tuk tuks from the bus station for those of us who don't own a car.

7. angsta

angsta New Member

1000 ish baht from the bus station ir was a year ago. I've rented a bike...it's a relatively straight forward journey. That's the return price by the way.

8. gungchang

To recap:

1,000-ish to & from the bus station

500 bribe to the border guard

400 to & from the Myanmar side from the Thai side

Isn't it amazing how the cost of all this is about the same as an extension at immigration?

9. angsta

angsta New Member

Motorbike 200 baht. Petrol 120 ish. 90 minutes there and 70 back. 910 baht? Where did the extra ten come from who knows. Left at 12 back for 4.30. Relatively painless...

10. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

As of this week, no more border hops here (info on net this week other sites)...can do only with a prepaid Myanmar visa.
    This crossing is off and on ....wait for the next update if ok again.

Stamp and bahn_farang like this.
  11. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for this update.

12. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

I heard at Kan you have to have a double entry visa only to be able to go in and out. You only go into the jungle, i can hardly see how they call it entering the country.
    The road looks great until you get over the hill and around the corner.

13. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Not sure Tony, I heard that used to be able to do a 30 day hop but I'm not sure personally. But as to yesterdays post right now need a prepaid Myanmar visa to visit a dirt track and some jungle, go nowhere and return. My guess its from above that maybe the Myanmar government feel they are missing out on revenue ....the previous set up (as discussed in this thread) is just a good cash cow for the local officials and not for the coffers of central government.

14. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

I've done it a couple of times. The 900 baht fee includes your visa and the scary lift there and back.
    Easy for 30 days stamp and you can extend it 30 in Bkk.
    Now you can't get 30. It's only good for activating a double entry visa. Which no-one is issuing anyway. Um

15. gungchang

I'll try for one year O visa when I leave the PRC next year or the year after. Kan could prove handy for a 90 day out & in border run.

Chantaburi isn't that far, but the Cambodian visa isn't cheap, and going to the embassy is a minor pest. Then again, one can take a tuk tuk from the bus station to the border and not deal with van or taxi.