1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need to cancel non-b to leave the country?

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by slow riot, 1 Dec 2014.

1. slow riot

slow riot Thread Starter New Member

Hello everyone.

I changed my job in Thailand 3 months ago, but neither my old work permit nor non-b visa have been cancelled.

I'm going to japan on December 15th and will use this occasion to go to the embassy there to apply for a new non-b in order to get a new work permit through my new employer when I'm back.

So, I've read many things about cancelling your non-b and WP.
    I'm asking for your advice because there's a part that doesn't make sense to me, and that I only read about on non-official websites or old pages, but for which I couldn't find any answer on the immigration or labour site.

I understand the logic about cancelling your WP before getting a new one.

But why cancel your visa if it's going to get cancelled when you leave the country without a re-entry permit?

**** the question is here ****
    Some people comment about not being allowed to leave the country (being stopped at the immigration) if your non-b hasn't been cancelled.
    That's what I need to avoid.
    Is it true? It doesn't make sense to me.
    The whole point of getting a re-entry permit is not to get your visa cancelled. Why would they bother people who just want to leave the country?
    They don't even get money out of someone cancelling his visa at jeng watana.

For info, my visa expires on February 3rd. I'm leaving to Japan from Don Muang on December 15th. I'm not Japanese.

I could go to the bangkok immigration on time before my flight, but it wouldn't be the most convenient.

But anyway, if I did have to go, could I get a re-entry permit instead (to still be on my non-b in case there's a problem at the embassy in Japan)?
    Or would the embassy refuse to emit a new visa to replace the old one while the old one is still valid?

Thank you in advance

2. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Passport control will often stop you from leaving if you have a valid w/p and unexpired non-b extension IF you are leaving by ground.

IF you are leaving by air I have never heard of anyone being prevented from leaving for not having an unexpired visa or W/P.
    They may try to explain to you that leaving will void your visa and W/P if you don't have a valid re-entry.\

If you get a re-entry permit and try to exit/return under the sponsorship of your old employer then complications may arise (if your previous employer reports that you no longer work there).

Best to cancel and leave.
    2nd best to just fly out.
    Bad choice to try to stay active under an old sponsorship.

sirchai and Ben Crew like this.
  3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

4. slow riot

slow riot Thread Starter New Member

Thanks a lot to both of you

And sorry for starting this thread which had its answer in those Stamp linked, if the following stills holds :
    I will have the time to go to the ministry of labour on the day I leave.
    It would be less convenient to have to go to my school (for a letter), the immigration, and the ministry on the very Monday I leave. (Can't really do it before)

There are other posts, though, still implying that cancelling the extension of stay has priority over cancelling the WP.

Am I wrong in understanding that this only concerns people who need a 7 days extension, and that no trip to the immigration is needed in my case since I'm going to leave the country on the same day?

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

6. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Why don't you sort out your visa situation now because you're only building up problems for yourself. Get your papers, go to Laos or wherever, get a 90 day Non-b, return, extend it for a year, get a re-entry permit, go to Japan and have a nice holiday. Personally there is no way I would want to be here on anything other than a completely legit basis. As I understand it everything about your situation is illegal - you no longer work at the school for which your current non-B was issued and your work permit is not for your current work place - immigration are not known for their understanding if for any reason that illegal status comes to their attention.

7. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

sorry Portnoy58 it's an old thread but doing some digging for a friend

portnoy58 likes this.
  8. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

bit like me i'm an old teacher!

bahn_farang likes this.
  9. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

You might want to verify that your old school hasn't cancelled your visa already. I thought mine had not only to find that it was and I had to pay 11000 baht overstay.

10. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

The links are URLs of our previous forum software. Indeed, they don't work anymore. Please copy the thread title and paste it in the search box. The thread will come up.

11. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Even if they didn't the OP will only have problems relying on having a visa. This thread is pretty old, but I know of a colleague who tried to do the same and keep the visa and work permit as long as she wanted.

Our local Immigration was so nice to her, did the 90 day form here, told her that she'd have to drive to the previous school to get a letter from school when her last day was, plus the cancellation of the work permit.

She thought she's smarter and wanted to leave over land via Mukdahan without driving to the school. But the red lights went on at Mukdahan Immigration and a full overstay had to be paid by my school, because she had no money.

I was so stupid and gave my word for her, thinking that she'd follow the Immigration's advice.

12. DavidUSA

DavidUSA την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

One would think that it is always better to follow the rules.

13. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I remember leaving the school a few weeks prior to the visa and WP expiring last year. The school provided a letter. This was in the morning. I think I had until the next day to leave, which made it possible to buy a RT ticket to Singapore that afternoon and fly the next day. I did a step out and step back in visa run and never left the airport.