1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCAM Nakhon Phanom University: Be Careful

Discussion in 'Schools you want to talk about' started by DavidUSA, 10 Feb 2016.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

I taught English at Nakhon Phanom University for over two years. My salary was 28,000 Baht per month, and I often taught special classes for various groups in the evenings or on the weekends. Those special classes were paid at various rates: 1000 Baht per hour, 600 Baht per hour, 400 Baht per hour... down to 50 Baht per hour.

One section of the university, the International Aviation College, likes to take the teachers' pay and keep it. That happened to me, to two foreign pilots, and it has happened to two Thai teachers who I used to work with. Classes for the IAC were especially well paid, if one could actually see the money. The two foreign pilots were "hired," but they were not given a salary because of "paperwork difficulties." They were told to keep working and wait for their salary to come.

I watched one young man from New Zealand become desperate as he went months without pay. I believe he became penniless and had to depart Thailand.

The xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dr. xxxxxxxxxx, who is now either in jail or is pending incarceration due to malfeasance, told me to work for 50 Baht per hour instead of the 400 Baht per hour agreed up in my contract. I thought it was kind of funny, at that time. Later he got into hot water for selling fake degrees and putting the money in this bank account.

I saw four out of the five foreign teachers treated badly at NPU. As far as skimming goes, they had a trick for every day of the week and two for on Sunday. Class sizes were gigantic, but I did have some good students. I really tried to benefit those kids, to get them away from FaceBook a little and perhaps learn something.

After the International Aviation College tried to keep 30,000 Baht of my salary, and after watching the administration at NPULI try to siphon a bit off of my other pay from additional classes, I simply went to the police in Bangkok. I got paid in full within 48 hours. I also quit.

So this posting is a warning for anyone who wants to work at NPU. There is a history of malfeasance. Make sure to get everything written into a contract, to include all the details of the special classes as they come up. Don't take a smile for an answer. Otherwise, your pay is going to be a little lighter than what you expected.

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Feb 2016
    Clown likes this.
  2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Edited to avoid defamation cases.

3. DavidUSA

Looking back on my experience in Thailand, and being able to compare it with working in China, I would like to make some positive comments to round out the story.

Anyone could encounter pay issues, no matter where. The "Suvarnabhumi solution" of mine might not be graceful, but it sends a clear message--especially with the aid of two hundred university friends on FaceBook. My departure led to unpaid Thai teachers finally seeing their pay for special classes. Those unexpected entries in KTB bankbooks caused giddiness across part of Isaan. Dee mar.

China. The overall contrast between education in Thailand and education in China is stark. If a Chinese teacher is late by one second his pay is docked. All lessons are rehearsed in full before all of the other teachers. Everything is scrutinized. One's frenemies might not hesitate to point out the weaknesses and mistakes of a lesson--for all to hear. What's the point of this? Performance on standardized tests in math, science, and English is directly linked to economic success for families. In other words, their entire futures are determined by test results--especially the college entrance exam. Everything in the classroom has to be right. It has to lead to success on a standardized test. Competition is lively in class. And one very interesting point: the girls tend to do better than the boys, and the sexes are completely integrated. Did you ever notice that so many Chinese women seem confident and tough-minded? The girls are treated as equals to the boys. Parents could only have one child. Hypothesis: that one child ends up being unisex (to some degree) and this is a result of their now-defunct one-child policy. Instead of having some boys who are like girls and some girls who are like boys, the Chinese just have boys and girls who are equal. The emphasis is on work; they are socialized for working.

Teaching in China. I teach teachers. I stand in front of a room full of people who are smarter than I am and who know English better that I do. It is not a joke. Those standardized tests? You better know how to cross your t's and dot your i's in English, and you better be ready for some tricky questions. A foreign teacher is China has to be one his toes. Why? Again, education in China is primarily a business. It is personal development too, but no one looks at it in this way. Education is the route to financial success. That is one reason a decent foreign teacher is treated as a VIP. You are an important part of the economy. It is also why the entire family is involved and all efforts are made to get calculus and the subjunctive into little Mei Mei's brain box. Mummy and daddy would rather that no expense be spared. Were you a Chinese parent, you would do the same.

Thailand. So are those Chinese kids happy? The ones that go to sleep every single night after one in the morning because of studying? Are they educated? (I would say yes, they are being educated). How about the Thai kids? On the positive side, I think some of the nicest and most decent people I have ever met are Thai. They get an education too, but I am not sure that it really comes from a book or a teacher.

I hope to come back to Thailand sometime and bring the Chinese curriculum for English studies. Why? Because it works. We all like Thailand or else we would not be involved like this. I really hope to give a chance to that bright Thai kid who wants to work and who is interested in English.

"I shall return."

Last edited: 20 Apr 2016
    Clown, bahn_farang and Stamp like this.
  4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for this, DavidUSA. :thumbs up

5. DavidUSA

As ASEAN opens up borders, it might become clear that a causal relationship exists between education and economic success. Having strong English skills allows one to more easily get a decent job outside of Thailand (or for a foreign company inside the country). Having real skills in science and math can lead to supervisory jobs with higher pay. At the end of the day no one is going to laugh at a well-educated young person who lands a high-paying job in Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, or China. People like that are the ones who can come back to Thailand and start their own businesses. This is how it works. Foreign teachers are a catalyst for this process.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2016
  6. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Is it possible that there's an Ex- Sisaket teacher named Emmie, who loves men more than anything else?

i know that he started to work there many moons ago. A tiny guy wearing glasses?

7. NODIIT

NODIIT Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing both your warning and your views about the subject. Food for thought...

8. DavidUSA

He is friendly and professional. His English is excellent. I try to treat everyone the same way. As we all know, one sometimes encounters cultural differences in Thailand; for example, a male may want to be referred to as she, or vice versa. This also happened with certain students. My concern was to help each individual improve his, her, or its English (I'm joking).

Emmie is good people. < colloquial

Last edited: 21 Apr 2016
    sirchai and Stamp like this.