1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My town is flooding

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by Stamp, 2 Nov 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

A great time for snakes, spiders, scorpions, etc...to look for higher grounds and seeking companionship.

Thunderstorms for tonight? Hmm. Stay safe.

Petchaburi weather forecast.png

Last edited: 2 Nov 2016
  2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Think its this one about 10 or 15 clicks from Phetkasem on 3499 which is the road taking you all the way to Keng Krachan. My bad Stamp.

Dam.jpg

3. Joko

Joko Active Member

Wow. Amazing. Isn't the rainy season supposed to be pretty much over by now?

4. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Pictures of the gates in Nong Ya Plong.

14925335_1236814186371413_415570494825584047_n.jpg

14938247_1236814176371414_3489551435301852762_n.jpg

5. Stamp

It's still raining in the province with heavy rain expected 5-7 November. It's all about the river that causes our flooding, Joko. The source of the river, Kaeng Krachan reservoir is empty though.

6. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

7. Stamp

The water level hasn't risen. I cleared everything in my study up to 50 cm above the current water level. School opens on Monday 7 November 2016. Will be leaving for Prachuap. There's nothing to do here.

8. theanimaster

theanimaster Windoze Basher

My wife's house in Bangkok got flooded back when we had that huge flood in 2011. Sand bags don't do shit. My plan was to use concrete blocks and seal off the doorways. Kinda wonder if that would have ever worked better -- or if the water would just come up from the drains and toilets anyways.

In any case, even though we prepared for the worst, we still lost quite a bit -- about THB30,000 in furniture and repairs.

We got a pretty bad scare with the recent hurricane that almost hit us here in FL. I mean, I've endured typhoons (hurricanes) in the Philippines growing up -- but that's because the family house is built like a darn tank. Here in the States houses are literally cardboard shoe boxes. Well, fortunately mine is at least brick box with a cardboard top. That wasn't comforting enough knowing that the hurricane was passing by just less than 40 mi from us!! Fortunately our area didn't flood at all -- and we didn't even lose power. It did get me thinking about purchasing flood insurance though.

Anyways -- hope you get through this with minimal damage. It sucks that Thailand's leaders have filled in many of the waterways of the old -- waterways that were specifically built to mitigate the flooding problems!!

9. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

10. Stamp

My neighbours wrote me that the situation in our neighbourhood got better. The water level went down but mind, we are taking about couple of centimetres only. Other areas got some (new) flooding.

11. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I think that that is exactly what would have happened.
    AFAIK, the best one can do is put up the concrete blocks and plug a commode with a bag of rice and put a seal on the bottom of drain covers. Then, put water proof seals on electrical outlets and turn off the circuit breakers to the outlets. Then, pump or bail water back outside as it gets in. Move everything upstairs or elevate it.

A lot of places did this in 2011, and I saw of lot places flood indoors in spite of all the precautions.

My precaution was to live in a condo. The soi flooded but the water never made it up the driveway. I don't recall the underground parking flooding. We didn't lose electricity.

That's a hell of a lot better than having it rise another couple of cm.