1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My border trip yesterday

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by Tonyja, 7 Aug 2016.

1. Tonyja

Tonyja Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I went to Cambodia (only just) for the day to get a 30 day entry yesterday. I went with a big well known Bkk company and decided to arrive early to get the earlier vans.
    I bet its gonna be deserted at 3:45 I thought as I arrived in Lotus car park at On nut.
    I counted 46 people in the already long cue. 45 Filipinos and a SA and me.
    I got talking to a few people near me and they were telling me they do this every 2 weeks to stay here and work as teachers. Later at the border I found out that they had turned off all alerts for them as well as Vietnamese, Laos and Cambodians, so they could do this forever without any warning to get a visa.
    What a way to be here..doing a hop to Cambodia every 2 weeks in a death van at 4am returning at 4pm.

Clown, gungchang and Stamp like this.
  2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Yep a mad existance eh. That's a lot of Fillipinos doing this and working illegally I presume ...is that they only get 15 days at a time as opposed to many westerners that can get a 30 day job? So much for ASEAN members eh and so much for ASEAN too.

Stamp likes this.
  3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

sounds awful but i guess it's all relative to the life they are trying to escape elsewhere

gungchang and Stamp like this.
  4. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I imagine the Burmese have left even worse behind.

We had a Pinay teacher who couldn't leave the P.I. and return to Thailand. She needed some paperwork from the school, perhaps a contract, and the school would not do it. They wanted teachers to arrive on tourist visas and then convert the visa. I don't understand why they started this practice. They stopped all contracts with foreign teachers and went with an agency. I don't know if "foreign teachers" included the Pinoy teachers or not.