1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mourning clothes: just black or white?

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by Clown, 14 Oct 2016.

1. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

Today in Chiang Mai I saw professional people with the black bow on left arm, also used by women as a Bow tie, lots of guys in black trousers and white shirts. Dressy dresses in black or mixed pattern white and black. Lots of muted colour shirts like poetry's which I found really classy. Lots of beige, Camel, cream or grey warmer garments worn over the outfits.

2. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

The staff at my second job tore down all the Halloween decorations on order of the big boss. No celebrations of any kind are advised. I've worn white, black, and dark colored shirts. From what I've seen, this is more than adequate. You just don't want to appear festive.

3. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

4. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

I would not normally wear black trousers, but in anticipation I did have a pair made a few months back. Machine washable wool, just need to chuck them in a washing machine once a week, and hang them out to dry. Little or no ironing required. I'll get another pair made in due course - about 800 baht as I recall.

I thought my usual where shirts would be OK, but then last Sunday decided I didn't want to look like a student, so went looking for black. Couldn't be found, so settled for a couple of white with black pinstripes, and a couple of black, white and grey plaid; about 500 baht each, so a couple of thousand baht in all. Wore one to work on Monday, and most except senior staff were wearing black, white and grey in various patterns.

The next day we were informed that clothing should be be all plain black, with plain white shirts being an option for men, for the first three months. After that plain grey or dark blue is acceptable, but no patterns. stripes or plaid……. So that's a couple of thousand wasted for me, and probably quite a few others, Thai and foreign.

5. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Day to day life, that is not working, I'm wearing dark coloured shorts (brown, dark blue, black) and dark blue shirts akin to denim. Not a problem at all, and my Thai wife has assured me of this, and no funny stares in public.

However for work, 'all black' end of the month and geared up with some very nice polite black work shirts and a new pair of black trousers too compliments of the wife on a run into Bangkok to buy stock yesterday ....sorted for however long we have to wear black (maybe the next 2 semesters? ... unsure).

sirchai likes this.
  6. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

As of yesterday, I was informed that my school requires black trousers and black or white shirts and black necktie...for one year. Women can wear black dresses or black skirts with black or white blouses. Sure will make laundry easy.

7. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0356.JPG IMG_0363.JPG

Mati likes this.
  8. Clown

There was an event at the town hall. Thousands came. There were drones flying above the crowd.

Ignorant of the event, I did the usual gate duty (all alone), wearing grey slacks and a pink shirt.
    Had to change into all black.

No classes today.

9. Clown

10. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

I think all pictures are black & white now...

11. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Back 2 skool. The word is "for a year" so the next 2 complete semesters.
    Day 2 and all the female staff in full black with long skirts, the men 80% full black and a few black trousers with white shirt, but if wearing a white shirt black tie as well. I'm gonna stick to the full black as really dislike wearing a tie in the many days of heat we have here.

BTW: I work at a private school but I presume same/similar attire and timeframe for government school teachers.

12. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

How have tourists been asked to dress?

13. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Well-Known Member

It's for a year too here. Men seem to prefer the white shirt with black tie. Women black as expected.

14. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

It is at my government school. Sure makes laundry easy.

15. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Black or white at my government school for the year. I have roughly 15 white shirts half long and half short sleeved so no need to spend money on the new uniform.