1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Thailand...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by theanimaster, 21 Apr 2014.

1. theanimaster

theanimaster Thread Starter Windoze Basher

I put this in Health & Fitness because... well... mental health is health, isn't it?

So, I have just celebrated one full year away from Thailand -- back on the 9th of April of course -- and I'm still missing being there.

Let me explain this: the reason I left was because:

• immigrations is an a••hole to foreigners
    • politics is BS in the country
    • people are smiley but fake
    • there is rampant disregard for human life
    • education sucks (and I have two kids)
    • salary was crap, hardly enough to save up for anything

So I thought going "back" to the USA would solve things. After all I'm American (though not domiciled American) right?

Well guess what I found out?

• still have to deal with immigrations -- for my wife and kids (although it is a world smoother dealing w immigrations here)
    • politics is BS here in America as well -- just that you're too insignificant to even make a difference, when congresspeople get paid a million a year to sit on their ass and the government shuts down... says it all
    • people are smiley and fake but polite and will work against you behind your back -- I traded bottled up emotions for passive-agressiveness by moving to America
    • there is rampant disregard for emotional wellbeing of individuals and Americans wonder why people shoot the f•ck out of everything and bomb stuff -- yet everyone is offended and it's not OK to be 'offended'
    • education sucks but because of the amount of individual 'freedom' it leads to more independent thinking -- and arrogance.
    • Americans don't like smart people -- they are offended by people smarter than themselves. So much for the first amendment -- you can't just tell a person how stupid they are, lest you offend them. There are ways to tell a person they're worthless -- and managers are usually legally great at doing this
    • salary is decent where I'm currently at -- but will still take a good number of years saving up anything significant enough for a car, house and peace-of-mind
    • I'm otherwise screwed without a good-enough credit score because insurance rates and down payments on loans cost shitloads
    • I feel I can't go on another year without BEING with my kids -- and no one here gives a f•ck about that -- as I said -- emotional wellbeing? What's that?
    • Everything is more expensive in America and yet we get a lot of low-quality crap here in terms of theatres, stationery, fast-food services, shopping and restaurants. In short, entertainment is worlds better in Thailand.
    • Women are fuglier here in America than in Thailand. Some of the ones I have seen are atrocities to good health and show just how hideous the human species can become -- and McDonalds here isn't HALF as good as it is in Thailand and that's saying A LOT!

So it seems there's a good chance I will be returning to Thailand -- if I land a decent place at an international school. I don't think I'd settle for less. I have 8 years of teaching in Thailand, will probably stay here long enough to have a year of teaching here (after this current job I have), and I will hopefully have a PGCE under my belt as well (wouldn't have the gall to apply to an IS without one).

The things one wakes up to after a year. All of you who think Thailand is terrible -- back the f•ck away when I return.

Mister T and Mati like this.
  2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Thank you very much for this update, theanimaster.

I take it that your family is re-united. Very glad for you.

:thumbsup2:

Thank you very much. :thai wai:

3. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. I know that with council tax on top of high rent and all, I could barely save anything back in the UK once one has a car. I would be working to pay for the car, BTW...

And there would be someone breathing down your neck - what I loathe. Here, in a classroom, you are still in charge...

Hope you will make it, wherever you go.

4. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Perhaps we should take a moment on term break and ask "Would Thailand miss me?"

Ah, yes, that smiling fit young man who never talks too fast - I always get his jokes!
    Yup, I'd be missed!

5. theanimaster

theanimaster Thread Starter Windoze Basher

Actually not yet : ( Working towards that still...

6. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Hoping that everything works out well, mate. :happy1:

theanimaster likes this.