1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microbuses to replace passenger vans this year

Discussion in 'General News from Thailand' started by Stamp, 7 Jan 2017.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

• 6 Jan 2017 at 18:07
    The Transport Ministry has ordered that all 6,400 interprovincial passenger vans operating out of Bangkok be replaced with microbuses by year-end to improve safety.

The 6,431 vans operating under concessions from the state-owned Transport Co would be phased out starting from July 1, Deputy Transport Minister Pichit Akrathit said on Friday.

"Although many people believe that microbuses are more expensive than vans, microbuses are safer, have a longer life and carry more passengers," he said. "Operational costs will drop. Vans have been abused for public transport."

The new buses would carry up to 20 passengers, while vans typically carry 12-15 people.

Mr Phichit said there had been too many accidents involving passenger vans running between Bangkok and other provinces.

The replacement of vans running between other provinces would also start July 1 but would take longer because there were 2,771 vans on such routes, with lower frequencies and fewer accidents, he said.

To help operators, the government could extend their concession periods, have state-run banks offer loans for the purchase of microbuses, and facilitate sales of used vans, he added.

Pol Maj Gen Amnat An-atngam, acting director of Transport Co, said the 6,431 passenger vans included about 4,000 vans belonging to small operators, most of whom owned just one vehicle.

Read the whole article here: Microbuses to replace passenger vans | Bangkok Post: news

2. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Since it is the drivers of such vehicles that cause most of the accidents, an unbiased observer (*raises hand*) might wonder what is being done to upgrade their reliability.

3. Stamp

Is this really the solution?

If the drivers' attitude, performance and wage system don't change, the passengers who could be killed in accidents is about 25% higher.

If this doesn't work out, I guess the Ministry is going to ban micro-busses too.

Come one, Ministry, it's about the drivers of the vehicles. Not the vehicles.

Hey_ewe and SageAdvice like this.
  4. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

How typically Thai, to completely ignore the problem that stands out as clearly as bollocks on a bulldog and use tragedy as an excuse to buy something expensive that will make ‘someone' a lot of money. If only they knew someone who could supply these microbuses at double the market value.

I will say the LPG vans are a hazard by design but it’s the primitive Thai driving standards that are the problem.

spidey, Stamp and SageAdvice like this.
  5. Stamp

sirchai likes this.
  6. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

Improve? Ba hahaha!
    Kanchanaburi has had a micro bus service for a few years. Big, wide and wallowing everywhere like it's about to roll at any moment at 100kph. People falling everywhere, hideously unstable and still driven by fools.
    Umm

Hey_ewe likes this.
  7. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

the ponpem is that the drivers are incentivised to hurry up and begin another trip. they hustle to the destination based on their own personal interests.

if they were allowed only 8 hours per day, and this were monitored, then imo there would be little need for them to race around and take unnecessary risks on the road.

we were in a van to ko chang and although happy to get there in good time, there were a few times when we were like OH JESUS while he passed cars on the other side of the road.

there are just too many irregularities on the road with busses and a haphazard u-turn system going on there. if the multi-person van or bus drivers had safety and a true jai yen yen spirit, it would minimize things greatly.

maybe some state-subsidized salaries for drivers? (never gonna happen...who's going to make money there?....ok how about buying new busses...GREAT! there's loads of graft available there)

8. tiredtony

They ARE allowed only a certain amount of hours a day..Thats the problem. It should be based on distance not time. I was in a van from Bkk to Kan (again) and the driver was telling me proudly how many trips he can do if he really hammers it. Great!

stfranalum likes this.
  9. tiredtony

LOl... reminds of a super slow frightening van also..from NP to Bkk. He was doing 40-60 in the fast lane the whole time. Safer i s'pose but i was just waiting for a rear end smash.

10. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

What about training courses for the drivers, several drug and liver tests, etc..?

And perhaps a special permit that has to be renewed yearly without cheating? Oh, forgot, the whole land is based on cheating.

Who'll buy Somchai's old van?

11. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

^*tsk*...such cynicism:smiling

12. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Its the freaking drivers and the conditions on the roads!!! Back in the early 2000's I thought to myself that things would improve here, the nepotism would disapate and only people that are truly competent would rise to decision making positions of power........:huh but I was wrong. The stupidity is.....is...you just have to laugh because if you dont it can all become a little bit frustrating.

So, at the end of the day all the yabaa filled/ sleep deprived van drivers will probably end up having to drive BIGGER vehichles with even MORE people in them. I dont get it....I just dont get it

sirchai likes this.
  13. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

A really good one. The distance to my school is 23 km when I take the "shortcut", these days very busy because people are trying to avoid to drive on the 226 highway. They constantly fix the road and after fixing some potholes, they basically built something that's even worse than a pothole.They put around 7 to 10 cm of asphalt on the area where the pothole was.

The "street fighters", together with the drivers of vans who also take the shortcut now seem to be on the same educational level.

They fix the road every month instead of doing a good job once. It's the non-existing and not free education that's causing the accidents.

They had just finished a 3 km part that was extremely well, but after filling some tiny potholes the new road became a very dangerous street. Not the buffaloes, dogs, cows and other animals that might come along scare me.

The two-legged buffaloes are the ones who scare the shit out of me every day on my way to work and back home. None of them would even have the balls to drive to a bigger city like Ubon, not even mentioning Bangkok.

The drivers in this rural area have at least one in common. They do not know how to drive and I always have to think for them.