1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MEP Open House

Discussion in 'Social and Public Events Calender' started by natewill, 12 Jun 2016.

1. natewill

natewill Thread Starter Active Member

I assume every region in Thailand has an MEP Open House with singing contests and spelling bees, right? What do your contests look like? The northern Thailand Open House is coming up in August so we are starting to prepare our students for the singing contest, the spelling bee, the speech contest, the storytelling competition, the science and math projects....

2. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Well-Known Member

Same in Central & Eastern Region on the 15th of July. A venue at Samut Prakan.

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Helped and trained students several times when working in a primary EP.

What do you mean with that, natewill?

sirchai likes this.
  4. natewill

natewill Thread Starter Active Member

I was thinking along the lines of 'what contest events do you have' or 'what events does your school participate in' or something along those lines. Or anything, really.

I got assigned the skit and the singing this year. The singing is no problem, but this is the first year our school has participated in the skit, mainly because this is the first year we've had enough students and teachers to support training for all the events. Last year, I think we participated in about half of them.

5. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

What do your contests look like?

Stuttering bees without wings, ( depending on school and model) memorized sentences mumbled by little to big Thai kids, fancy story tellers who even top those guys from Marrakesh with their venom -less snakes. Sometimes native judges from Mushgtefdrebhagatyd/ Nigeria, surrounded by Somtham Lao eating Thai judges, who never wipe their butts after making "big" , and usually don't understand Queen's English and let the Tinglish speakers win.
    What was the question again?

6. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I helped my son and the four girls who had a pretty cool skit about three years ago, but only after I changed the whole wrong written English, spent a long time to change, add, change and add and to train all of them, when to use body language, when to smile and how.

A few months of hard work.

I've attached the semi final in Mukdahan, where they "only made the sixth place". The winner was- of course- the hosting school.

When they made it to Bangkok, their "no name school" ( a 120 student Isaan Anuban that goes from KG to M 3) bet the shite" out of all the other schools with EP's.

The kids ( in M 2 this time) and all involved received gold and the kids saw when 400 K changed the owner. The teachers then enjoyed a real luxury holiday in Rayong and some cash was split between some assholes.

The kids who worked really hard didn't even get a chewing gum. That was a lesson for all of us. Never again. They could read their teachers' posts on facebook how they spent the money the kids had won.

Do you think that somebody thanked me for making it happen? Forget it.

Sorry, the record wasn't clear and other guys did their skits next to them.

P.S. And the gold medals are only gold coated. Fits to the whole bs. Best of luck, your name will never be mentioned, should you achieve something. Just to let you know that you're only a tool.

7. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

And to think there are those who whinge about Thais being xenophobic.

Thankfully I have little experience in government schools. The best teacher I encountered was a Ugandan (a mate of Big Mike) who speaks English flawlessly. The NES I encountered were poon-bandits and piss pots.

As for judging the speaking competitions, the NES scored in favor of fluency, the Thai teachers judged according to a student's social status. Sometimes there was agreement, sometimes not, but that is the way it went.

In two years, I saw somtum being prepared by teaching staff once, and that was a day no kids were present.

Perhaps what you see is what you want to see, and personal prejudices/ insecurities flavor your perception of reality. At any rate, it is highly unlikely the scenario you lay out is nothing more than racist hyperbole, and moreover likely has no place in polite conversation.

To say I find it distasteful would be akin to saying I suspect the pope might be catholic.