1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medical Check-up

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Stamp, 14 Jul 2016.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

It was in November 2014 that I had my blood checked at a 'blood clinic' and thought, now at the age of 58, that I had to do it again including some additional checks. I had my blood tested on
    • FBS (blood glucose test)
    • Cholesterol
    • Triglyceride
    • HDL
    • LDL
    This time I had the blood also checked on the liver functions
    • AST and ALT
    and prostate cancer
    • PSA (prostate specific antigen)

FBS is on the edge and yes, cholesterol, triglyceride and LDL levels are too high. They already where in 2014. Liver functions and prostate are without any problems.

Guess looking more at what I eat and exercising is what is needed.

What about you? Do you check your health from time to time?

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Not often but had a free NHS health check with bloodwork too back in March 2015 whilst on holiday in UK .... all good no worries. I suppose I've got to look forward as being as old as you Stamp lol. Keep well Stamp and they say you are what you eat.

Stamp likes this.
  3. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

I am sooooo not going there!

But on topic: I get checked once a year. Have to, what with a slightly weakened ticker.

Stamp likes this.
  4. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

Get all of these done every two years, last one in Feb this year. Triglyceride was up a bit, stopped eating pork products and it went back in normal range after three months.

Clown and Stamp like this.
  5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Will never get a check up, they just take the piss

6. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

nope, i probably should do with my diet but then i probably don't really want the results...

7. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

I don't go for a checkup. Don't have much spare cash. Even if they find something, I don't have money to pay for the treatment. I just watch my diet and exercise. And try to stay in some sort of positive mood.

8. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

I've been doing those blood checks and more since I turned 40. I'm 53 now. Even back in America, it only cost about $60 and another $60 to talk things over with the doctor. Here, it's a little cheaper...so, why not? I don't go every year, but often enough to have peace of mind. I guess it's been awhile, so thanks for the reminder.

Stamp likes this.
  9. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

All the tests mentioned above cost $36. Blood for the PSA test was sent to Bangkok but cost were included.

10. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

In the UK, courtesy of our beloved NHS, general medicine is led by blood testing. If you go to your doctor chances are s/he'll send you off for a blood test as it usually provides a very good indicator of general health and shows the way for diagnostic processes in the event of unusual findings.

Here in LOS everything seems to be prescription led. I was prescribed a pile of meds for hypertension a few years ago and I am not really sure I actually have or had hypertension. However I was showing up for an appointment with a cardiologist every two months who gleefully would tell me to lose weight and give me a script for another set of meds at a cost of 4,500 THB! It was me who had to suggest a blood test after a year of this rigmarole and also as I was showing side effects, notably a high level of fatigue - my concerns about side effects fell on deaf ears.

Fortunately I have a family member who is a cardiologist and I got in touch with him and he has really helped me get to grips with this situation. I'm down to the minimum dose of two meds and off the third altogether which he identified as being responsible for most of the side effects. He's checked my blood work and a ECG and told me everything is 'plum normal'. He's advised on diet and life style. This morning I ran for about 23 minutes and am doing a 3 km fun run in Nakhon Pathom tomorrow morning. My weight is reducing, my BP is under control, I'm actually feeling good .... and I hope to be off all meds in the next few months.

So I would strongly recommend periodic blood testing and checking BP. On the latter however I wouldn't advise random measuring, and I would be highly suspicious of doctors who want to prescribe you medication in the basis of a one off elevated reading. I would suggest measuring BP first thing in the morning and recording readings and taking averages; I even go so far as suggesting taking three readings at a time and averaging them - BP varies in the space of 20 seconds. You can get a monitor from Boots.

However my experience is it's very difficult to get meaningful input from health professionals here. Fortunately there's a lot of information online about how to interpret blood test results. If you have any major concerns about your health I'd head into one of the better hospitals in Bangkok like Bangkok Christian Hospital or St Louis where you have a better chance of being seen by a competent physician.

11. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

I go to Viphavadi General Hospital in Bangkok. They have a whole menu of check-up options. The basic checkup runs 2200 thb. As I am over 40 and not exactly a fit young man I do the 'executive' check-up.

1. Program Standard A
    (Male/ Female Age Less than 30 years)
    1. Physical Examination
    2 .Complete Blood Count
    3. Fasting blood sugar
    4. Bun
    5. Creatinine
    6. SGOT, SGPT,
    Alkaline Phosphatase,Bilirubin,Direct Bilirubin,Total Protein,Albumin,Globulin
    7. Total Cholesterol Triglyceride, HDL-C, LDL-C
    8. Urine exam
    9. Chest X-ray
    10. Medical Report
    11. Complimentary Brakfast Voucher
    COSTS BATH 2,200

2. ProgramStandard B
    (Male/ Female Age Less than 30 years)

1. Physical Examination
    2. Complete Blood Count
    3.Fasting blood sugar
    4. Bun
    5. Creatinine
    6. SGOT, SGPT
    Alkaline Phosphatase,Bilirubin,Direct Bilirubin,Total Protein,Albumin,Globulin
    7. Total Cholesterol Triglyceride, HDL-C, LDL-C
    8. Anti-HAV lgG
    9. HBs Ag, HBs Ab,HBc Ab
    10.Anti-HCV
    11.Urine exam
    12.Chest X-ray
    13.Medical Report
    14.Complimentary Brakfast Voucher
    COSTS BATH 3,900

3. ProgramStandard C
    (Male/ Female Age Less than 30 yearsup)

1. Physical Examination
    2. Complete Blood Count
    3. Fasting blood sugar
    4. Bun
    5. Creatinine
    6. Uric acid
    7. SGOT, SGPT Alkaline Phosphatase,Bilirubin,Direct Bilirubin,Total Protein,Albumin,Globulin
    8. Total Cholesterol Triglyceride, HDL-C, LDL-C
    9. AFP
    10. CEA
    11. Stool exam/Occult blood
    12.Urine exam
    13.Chest X-ray
    14. EKG
    15.Ultrasound Whole Abdomen
    16.Medical Report
    17.Complimentary Brakfast Voucher
    COSTS BATH 6,000

4. ProgramStandard Plus
    ( Female, Age 30 yearsup)

1. Physical Examination
    2. Complete Blood Count
    3. Fasting blood sugar
    4. Bun
    5. Creatinine
    6. Uric Acid
    7. SGOT, SGPT Alkaline Phosphatase,Bilirubin,Direct Bilirubin,Total Protein,Albumin,Globulin
    8.AFP
    9. CEA
    10. Total Cholesterol Triglyceride, HDL-C, LDL-C
    11.Urine exam
    12.Stool exam/Occult blood
    13. Chest X-ray
    14.EKG
    15.Ultrasound Whole Abdomen
    16. (ThinPrep/SurePath)
    17.Medical Report
    18.Complimentary Brakfast Voucher
    COSTS BATH 7,100

5.ProgramExecutive
    (Male, Age 40 yearsup)

1. Physical Examination
    2. Eye Examination
    3. Dental Examination
    4. Complete Blood Count
    5. Fasting blood sugar
    6. Bun
    7. Creatinine
    8. Uric Acid
    9. SGOT, SGPT Alkaline Phosphatase,Bilirubin,Direct Bilirubin,Total Protein,Albumin,Globulin
    10. AFP
    11. CEA
    12.PSA
    13. Total Cholesterol Triglyceride, HDL-C, LDL-C
    14.Urine exam
    15.Stool exam/Occult blood
    16.Chest X-ray
    17.EKG
    18.Ultrasound Whole Abdomen
    19.แดง Ankle Brachial Index
    20.Medical Report
    21.Complimentary Breakfast Voucher
    COSTS BATH 7,800

6.ProgramExecutive (Female, Age 40 yearsup)
    1. Physical Examination
    2. Eye Examination
    3. Dental Examination
    4. Complete Blood Count
    5. Fasting blood sugar
    6. Bun
    7. Creatinine
    8. Uric Acid
    9. SGOT, SGPT Alkaline Phosphatase,Bilirubin,Direct Bilirubin,Total Protein,Albumin,Globulin
    10. AFP
    11. CEA
    12. (ThinPrep/SurePath)
    13. Total Cholesterol Triglyceride, HDL-C, LDL-C
    14.Urine exam
    15.Stool exam/Occult blood
    16.Chest X-ray
    17.EKG
    18.Ultrasound Whole Abdomen
    19.Ankle Brachial Index
    20.Medical Report
    21.Complimentary Brakfast Voucher
    COSTS BATH 8,300

Stamp likes this.
  12. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Oh also Viphavadi General gives you a booklet (in the mail) that shows the results of each test and doctor recommendations. I think the last one I got had just one recommendation. Something about choosing a plot and a headstone. Not sure what the doc was on about.

Stamp likes this.
  13. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

My wife's a manager at an upscale beauty clinic. She's been in the business for a long time and knows many doctors and nurses. I usually take her along with me on visits. She advises that it is a business and doctors will sell as much as they can. When I first came to Thailand, I would go to a famous hospital in Sukhumvit. They were just ridiculous with their recommendations of medication. I found the opposite with my doctor at Vibhavadi. He didn't want to prescribe anything. I deduced the best method of action from both and sent my wife to Victory Monument to buy wholesale medication when it was needed.

14. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

My presence in China has resulted in a thorough look-see in Thailand and two here in Inner Mongolia.

Prior to that, a hospital came to the school annually. Of course, nobody ever thought to tell me so that I could fast the night before for the blood work.

I had one other exam because I was over 60 and getting a new insurance policy with my new contract. The doctor had attended the school where I worked. I had a lot of fun telling him what a crappy school he had attended. He looked shocked and asked why I felt that way. I replied that I taught there. He accepted my answer.