1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medical certificates for work permits

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by Rastus, 26 Apr 2014.

1. Rastus

Rastus Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I looked at a job ad posted yesterday. It asks for a doctor's certificate from a government hospital

I have been asked by an employer to get a medical certificate for when I apply for a work permit. The member of staff specifically said "government hospital". I have had medical certificates before but I always got them from private hospitals. I don't want to spend hours in a long queue in a busy government hospital if I don't need to.

Does anybody know if the rules or regulations regarding medical certificates for work permit purposes has been changed recently? Or is there a new (or old) stipulation that is being enforced?

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

2. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

You should ask your local labor office. Some insist on a certificate from a hospital with the whole range of tests which can cost up to 800 Baht, others are content with a certificate from a clinic. I got my work permit yesterday with a certificate from a local doctor for 50 Baht. No blood test, no examination except measuring blood pressure. I asked the labor office before if a certificate from a clinic would be sufficient. They said yes.
    Update:
    Just looked at the job ad:
    Foreign Teacher Requirements are as follows:
    3 Police background check from your native country is required to get work permit.
    6 Have work permit and Insurance
    7 Have teacher license Possess a certificate of teaching English TESOL/TEFL or equivalent
    8 2 years+ experience in teaching (priority will be given to teachers with experience in Asia)

In 11 years of teaching here I never needed a police background check to get a work permit.
    Do they expect you to have your own work permit and your own health insurance?
    You need a teacher's licence and a TESOL/TEFL!
    The header says at least 30,000; later on in the ad it says salary between 28,000 - 30,000.

A hell of a lot demands for 30 k.

Rastus likes this.
  3. Corsair

Corsair Well-Known Member

I have read conflicting accounts on the Internets. Much of the conflict also might be date related, I did not note. For instance, older posts or persons working in marginal situations, maybe a clinic might have done, still, there are many accounts of persons stating they were however informed of need of cert from (govt) hospital.

I recently poked around two clinics, one was happy to take my money but did not even have a printed letterhead. The other, doctor advised going to hospital and would not do they check.

If you are in BKK just go to (govt) HuaChiew hospital, they will fix you up in a few hours for <b750. MRT to HuaLampong, walk 15mins or taxi.

Hope this helps.

Rastus likes this.
  4. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Yes, they changed in 2011. I remember because the teachers who went for the test a month after me had to get the new type.

You now need to have a blood test to check for Syphilis, along with a certificate of general health. I needed one for my WP renewal in 2012, even though I was staying at the same school. I got that one at a private hospital (800B) but the next I went to a clinic (400B).

This is in Bangkok mind.

Rastus likes this.
  5. Rastus

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to take luibkk's advice and ask at the local labor office. After all, it will be them who will issue the WP.

The last time I got a medical certificate was in 2011 and it cost me about 50 baht at a private hospital. All the ones I've had in the past were the same simple format - the same form probably (elephantitis, etc). GanDoonToonPet, do you know if there is a new type of standard form for the medical? And if so, does anyone know where one can be downloaded from?

6. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

The answer is right there.

7. Corsair

Why waste your time, you know the govt hospital is foolproof. So what if someone says X at the labor office, when you get there another person will say oh nooooo, we need Y. TiT.

So all the time, taxis, b300 for bogus cert all in the bin on a chance. Good money after bad.

Only way I would trust them if they told me anything will do is if I recd that reply in person (which is more time and money).

HuaChiew had the std form in the computer, I think this is sop. My impression from the dr in the clinic - who would not do me and referred me to hospital is that is what is required. I'm sure thus is info from Thais not a group of farand coming back to the clinic complaining the cert not accepted.

Up to you.

- - - Updated - - -

As I stated, there is a standard form. I'm sure you can find a link somewhere but having some dicey clinic ink stamp the letterhead is your problem. The dr streesed to me need for letterhead (printed).

As you can already see in the comments, b50? (b250), me thinks labor office is well onto this scam. Good luck and no tears to save b350 eh?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a sample form and I scanned it for you but I get a failed to upload (256k), so that is that.

8. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Cannot be done in our province. Blood test is required.

Corsair likes this.
  9. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

I know. I got a certificate for the work permit from a clinic in Prachuap last year. They did the blood test alright, but nothing else. Two years ago I got a certificate from the local government hospital in Loei. 60 Baht, no blood test.
    So what I'm saying is check with your local labor office. After all, this is Thailand and rules may be enforced or not.

Corsair, you're right. Up to you.

10. Corsair

Two years ago. Two years ago there were: TCC, TCT exam and multiple waivers. :smile2:

Bros, here is the form if you are inclined to buck the evidence. Self, Stamp and apparently luinkk all have confirming and conforming opinion that blood trst (xray?) needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdwids3ffq7cok6/med.cert.2014.corsair.pdf

See above for scanned blank med form 2014.

Rastus likes this.
  11. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Lampang Province you need a certificate from a doctor to gain a new work permit blue book. You do not need one if you are just extending your blue book

12. Rastus

Thanks, Corsair. That looks the same as the form I have used in the past. I'm pretty sure I'm still elephantitus free so fingers crossed I haven't developed leprosy in the last 3 years. :smile2:

13. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

You need a certificate that you are free of the four diseases stated in the form which is usually done by a blood test but sometimes the doc decides by having a close look at you.

14. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I needed a report for new medical insurance. It involved an EKG and tests from chemistry, hematology, and immunology.

A dozen tests and face time with a doctor cost 5,500 baht at Camillian Hospital, which I thought was quite reasonable. I don't doubt that this is more than a gov't. hospital, but the convenience was certainly worth it.

Camillian is a smaller hospital and not at all intimidating. One doesn't need a Sherpa guide. An English speaker stayed with me the entire time. I showed up late in the morning, walked to a Mexican restaurant for lunch and shopped at Villa, came back, and was out the door with the results by mid-afternoon. I also had some STD tests since they were drawing blood anyway. What a deal!

15. Corsair

I would also agree, the job makes a lot of demands. It doesn't have a good vibe to me. This and this and nit nit and you must and you will...

Many of these "requirements" like all ads are what they ask, applicants they get ate another story.

Things like police checks I read as you may be required. They eant to sift out the creepers. Don't let it dissuade you unless you have been convicted of being creepy.

Looks like it was written by overly aggressive farang. Fine for early March, but he may need luck if tje job still is not filled a month later. Wonder why...

Incidently, if you are US this job is well below minimum wage for a full 7.5 hr day. Even 35k comes in at abt b230 or US7.

- - - Updated - - -

PS an old cheap hospital for full checkups in St. Louis. It is a teaching hospital in Sathorn.