1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help May I renew my work permit without presence?

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by Ajarn Greg, 18 Sep 2016.

1. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Thread Starter Well-Known Member

The story has like this. We started from school last Thursday to renew visa and WP. After a successful procedure at the immigration office and on our way to the Labor Office. The school van that I was riding had a fatal accident with a pickup.
    Currently I am hospitalized with around 20 stitches on my head and other minor injuries. School's secretary was also a passenger at the van and broke both her legs...
    The problem is that my WP will expire in a week and I think that they need me in person to renew it, does any one have any experience where this "in person"was skipped? And if yes which is the most appropriate way?
    Thank You.

Stamp likes this.
  2. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Sign a power of attorney document. It's standard with the Department of Labor. Sorry to hear about the accident.

Ajarn Greg and Stamp like this.
  3. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Sorry, to hear about your and your school colleague's injuries. You shouldn't be too worried about your work permit.

Power of attorney, or send a friend to the DoL who'll bring the document to sign to you and all will be fine.

More importantly, get well soon.!!!!

You wouldn't believe how nice Thai people can be under such circumstances.

Can you find out if the form is already filled out? I'm sure that somebody from our DoL would come and assist in doing the paperwork, it's basically only about a signature.

Best of luck, i truly hope that you won't have any issues after that. Make sure that all neccasary X Rays will be done. I was almost killed by another Pick up driver on my way to work, nobody was even thinking about checking on my spine and ribs.

I had very serious injuries at my spine, three broken ribs but was sent home after six hours.

Cheers, mate.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2016
  4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

IMG_0054.JPG

Ajarn Greg likes this.
  5. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Surely that office will work with you on this. By the way, did you know that Thailand is the second most dangerous place on the earth for fatalities on the highway? No joke. Guess who is worst? Libya--and they are having a war.

Ajarn Greg likes this.
  6. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

So sorry to hear this. I can say that in 11.5 years at same school have only had to appear in person twice ...once when I started and randomly after 7 years. I'm fairly sure a representative/your boss can do it for you and I'm very sure that they will understand your situation. Best of luck mate from now on and hope you recover well and the secretary too. Take care GBG.

Oh quick edit Greg ...all I have had to furnish on occasions where my boss has gone by herself is a med cert. , never had to sign or furnish a power of attorney thing, hope this helps and like I said I am sure they will understand your unfortunate situation.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2016
    Ajarn Greg likes this.
  7. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

By law you are required to be at Immigration in person to renew your visa….. Though I know quite a few people who have not done so for years. They have agents who have an "arrangement" with immigration. I have also seen people who are obviously agents turn up at Immigration with several passports to have visas renewed.

For the work permit, you are not required to be there in person. Indeed, at the local Labour Department office, it seems they would prefer not see foreigners! They require that all forms are filled out in Thai. Fill in the Power of Attorney, as mentioned in a previous post, and you are good to have someone else do it for you.

8. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Get well soon

It's been a week how did it go?

Hope to hear that the immigration department where you live has a heart!

9. Ajarn Greg

Thanks for the wishes.
    Still having some pain here and there but feel better for sure.
    I was "lucky" as I renewed my visa some minutes before the accident which happened on the way to the labor office. Thus, I followed the advice given here to sign a "power of attorney" and leave the school staff to take care. The have managed to renew the work permit without any issues.
    As for me I will return to school with the new semester if everything goes well.

10. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

IMG_0057.JPG

Ajarn Greg likes this.
  11. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Best wishes and enjoy the holiday.

Ajarn Greg likes this.
  12. Ajarn Greg

These are some shots from the place of the accident... maybe I was really lucky.

accident1.jpg

accident2.jpg

Stamp likes this.
  13. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Great news on your work permit, get well soon

Your signature of TiT is so apt with the photo... without that man pointing, I wouldn't know that I was looking at two very badly damaged/destroyed vehicles!

Ajarn Greg likes this.
  14. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

15. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

Dear Greg
    I just noticed all about what you went through.

I wish you speedy recovery and....keep smiling