1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost in translation, losing face

Discussion in 'General News from Thailand' started by Gor Blimey Guvnur!, 28 Nov 2016.

1. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! Thread Starter What the duck ! Staff Member

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:celebrate1

3. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Lot of criticism from Thais ....seems they don't like being made a mockery of. Funny how those programs I used to see on Thai TV with the token Thai speaking farang just there to make fun of ...that's okay by them but this is not.
    However, the best comment in the video was by one of the boys saying " grammar, grammar, grammar only for six years" ...that is a valid point and this is where many Thais truly fall short in being able to communicate effectively.

marcusb likes this.
  4. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Well-Known Member

He's learned the language but missed a key point in learning about the culture.. No doubt Thai edu system needs improvement but ridiculing people to make his point says more about his character than any point he's trying to make....must be a real arse in the classroom.

sirchai and stfranalum like this.
  5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

So this guy used to be a missionary. What a terribly insensitive and mean spirited way to highlight what is an already widely known problem. Bet his god wouldn't like what he is doing! Treat others how you wish to be treated. His Thai ain't all that either!

Here's one guy who just lost his place in the promised land.

sirchai likes this.
  6. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

The youtuber is a moron with an entitled sense of humor.

7. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Lol, and after viewing a couple of his vids, yep you can say that. However, 1.4 million subscribers and this video alone 945,000 hits so far. There are loads of so-called funny youtubers out there doing quite well for themselves, and some of them make quite a bit of dosh doing so ....is that not the end goal?

Here's another one Jonathon Pie on Trump ...2.6 million hits and he's only got 148,000 subscribers.

But hey give him a break, he looks rather young BF.

8. bahn_farang

Ordinarily the young would be warrant a break, but when the word missionary surfaces, I see red. Disgusting peddling of untruths

9. bahn_farang

Sorry GBG

10. Buoyant

Buoyant Member

It's hard to believe that his degree of fluency could be accompanied by such a horrible accent. I think he must be purposely laying it on thick for effect.

11. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

It's completely unfunny. A man says he's on his period to random strangers? A period could mean a break or recess...could it not? Clearly, a man could not have a periodic menstrual cycle event. What a Jack A__.

I've met many of these types (stereo?) over the years in Thailand. How sad.

12. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

sirchai likes this.
  13. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Even when it first looks funny how the Thai people react ( I guess it wasn't the first foreign weirdo who approached them in the capital) it's finally pretty nasty.

What would a foreigner living here for 20 years think when a Thai with a running cam would approach him and ask him in Thai how sex with his own mom is?

And asking the girls such stupid questions is more than inappropriate to me.

Just in my own personal opinion: the kid didn't get enough milk from his mom's tits and the Immigration wouldn't make a big mistake to get rid of him. Especially so short after the passing of his Majesty the King.

I assume the guy's American, so why isn't he doing some advertisement for his mates, Mr. Nate?

( No offense to American members here, the clip is made by CNN and on youtube)

And this masterpiece should show him the door:

Last edited: 28 Nov 2016