1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lampang Jobs Available

Discussion in 'Teaching Jobs You Know Of' started by bahn_farang, 29 Jun 2016.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hello folks, to prevent the usual mix of toxic comments of how unattractive the salary, working conditions or location..... a simple message to let you know that there are English teaching jobs available in Lampang. Immediate start. More details can be obtained via a private message.

The pay ain't good, the students ain't fluent in English and yes the school wants a younger applicant. There are no doubt nicer places to live and shock horror the level of communication in school is poor to zero. If you or anyone you know is looking to start or start again this job may suit you. You will be, at times asked to do stuff you won't believe and you will never be appreciated to the level you think is appropriate. Some of the students may well refuse to speak or make smart comments. You will be rolled out for photo calls and your face used in publicity material to signal the school's readiness for ASEAN. The dress code will annoy you almost as much as the gate duty. Some of your co-workers will conspire behind your back and there is a very good chance that despite you working your fingers to the bone, providing free extra lessons to enthusiastic students, and paying for resources out of your own pocket that your contract will not be renewed. The technology will be at best intermittently working. The small minded mentality of the town will at times get you screaming.

But... you may not encounter any of the above (I do guess that you will)

I look forward to the messages

Tonyja, portnoy58, professeur and 2 others like this.
  2. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Lamping....sounds like a nice gig

c433ba6a7d3c8dbbc08b0c158aec72cb.jpg

3. bahn_farang

oopps Lampang 555

4. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

That's quite possibly the worst job advertisement I've ever read. I admit I had an image similar to Spidey's when I looked into this thread.

5. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:chinrub :shhh :innocent

6. natewill

natewill Active Member

Apparently (almost) every school in Lampang still needs teachers. Our school will be down 2 bodies at the beginning of August....

7. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

At least he was (brutally) honest, most aren't or even close. The salary, although shocking, won't be a shock.

What is shocking is the requirement to be in school 9-5, the extra curric, gate duty, parents evenings / days, summer / october camps, assessments / exams (for English Comm FFS) etc.

Gone are the heady days when an English teacher in the village could roll out of bed before his first period & be in the pub for a liquid lunch at clocking out time; all for the princely sum of 30k in the beer jar every month.

It's even worse in the Big Mango...[rant stop]

If you don't want the job, don't take it. If you do, may the lord have mercy on your soul... :huh

bahn_farang likes this.
  8. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I was treated very well outside of Lampang. Of course, somebody opted not to pay my last fraction of a month, but they had agreed to my trips to Chiang Mai for Chinese visas. Much like in Baotou, staff was very nice.

9. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

"Lamping" in Lampang......not more to say.

10. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Your description marries with my experience here in LOS. Tell it how it is I say, bahn_farang and that's exactly what you've done. So thank you for such a succinct description for the benefit of those who may be interested in the working here. For many of us here this is the reality of the experience of working in a school in this country and it certainly applies to my school which I would surmise is one of the better of its kind. Newcomers to the game would be well advised to memorise this excellent account.

11. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

If certain members said the same things, that this stuff amounted to a problem, it would be "picking holes." Since there is not much we can do about it, it is not a problem, right? Even if you love Thailand and you think they deserve better, you are trying to "educate" them and you are petty, uninformed. So be it. What I want to know is this: is there a secret benefit to trying to do the right thing within the system, even though the system is what it is? Sometimes I thought so, sitting there in the heat in Isaan, the staff fighting each other for all they were worth, etc., ad nauseum.

I am trying to imagine that this is the ideal world, that these are perfect conditions. Do you see my point? Let's move the imagined scene to another place. Let's pick Turkey. The staff don't speak English well, some care, some don't, a lot of in-fighting. The pay is poor. The boss skims everyone, it is normal. They are Muslim, but there is a lot of drinking. The kids are not going to get well-paid jobs in the future. The weather is bad. You have to go to revolting parties in which senior staff invite their other wives and hangers-on. Your office is dirty. If you get sick you might die because of the lackadaisical "medical care." If you are a Westerner, you are most certainly the only one around with intellectual interests. If you do extra work, everyone will look at you askance. The big wigs all drive black Mercedes Benz pimp-mobiles and go to the mosque on a regular basis (lots of pics). A new plan about national education seems to rear its small head about once a month. The latest one is about critical thinking, how to do that by increasing time on Facebook. You go to school and see that the kids are smiling.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2016
  12. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

What you describe, David, could be Thailand save for a few, obvious differences.

I love living in Thailand and specifically in Ratchaburi. It's a fantastic place, untouristed, real, good old fashioned Thailand in many respects. I don't want to live in Chiang Mai or BKK or anywhere else because I am so comfortable and so settled here. It's a great place if you have kids - safe, reasonably clean and lots of good things. My kids do an art class every Saturday, my son until recently played football three times a week but unfortunately that folded and we're looking for an alternative.

But don't get me started on work! Bahn-farang described it perfectly. I put up with it because of the benefits - living here and because I've been here a while I get reasonably decent money. Though I have to burst a gut for it. However the first decent offer I get I'm gone, preferably out of Thailand, like you. The system as far as I can see has few redeeming features and certainly not enough to keep me here. Yet I better not be too bitter and twisted because it's allowed me a pretty decent life here for the last eight years or so.

Ultimately I motivate myself by adopting the view that I'm better inside the school, inside a classroom to be precise, doing my best for the students as an educator, than trying to change either the school or system. Don't worry I have tried both and in fact I think some of my colleagues find it remarkable that I have survived given some of the stunts I have pulled in challenging management. I don't - all I have ever done is be honest and straight and I find that even here it holds me in good stead.

However the job is with the students, engaging them, finding out what makes them tick, and gently nudging them along. Balance that with a process of sellf-evaluation: what worked, how could I have done that better, etc. I've been trialling a new activity in Grade 6. A story game called ' Yes, and.....' . I provide a start: today's was called Ringo's Day Out at the Zoo. Opening sentence: Ringo got up at 6 o'clock. Two rules: every sentence thereafter must start with "Yes and ...." and it must contain a numeric value. When one of my middling students offered: "Yes, and Ringo had three hard boiled eggs and seven glasses of orange juice for breakfast", which triggered huge amounts of laughter, and then the hands went up to offer further funny sentences .....well I knew I was on to something. The students were speaking the language and using numbers in a whole variety of ways. That's the pleasure : closing that classroom door, having the privilege of entering this wonderful world of children and young people and facilitating their learning.

I have often thought: what might it be like if I worked in an environment where I was supported to be more effective in my teaching. I'm hoping I'll be able to say more about that some time in the not too distant future.

DavidUSA and Gor Blimey Guvnur! like this.
  13. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Holy general. This job offer makes my school look like a double sized World Class Standard School.

OP, thanks for telling the truth, even when the description is quite nasty and shocking. :go2

14. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. There are some beautiful spots all over Thailand, and if you land on one of them life can be golden.

15. bahn_farang

thankfully, the positions have now been filled... by teachers with experience too! The original post was a quasi experience based piece but also more of a distilled version of many (thankfully - in the main not this one) teacher forums.

It never ceases to amaze me the bile, negativity, and down right imperialistic superiority of some NES who see the world from an obtuse angle. I guess the root cause of grievance is care, but reality must play its part also.

I stand by the post as a reminder for most that we, as willing participates in this very-go-round of disbelief, are here by our own free will and decisions. Rant, criticise and belittle if you will but please drink a cup of reality at least once in a while.

portnoy58 likes this.