1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've taken the plunge. I'm going to study Thai.

Discussion in 'Thai Language' started by Stamp, 2 Jul 2013.

1. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Speaking of the troubles tones cause:
    When I first started teaching here, I told a class (in Thai) that I like to ride horses (ชอบขี่ม้า) what they heard was that I ชอบขี้หมา.

2. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

I had my first lesson yesterday. I was a bit late as I had a meeting and said nicely in Thai 'Aplogise, Ajarn Fai, (there's a) horse (on the) left'. :biglaugh:

We discussed the five tones of the Thai language but we also discussed the matrix that describes which of the five tones apply or don't apply to the three different letter groups.

I enjoyed it to the fullest being taught. My wife doesn't correct me when I speak Thai wrongly. Ajarn Fai does!

We also discussed that Thai is tonal language but not per se a tone frequency determined language. Depending on the type of conversation, speech, excitement, emotion, anger, people speak on different frequencies. Within the bandwidth of a frequency speaker has to find low tone, high tone, falling or rising. An ability Thai people have but for us non-native of Thai something that has to, perhaps systematically, be learned.

Anyways, a good session. I've recorded examples which Fai read, from the book I've provided, on my iPhone. Good for future reference.

3. po3try

po3try Guest

4. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

I started again with my Thai lessons. Both my teacher and I didn't have time for more than two weeks because of our mid term tests and several school activities.

Really knowing the Thai alphabet is getting more and more important now. Besides learning about the sound of the consonants and with it the tones (mid, low, falling, high and rising), the importance of knowing the vowels is evenly necessary. However, vowels isn't really about the tone but more about the 'length' of the vowel sound.

For many years I've thought that the Thai language could be learned when being immersed in the language without any knowledge of reading and writing. Slowly but surely that opinion is changing.

For knowing the alphabet, I'm using the software I posted about in the thread below.

Thai Interactive Learning System

For me it's of great help.