1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've taken the plunge. I'm going to study Thai.

Discussion in 'Thai Language' started by Stamp, 2 Jul 2013.

1. chrgrims

chrgrims Member

hehe. its very important to learn how to cheat when you live in thailand. great job!:hilarious:

2. crew

crew Faber College Member

borrowed words always fcuk with me. i'm expecting a thai word and have to say it in my head three or four times before i realize it's an english word!

i'm not sure if it's a real word but...
    รถชอปเปอร์

3. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

I'm quite fluent in it and I can understand everyday conversations. I can understand most of the documents the school drops in my pigeonhole. I'm zilch in government Thai, Royal Thai, and Religious Thai though.
    I studied Thai for 3 years in uni. Was bad at it actually, forgot everything during the holidays and had to start from kor-kai again every term.
    Been doing on-the-job learning everyday so I guess I won't be doing it officially.

- - - Updated - - -

A chopper motorcycle.

4. chrgrims

chrgrims Member

Thats it exactly!

rot chopper :)

Here is a really hard one: เซอร์อเล็กซ์ เฟอร์กูสัน

5. chuachinsoon

Sir Alex Ferguson

6. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

Promise I did not use computer translation.

7. crew

crew Faber College Member

weird. i thought that said, 'bacon face'. :smile2:

8. po3try

po3try Guest

can hardly speak it, i can read 'baht' and that's it. I struggle to write that correctly 99% of the time as well. i can generally get the jist of conversations by recognizing the words i know and putting together the pieces.

i REALLY suck at languages. although it helps me identify with the struggling kids :hilarious:

9. MdeGraaf

MdeGraaf New Member

Very nice!

I bought this "Benjawan Becker" book last year, now I can read Thai although I don't know the meaning of most words. I can say, read and write the whole "alphabet" from gah gai till ah aang. I write my registers in Thai, speak Thai with my students and write Thai on the blackboard when they don't understand some vocabulary. I'm living in the village where very few people speak English so I really have to speak Thai to get around.

Intonation is the hardest thing for me, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma --> 5 different meanings makes me "muen tub".

Last week a Thai teacher (teaching Thai language) offered me to teach me the art of Thai language, I think I will pay her a visit this week to take the offer. In return I can teach her some English or pay her per hour.

Sara o, pah paan, rah ruah, mah ma, chah chang (right? It's so small), mai thai goo, mai eek, nah nu
    I guess that must mean promochan (promotion?)

//edit: not mai thai goo but mai haan agat

10. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

You seem to be quite knowledgeable. Please help us with this one.

3136-7110_Page_2.jpg

:thumbsup2:

3136-7110_Page_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
  11. chrgrims

chrgrims Member

Its about foreign teachers without work permit. This is the kind of documents i should be reading now to learn this vocabulary. I will read and translate it during the free moments of the day and then ask my teacher tonight about the words i dont understand and then get back to you!

12. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Thank you very much.

13. chuachinsoon

Cheers chrgrims :)

14. Meanjin

Meanjin Active Member

Interesting thread, and fun. I have problems answering questions about competency in Thai, as people mean different things like "well", "fluently", etc.

I used to translate school information documents, newsletters, etc, before retiring, but only from Thai to English. I'd make a mess of English to Thai.

Being able to read Thai and having some background in the culture can be interesting. For example, do you now the meaning of the name "Thaksin"? Do you know the nicknames of prominent political figures in Thailand? Back to Thaksin: Can you see a counter-relationship between his name and the city of Udon Thani? What city in Thailand is named after the title of a Buddhist King? Why is Laksi (near Don Mueang) called Laksi when it's 16 km from the old city centre?

As I said, it can be interesting if you're interested in that sort of thing. :smile:

15. po3try

po3try Guest

i know of a couple of people on here that did a degree in Asia(n) studies. what was it like? studied the historys? cultures? languages? Probably would be quite interesting if I ever get rich enough to retire...