1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Island Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Internationalteacher, 25 Apr 2015.

1. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter Well-Known Member

So, I am going to Bangkok for a few days or so in the next few months to chill at a luxurious hotel and visit a few friends in the process.
    I then want to go to a beach to chill out for a week or so. I was going to go to Koh Samui because I want to go somewhere I haven't been. Now, I'm thinking that I want to go somewhere close enough to Bangkok so I don't have to fly there. I want to go somewhere I haven't been. I've been to Koh Chang, Phuket, and Koh Tao. I want to be somewhere I can swim in the ocean and do some shopping also. I was looking at Koh Samet last night, but it looks pricey! I dont want to spend too much over 1000 baht. If you can also recommend some accommodations that would be helpful. :)

Any Suggestions! Wherever I end up, I'll take some pictures. :happy1:

2. keeshou

keeshou Laoshi

Koh Samet used to be really cheap, but had no shopping

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

It really depends on where you want to stay as Koh Samet has several bays. We have stayed several times at Vongdeun Bay. Depending how close you want to be near the beach the accommodation starts at 800 THB. The beautiful thing of Koh Samet is that in the late afternoon, beach restaurants are set up for a nice BBQ dinner at the beach.

4. Internationalteacher

^^Thanks, Keeshou. I did read that about Koh Samet, so that is a bit of a bummer for me.

^ Cheers, Stamp! I like how close Koh Samet is to Bangkok. That is one of the main reasons why I may end up there. I only have two weeks and most of the first week I'll be in Bangkok. I was going to go to Koh Samui, but didn't want to pay to fly there. Of course I was going to take the train, but that takes some time as well. I'll figure it out eventually..:).

Stamp likes this.
  5. Stamp

Koh Tao remains one of most popular islands

The Nation May 4, 2015 4:44 pm

Koh Tao in Surat Thani is ranked No.1 on TripAdvisor's top 10 Travellers' Choice Islands in Asia, despite the grisly murders of two British tourists.

According to the ratings released last month, Koh Tao is also the only island from Thailand that made it to the top 10 traveller’s choice islands in the world. Contesting for the best position were more than 100 islands worldwide including lists for Asia, Africa, Caribbean, Europe, South America, the South Pacific, the UK, and the US.

All of the top 10 islands in Asia are located within the Southeast Asia region, with Koh Tao named the number one island in Asia, ahead of Bali and Phuket. Koh Tao and Bali were also amongst the top ten islands in the world, placing 5th and 7th respectively. Other islands from Thailand on the top 10 list are Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Lanta and Koh Phangan. (See the full lists below)

Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for hotels, restaurants and attractions on islands worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.

"We are thrilled that five of Thailand’s islands have once again been featured within the top 10 islands in Asia for the 2015 Travellers’ Choice awards. From the budget seekers to the luxury travellers, visitors will find that there is no shortage of possibilities for travellers of every type," said Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, Minister of Tourism & Sport for Thailand.

In September, two British tourists were murdered on Koh Tao. The trial will start in June.

Koh Tao remains one of most popular islands - The Nation

Internationalteacher likes this.
  6. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

We have had several 'single white females' passing through PKK over the last few weeks. When they mention the island, they say, 'you know the one where the two brits were murdered'. All have said that they are not worried about it happening again.

Internationalteacher and Stamp like this.
  7. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

You've been to Koh Chang and Koh Tao already. Those are my first two choices. There's nothing wrong with beaching it at Krabi or Khao Lak either. There's plenty of shopping there. Check Nok air and Bangkok Air for promotions. Flying is sometimes pretty cheap.

8. Internationalteacher

^Thanks! I really loved Koh Tao. I got my PADI license there long before the murders happened. I haven't been to Khao Lak yet. Is that nearby?

I'm now looking for a good place/camp to do Muay Thai for a week. I usually go to Thailand to practice Muay Thai, but this vacation I was just going to relax. I've decided now to do a week of Muay Thai. I'd like to do it near a beach though. So..may go to Koh Phangan/Phuket or elsewhere. Don't mind me, I like to change my mind a lot. :)
    Any ideas on camps would be great!

9. Internationalteacher

Well my vacation is coming up fast...Yippee! I've decided to scrap the Muay Thai as I really need to relax. I was looking into Hua Hin recently. Any recommendations on decent, affordable places to stay? There are so many selections. I was just thinking of heading there by bus and finding something when I arrive.
    I was reading that there are some night markets and Cicada market if I wanted to shop. Crazy to have this much freedom and not able to decide where I want to go for a week. Lol

10. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

If you go to Hua Hin, puh-leeze stop by the Top Deck Lounge Bar Restaurant in nearby Prachuap Khiri Khan.

[​IMG]

Report back and give us all a vicarious meal!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the proprietor might be able to steer you to some nice lodging, as well.
    :drinking
    请享用。

11. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

sheraton, pool access room - you won't regret it. It is very expensive but so worth it

12. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

In Hua Hin we've stayed last couple of times in the Nilawan Hotel on soi 67; we like it cos we can get two adults and two kids into their big rooms, about 900 THB a night. ( There are 500 THB rooms elsewhere away from the beach but those will require transport and the tuktuk drivers and motor cycle riders operate as a cartel and that means ridiculous rates). Fairly bland but it is clean and has everything you need inc internet. I would avoid buying breakfast there however - I was unimpressed by the 35 baht charge for coffee - a spoon of instant powder! 250m walk to the beach is a plus which the authorities appear to have cleaned up literally and metaphorically - they've closed down a lot of the shack restaurants and chased off the umbrella people. In the other direction Market Village Mall is a ten minute walk and you are located fairly close to all the action including the night markets. The restaurant on the beach is ok and not ridiculously overpriced but there are a great many eating options in town. My own personal favourite is the German run All in Hua Hin restaurant/ bakery on Soi Sasong, runs parallel with the Petchkasem off the road leading up to the railway station - a mug of brewed Americano costs 30 baht there and I reckon they do the best Cappuccino in town for 50 THB; you can eat delicious freshly baked bread, all manner of German dishes and stock up on cheese and ham as well as sample the various imported beers on offer.

Mati, Internationalteacher and Stamp like this.
  13. Stamp

Great idea. However, Hua Hin - Prachuap Khiri Khan is about 100 km.

14. Stamp

My favourite restaurant too. GPS N12.56865 E 99.95592.

15. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

name for the lazy amongst us?