1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview Tips

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by Internationalteacher, 23 Oct 2016.

1. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter AKA phuketbound

I have an upcoming interview in less than a month and I want to prepare for this interview. I am pretty sure I have the job because they have already checked my references that were positive. I had a Skype interview and the quality sucked, so I mentioned going to the school to see it and meet the VP. I found out from the VP that she has already checked my references and she sounds confident she'll offer me the job.

I'm hoping that I am offered a contract on the spot, but I want to prepare for the interview. I've been to plenty of interviews, but I am always open to getting more tips and advice from other folks that may have been the one hiring or just have a lot of experience with interviews.

Thanks folks! :)

2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

This is really old, but not altogether facetious.
    A couple of points might even apply to your interview.

The 9 Rules of Teaching in Thailand

Be white.
    Wear a necktie or a bra.
    Don't show up obviously drunk.
    Don't get staff or students pregnant/
    Don't get impregnated by the staff or students.
    On the first day, be punctual and shave.
    No visible tattoos.
    Verify that you have a degree.
    Be ready to lay down a good line of bullshit.
    Elvis is under no circumstances his nickname in the west.

3. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

As always, a good sense of humor, gungchang.

Internationalteacher: Where are you applying: China or Thailand? What kind of school is it?

Internationalteacher likes this.
  4. Internationalteacher

^^Haha! I don't think many of those are relevant for me except, making sure to wear a bra. :)

^It is an international school in China.

I thought it would be good to make a list for newbies and/or other people that may have the same question.

Here would be my list, although not as funny as Gungchang's.

1. Be prepared. Make sure you know the mandate, philosophy and as much as possible about the school.

2. Make a list of questions that you want to ask at the end. It makes you look interested in the position.

3. Dress to impress.

4. Be yourself and try not to talk too much as to bore the employer.

5. Be honest about your background and skills and sell yourself.

Anymore to add?

5. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

6. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Don't make the salary to the center of the interview. If the amount is still negotiable and they ask you how much you'd like to have per month, please try to not answer the question directly.

My point being is that they'll eventually pay more than the amount you're asking for. Best of luck.

7. Internationalteacher

^^I guess this has been done before, eh. Thanks I'll check that information.

^Thanks so much! I won't ask about the salary as there is a salary scale based on experience and qualifications. This is for next September, but I have to start looking early. :)

sirchai likes this.
  8. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I guess you're an experienced teacher with a brain on your shoulders and you'll be an asset to any institution here, but also there.

You're what they're looking for, but you have your price. Please don't forget that there are many other institutions who're also seeking teachers. In Thailand, Taiwan, Korea, etc...it's easy to make a mistake by signing a contract you'll later regret. It happened to me and none of the promised words became true.

I couldn't even continue with my Thai SS because the big man pocketed this money until the guys from the main office stepped on his toes. No other foreigners were hired and the teaching load almost killed me.

I resigned my great position with a huge house on campus and only taught grade six, one class twice a week. I didn't even realize that I was already high up the ladder, whenever the educational area office needed somebody to conduct a seminar, I was always part of it and well paid.

The rest of the day I could sit in my house and enjoy the free internet from a nearby hotel.

I resigned my former position just to sleep at home, not thinking that commuting back and forth would eat up the difference from my former and current salary. Plus my teaching load doubled, sometimes triples.

Please think twice before you make the big move, traps are everywhere. Best of luck.

I'll have to be back on Sunday to get ready for another horror show on Monday. And that's what it is.

9. Internationalteacher

^Fair points and thanks for the compliments. The thing with international schools is that they are a lot of work. I have been teaching in one for almost three years and I like it, but I am ready to get out of this city mostly. You do work hard in most decent international schools. I mean a heavy teaching load, extra curricular activities, etc...but there are a lot of perks too. The school I have an interview at will pay better than where I am at now. There is a housing bonus of 1400$ a month which is better than living on campus in many respects which is what I'm doing now.

I will go to see the school and the area before I sign. Many people do not get a chance to see where they may be teaching and who they will be working with. I will pay out of pocket to take the chance. I think there are traps or cons wherever you go, but you just have to prepare as much as possible and take a risk at some point. That is what teaching abroad is about.... taking the road less travelled and see where it leads. You never know 100% the end result unless you try.