1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexperienced teacher looking for advice

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by Templeton, 15 Oct 2016.

1. Templeton

Templeton Thread Starter Member

Thanks! I'm not trying to sound or be needy. The reality is im not an experienced teacher and during the CELTA course the level of English was at least intermediate. Even thhe elementary students knew the words and, the, if, jump and sit....I'll look this info over and contribute back someday....if I am able. Thanks again.

2. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Would their level of English be intermediate and the Thai teachers' English a lot better, you wouldn't have a job.

3. Templeton

Templeton Thread Starter Member

Hello TTA....
    I said I'd come back with more information when I got it. I haven't scanned anything here although if necessary I'm willing to do so. The "book" I'm using is rather horrible in my (not so humble) opinion. No guidence, direction or objective. It's simply conversation with no explanation. So as I understand the J.O.B. I'm basically helping with pronunciation because I'm American....Fine. But let's be honest, 3 hours of this is grueling for all. I can handle 3 hours but 6???

Anyway, as for the update: hospitality groups: 20-25 a class. Lower elementary for the tourist industry. No real desire to learn (except a select few) but all need the course for work. Basically I'm babysitting adults and have to find someone who has "improved." I've noticed they don't understand my instructions for group work and even if they do they are incapable of performing the tasks. Any suggestions?

By the way, after reading my post I realize it sounds like I expect the SS to know/ understand English already; I don't. I'm just asking for some experienced answers.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2016
    Stamp likes this.