1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexperienced teacher looking for advice

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by Templeton, 15 Oct 2016.

1. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

I would argue that that behavior is child-like. Young children often follow rules blindly & 'do what they're told'. Maybe the 'bad' kids are just the most intelligent ones & have quickly realized that you don't become successful in Thailand through knowledge, ability & hard work but through connections; that's why they concentrate most of their time on building social bonds with the alphas...

DavidUSA likes this.
  2. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

That wasn't Sirchai's post at all. I apologize that I only took a part of the OP's post. Here's the whole post: It seems that it came from David.

Someone once told me that the whole point of the Thai education system is to make sure that no one grows up. That is pretty harsh, but there is perhaps some truth to it. On the plus side, childlike is better than childish, and childlike is much better than cynical, angry, sardonic, vindictive, brutal, aggressive, scathing, disappointed, argumentative, impolite, or any of the other adjectives that Thai people are not. Be honest about it: taking breaks, going home early, not taking things too seriously, that all seems to be working. Right? Well, in a way, sometimes. But I hope my physician learned something in school, and my airplane mechanic too.

You can have students who are on time, who like to work, who want to learn, who are responsible, who have high standards, who refuse to cheat. I have seen it in Thailand, and a lot depended on the parents, especially the mother.

A caring and smart mother will see the difference between dee and mai dee

End of copied post.

But I do agree with David's opinion because I do have students who fit in this category.

Please see David's post # 12

3. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Lol ...I see Sirchai in your post#13 ...you copied and repeated the paragraph outside of the quotes. All cleared up then.

sirchai likes this.
  4. sirchai

I thank god as an atheist that somebody got that. May the Lord Buddha protect you and your loved ones.

P.S. Guess I have to apologize to one of the greatest members David.

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  5. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

One day at a certain university in Thailand, I proctored a test. After the test I noticed the kids outside the door, in groups, checking answers. They had copies of the test they had just taken, but I had made sure to gather up each test booklet. So the kids had the test before the test, in their pockets during the test, and then after. In other words, it was a big fat charade. I even pulled out my camera and took a photo. Because of a miracle of sunshine and cheap paper, one could see one of the photos on the test through the paper, even from my viewpoint. Of course, I was not stupid enough to talk about what everyone must have known.

Here is my conclusion: the system wants the kids to cheat.

That is what I meant by mai dee.

sirchai likes this.
  6. DavidUSA

That is so true, from what I saw. In general, it is Facebook, Facebook, Fakebook.

There is a plus side, of course: their system does not create specific losers, it does not exclude many at all.

7. DavidUSA

Danke.

sirchai likes this.
  8. sirchai

Du bist willkommen. Gern geschehen.

9. sirchai

I must have spent days to create my tests for two EP classes and two grade six ones.

It really annoyed me that the teachers who watched the kids that they couldn't cheat were the ones who gave them the right answers.

The dumbest kid in the one class had the highest score, but he didn't get it.

Another sign that the teacher in question had helped a lot was that all students, with only one exception, had a few questions wrong. And that occurred because the teacher's English really sucks.

You have to play the 3 Chinese monkeys and stop complaining. Or you stop teaching.

10. DavidUSA

I once wrote 11 tests for one class. Just so they could not cheat. Lots of work. Days.

My life has shown me that institutions tend to corrupt people, and while that is happening they will talk about morality and values. It is a human thing, not just Thai. In the US it is much worse. The talk about morality is often sinister--it can be the signal to tell you to watch your back. I am talking about lessons in morality that the English teachers had to give (meanwhile the President of the school was selling fake degrees, etc., filling his bank account).

Having to talk about morality in an institution is like going on a date and talking about romance. You sit in the front seat with Juliet, you park in a secluded spot, you look her in the eyes, and say, "what is romance?" Once we know what romance is, we can increase it. We can insist upon it. Romance is not the missing ingredient from the soup, but it is something we focus on and take pride in.... everything here is now so romantic.

In previous posts many of us have talked about working for 30K and how, thank goodness, we are not doing that. Working for 30K can be the best thing in the world. 30K is not the problem. The problem is being a teacher whose de facto job is to non-educate. It is dishonorable, and I am not going to have anything to do with it again. Remarks complete.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2016
  11. Templeton

Templeton Thread Starter Member

A lot of good information here already. I just thought I'd update with the info I have....

First off, the "book" I was given is a bunch of pages copied and put together. Very low level stuff; as low as learning the alphabet. Looks like I have two different assignments. One will be working with a school that helps prepare the SS for hospitality and the other is a hotel. I have other classes as well but my main questions focus on these. The school is a hospitality school and I will be with the same people 6 hours twice a week. The other one is three hours twice a week, not too bad.
    I still haven't received the book for my 6 hour class and I'm not sure of the size of either class yet. However, both classes have an extremely low level of English competency.

I guess at this point I'm wondering if anyone has experience trying to explain the "game" one would plan to do. How can you ask to role play if they can't even read a script or understand you let alone any other type of game?

12. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

13. sirchai

That's maybe because you're called teacher and should be able to find your own personal way.

If you do a roleplay, you'll have to explain all words and you should start with an easy one. Example:

From Check In to Check Out: 3 Hotel Role Plays You Need in Your Classroom

You can find plenty of material online but I prefer to write my own worksheets.

You should start with very easy conversations, greetings and let them ask and answer questions about themselves.

Happy customers are good customers..........

14. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

Good basic dialogue worksheet hereā€¦ good for 1/2 hour anyway, longer if you expand on it.

Attached Files:

DavidUSA likes this.
  15. sirchai

Here's a whole set you can use for many hours. It's from Boogles world.

The one in a snack bar is from a different page. It's all in dollars and you can change it into baht to make it easier for them.

Attached Files:

marcusb and DavidUSA like this.