1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

India

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Clown, 15 Dec 2013.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Trucks driving without lights at night and sporting "home brewed" licenses?

Chicken being slaughtered by the side of the road, at small stalls? You bet!

English street signs in a major metropolis like Mumbai? You wish.

- - - Updated - - -

What would a British traffic warden do?

Attached Files:

Mr Pete likes this.
  2. Meanjin

Meanjin Active Member

Thanks for the pictures, Clown. They bring back memories.

I love India. I know that sounds trite, and heavens above there's plenty not to love, but there's an energy among Indian people that rises above the squalor and general scruffiness. At least I see it that way.

I don't think I would go to India just to have a look around. I think a clear purpose helps. In my case I went the first time because Mrs Meanjin wanted to see the Dalai Lama and where he lived. Unfortunately he left Dharamsala on the morning we arrived, but we saw his palace and the temple-palace complex and visited the Tibetan Children's Village School to donate clothing, and joined the procession through the streets of the town to the temple each evening, and did lots more over a five-day period.

The second trip was a joint decision to visit Bodhgaya, where the Buddha was enlightened, and Sarnath, near Varanasi, where he gave his first sermon. We also visited the Gandhi Memorial in New Delhi and, of course, went to the Taj Mahal in Agra. So you can see that most of our visits there were taken up with pilgrimage of a kind, and the Taj was icing on the top.

Of course, not everyone wants to go on a pilgrimage, though it does give meaning and focus to a trip, but I think a focus and purpose of some kind would help in visiting a country that can otherwise be quite challenging to the traveller. And I guess the Taj should be on everyone's bucket list, especially to visit with your loved one.

3. po3try

po3try Guest

my in-laws want us to do this with them soon. was a bit unsure...

4. Meanjin

Meanjin Active Member

The Dharamsala trip or the Buddha sites one? I thought both were marvellous. I'd recommend doing it in comfort though. Not budget accommodation and cheap transport.

I think most Thais do the pilgrimage in a large group. That would be fine as long as they stay in decent places, have nice coaches, etc. Bodhgaya has the most extraordinary atmosphere. Well worth the visit.

Edit: Some of the budget accommodation in Dharamsala is quite good. I'd be a bit worried about the other places, but might be quite wrong.

1 person likes this.
  5. Corsair

Corsair Well-Known Member

Been trying to take wife to Kinnuar, Spiti, Ladakh for few years now. Looks like this summer we may postpone again due to her job.

I've been to India a bunch of times, but now prefer only the far north as the rest of it drives me right mad.

Dali Lama spends lots of time in Ladakh in summer giving teachings.

- - - Updated - - -

Been trying to take wife to Kinnuar, Spiti, Ladakh for few years now. Looks like this summer we may postpone again due to her job.

I've been to India a bunch of times, but now prefer only the far north as the rest of it drives me right mad.

Dali Lama spends lots of time in Ladakh in summer giving teachings.

Meanjin likes this.
  6. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

Can you go and flog your spam somewhere other than a teaching forum. :bye::spam:

7. DavidUSA

DavidUSA την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

I think it would be interesting to go there and then compare it to Thailand.

Pakistan used to be a good place to go for an exotic vacation, but now forget it. I lived there for a while, and now I have a new understanding of what pollution and squalor really mean.
    And, of course, it is extremely dangerous.

I have not been to India yet, but I want to go. I especially want to see Ladakh.