1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In a complete rut - M.Ed., PGCE, QTS, Middle East?

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by JBauer, 3 Jan 2017.

1. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

I agree with all your points hey-ewe.

The official starting salary of a licensed Thai teacher is 15,000k.

Thai teaching assistants often start on 8,000k.

Hey_ewe likes this.
  2. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Yes, you can see why people are willing to pay for good government jobs. Our admins are on 15k and they work ten times harder than some old dragons who spend their time eating somtan and snoozing rather than teaching.

3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

The rut it equidistant to the lip on both sides. We can, if we try, turn left or for that matter the right. What is important is how high on the arc of happiness or sadness we are content to exist on.

What a difference a week makes. Last week was a large pile of problems, which seemed insurmountable. This week surrounded by the incentives of family, the firm belief that after the storm does come a period of calm, and the help of the members of this forum, I can see a clearer horizon of realistic hope.

The downward spiral of despair had me for a good while, yet as I write all is in perspective. All in a rut, all who think they have made the wrong turn at the intersection of life be told, the coin of life as just sides, those of happiness and sadness.

Happiness is a drug that is earned when it is realised.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2017
    DigitalGypsy likes this.
  4. Davman

Davman Member

Yes, and thats why I will be teaching in Saudi Arabia once I get some teaching experience.
    There is no chance of me working for in Thailand for 30k baht a month, I have too much self respect to let myself be exploited. I will only work in Thailand if I get QTS which I may do this September. If not I will do an MA instead, but as I am geting on age wise I need to start collecting money as soon as possible so I may teach in South Korea for a few years before heading to the Middle East.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2017
  5. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Well-Known Member

Hi Davman,

I'm in a similar situation in terms of planning for the future, what MA are you looking at by the way?

6. Davman

Davman Member

I am looking at three options, 1, would be TESOL, 2, would be linquistics for TESOL, and number 3 would be education.
    Tesol would be the better choice for working in Saudi, the education would be best for teaching at an international school. But I think the linquistics would be good for both. Though I would work for a few years before attempting the linquistics MA. I would like to do an MA at either Northumbria or Newcastle Universities. My degree is from Sunderland but their English MA is not to my taste. Sunderland do an MA TESOL but I have found some of their TESOL staff to be very, very poor.

DigitalGypsy likes this.
  7. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Well-Known Member

Are you planning to actually complete yours by attending a physical institution, or via distance learning?

I'm kicking around the idea of doing one of these courses:

MA TESOL - University of Nottingham

MA ELT - University of Southampton

Do you have any knowledge on the reputation of either university, or have you heard anything about either course?

DG

8. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I don’t have any knowledge of the courses themselves but both universities are real bricks and mortar UK government accredited universities. The University of Nottingham is one of the best universities in the country. They have high numbers of overseas students, especially Asia. They have opened campuses in Malaysia and China. A few people on this forum have taken the PGCEi course, perhaps they can give some feedback on studying with them via online/distance learning.

9. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

The hornets nest of distance learning versus bums on seat learning has been a topic well covered on this forum. What I can offer is my own experience of online learning with Nottingham University. My tutor, a very respected academic, was crucial in the process. She provided me with guidance and feedback which furthered my education/practice.

The online resources offered by Nottingham paired with the comprehensive library support ensures that anyone wishing to challenge themselves academically will be satisfied.

Some, more akin to being feed information to remember will perhaps find Nottingham a less than a rewarding experience. I found this, after 15 years involves/submerged/blinded/suffocated in the Thai education experience, particularly difficult but at the same time a significantly revitalising journey.

The admissions team at Nottingham are thankfully prone to attention to detail, and once passed the gate keepers the real treasure offered can be learned.

10. Davman

Davman Member

I plan on attending either University, which wont be diffircult since I live in Newcastle. Newcastle University is a russell group university, which I think is why its fees are the highest in the region. A member of the British Royal family, Princess Beatrice recently did a course there, so it must be good.

The reason I would pick Northumbria is that my original dissertation supervisor came from there, and I found him to be excellent. Also Graham Hall is one of the lecturers Graham Hall The only problem I have is that due to a very poor dissertation supervisor from Sunderland university. (I was sick and ended up with a 2nd supervisor) I ended up with a 2.2 degree which is why I would need 2 years teaching experience before I could apply for Newcastle's MA. However I can still apply for an MA TESOL at Northumbria as this does not require a 2.1. I will be attending Northumbria's open day this Febuary. The main reason I have for doing these courses in the UK is that I would qualify for the £10,000 Masters funding, which is a no brainer as I am 51, so they would never see the loans paid back. I know that Northumbria had a distance learning option for their MA TESOL though I have been unable to find anything about it. I will just ask them on their open day.