1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In a complete rut - M.Ed., PGCE, QTS, Middle East?

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by JBauer, 3 Jan 2017.

1. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Actually, it makes me wonder...what on earth is going on inside their educated heads? It's one thing to throw away one's high-earning years paddling around the swamp, it's quite another to disparage others who choose to head for dry land.

2. muppetminder

muppetminder Member

No one is necessarily looking down ones nose but the people that have it sorted really must wonder about those that don't.

My conclusion is if you've come here and grinding out a 30k job, alone, upcountry or some shonky urban school, you've got issues.

You refuse to go back not bc the weather or food or even companionship (30k buys little of that). You've simply got nothing to go back to. Thailand at 30k is the better option despite it having no future and there is no plan B. That's reality. The unspoken truth.

Most sad is I see these idiot 30 something on TEFL YouTube posts going on about posh lives in... This lot is so stupid. Dealt a raw hand, found a money stream in Vietnam, China and wasting every bit of it on luxuries.

TEFL especially in Thailand is no plan. Technology will way waste to these jobs in one manner or another. I've essentially had three 'careers' in my life. TEFL is ripe for change. Thailand just happens to be so far behind the technological and educational curve.

If you've got twenty years before you collect some govt old age pension which you've not even paid into and by most accts social welfare system will be broken in all western countries. Good luck.

Your life is a total gamble. It's hand to mouth.

The thinking above is faulty and some might be inclined to look down upon it, especially while making us900 a month. More like same money per hour I was making as a senior in HS in 1979 without adjustment.

Finally, all these jobs can vanish overnight in a crash like 97. It's only a matter of time before the US markets tumble. Economies in most nations precarious.

Up to you

Last edited: 11 Jan 2017 at 23:39
  3. SageAdvice

...bingo...

Stamp likes this.
  4. covertjay

covertjay Member

Assumption Schools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stfranalum likes this.
  5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

It may be worth considering the culture of Thailand. Thailand is more often who you know rather than what you know. If a teacher is teaching a large number of students per class in the 9-3pm job and then teaches additional class teacher then that teacher has a huge network to use and contribute to. I can not comment on other countries, it may be the same, I don't know.

From my experience through teaching large numbers of students both adults and children, the contacts and friendships made have proved to be worth their weight in gold. It is not a one way street of course and I will go out of my way to help them too.

It may be myopic to just focus on the cash but it would be equally insane to purely concentrate on the life style. I would suggest than income, opportunity, and the ability to provide a future for our young is not directly related to next month's pay check.

6. covertjay

covertjay Member

The EIP at BCC and the EP at ACP. Worked at both before.

Lower tier at least 75k. Registered teachers won't work for less. Even fresh grads. I have friends at these but from what they say it's not my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

this is especially the case of Thailand. What I am saying is that in Thailand sometimes all the money in the world can not counter balance a strong network of mutual benefit

8. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

And I am okay with that.

9. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Member

Quality over quantity any day, please.

There are plenty of other forums for people to vent their foreigner frustrations and generally bicker about everything.

10. SageAdvice

It's good for a moderator to keep in mind that one poster's bickering is another's repartee: a difference of opinion can be argued with grace and humor...