1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In a complete rut - M.Ed., PGCE, QTS, Middle East?

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by JBauer, 3 Jan 2017.

1. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Actually, it makes me wonder...what on earth is going on inside their educated heads? It's one thing to throw away one's high-earning years paddling around the swamp, it's quite another to disparage others who choose to head for dry land.

2. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

No one is necessarily looking down ones nose but the people that have it sorted really must wonder about those that don't.

My conclusion is if you've come here and grinding out a 30k job, alone, upcountry or some shonky urban school, you've got issues.

You refuse to go back not bc the weather or food or even companionship (30k buys little of that). You've simply got nothing to go back to. Thailand at 30k is the better option despite it having no future and there is no plan B. That's reality. The unspoken truth.

Most sad is I see these idiot 30 something on TEFL YouTube posts going on about posh lives in... This lot is so stupid. Dealt a raw hand, found a money stream in Vietnam, China and wasting every bit of it on luxuries.

TEFL especially in Thailand is no plan. Technology will way waste to these jobs in one manner or another. I've essentially had three 'careers' in my life. TEFL is ripe for change. Thailand just happens to be so far behind the technological and educational curve.

If you've got twenty years before you collect some govt old age pension which you've not even paid into and by most accts social welfare system will be broken in all western countries. Good luck.

Your life is a total gamble. It's hand to mouth.

The thinking above is faulty and some might be inclined to look down upon it, especially while making us900 a month. More like same money per hour I was making as a senior in HS in 1979 without adjustment.

Finally, all these jobs can vanish overnight in a crash like 97. It's only a matter of time before the US markets tumble. Economies in most nations precarious.

Up to you

Last edited: 11 Jan 2017
  3. SageAdvice

...bingo...

Stamp likes this.
  4. covertjay

covertjay Member

Assumption Schools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stfranalum likes this.
  5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

It may be worth considering the culture of Thailand. Thailand is more often who you know rather than what you know. If a teacher is teaching a large number of students per class in the 9-3pm job and then teaches additional class teacher then that teacher has a huge network to use and contribute to. I can not comment on other countries, it may be the same, I don't know.

From my experience through teaching large numbers of students both adults and children, the contacts and friendships made have proved to be worth their weight in gold. It is not a one way street of course and I will go out of my way to help them too.

It may be myopic to just focus on the cash but it would be equally insane to purely concentrate on the life style. I would suggest than income, opportunity, and the ability to provide a future for our young is not directly related to next month's pay check.

6. covertjay

covertjay Member

The EIP at BCC and the EP at ACP. Worked at both before.

Lower tier at least 75k. Registered teachers won't work for less. Even fresh grads. I have friends at these but from what they say it's not my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

this is especially the case of Thailand. What I am saying is that in Thailand sometimes all the money in the world can not counter balance a strong network of mutual benefit

8. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

And I am okay with that.

9. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

Quality over quantity any day, please.

There are plenty of other forums for people to vent their foreigner frustrations and generally bicker about everything.

10. SageAdvice

It's good for a moderator to keep in mind that one poster's bickering is another's repartee: a difference of opinion can be argued with grace and humor...

11. Davman

Davman New Member

Okay heres my two cents, even though I haven't read the other replies as I'm wearing my first pair of varifocals which are killing my eyes, and its late here in UK land. Getting QTS is a no brainer if like myself you want to get the higher salary paid by international schools.

A masters would be more useful if you wanted to teach in say Saudi Arabia, while hoarding your money.
    I have a similar dilemma, I have an English degree, and will soon have my TEFL but I'm 51 so I don't have time to waste.
    I was planning on teaching in South Korea for a year or two before starting either a PGCE or a Masters. I then plan on either heading to an international school in Thailand, or else teach in Saudi Arabia where I would collect money for my Thai retirement fund. My other option is to get the two GCSE's I need before starting a PGCE in the UK this September.

You do have another option and that is to crowd fund your course, sorry I can't post any links as I have not made the required number of posts. But there are some academic crowd funding sites out there. Some of these sites attract funding from academic institutions as well as individual donors. Its worth a try, and I'm sure a YouTube search will tell you how to go about this, while having more chance of success.

12. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

sage advice is banned? what the heck?

13. Davman

Davman New Member

This is so wrong its not even close. A new UK teachers starts off on about £22,000 per year versis 12 x 30k baht which = £8232 per year. This means a new UK teacher earns £13,768 more than what they would earn in Thailand. Even with my rent and council tax, I would be £9000 better off working in the UK, plus I would not have any medical bills, except £20 for a dental checkup. With Thailands two tia system for charging non-Thais more I spend less money in the UK than I did when I was in Thailand. The only way living in Thailand would be cheaper would be if I lived on street food and had no social life, which would make it pointless being in Thailand in the fiirst place.

14. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

Hi Davman, thanks for your comment.

22,000:8,232 is 2.67:1.

I'd say that is a fair cost of living ratio between the 2 countries, but of course it's all a matter of lifestyle. If you are unable to live without imported western products, then your cost of living in Thailand will be much higher. Personally, if I liked western products that much I would have stayed in the west. Also, living in any country is far different from being a tourist.

A Thai teacher starts at around 15,000. A Philippino maybe 17,000.

I think you mentioned you are planning on retiring here. Unless the regulations have changed recently you will need about 60,000 baht pension per month, or 800k in the bank.

Good luck.

15. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Most Thai government teachers in my program are on 40-50k a month plus a considerable amount more in private work.

The cost of living can be sky high in the UK but you if you’re smart, you can also live very frugally there too.

For me personally, 30-45k is nowhere near enough to live a comfortable lifestyle here.