1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing a Dog or Cat into Thailand

Discussion in 'Pets: Our Best Companions' started by happynz, 29 Jul 2011.

1. happynz

happynz Thread Starter acostumbrado equivocado

Yes, I know Thailand has plenty of dogs and cats, usually of the feral variety that encamp outside your place and howl and yowl all night.

I would think though that some that are considering giving Thailand TEFLing a crack. They also may have beloved four legged companions that they cannot bear to part with. What advice would you give to those coming to the Kingdom who want to bring their pooch or moggie? Are there special forms? Will the animal be stuck in quarantine? Will tea money need to be paid to customs?

:smile:

2. THX 1133

THX 1133 Active Member

My advice is DON'T DO IT! IMO, it's just plain insane to bring any cat or dog to LOS. If they love their fido or tinkerbell leave them home.

3. Bubba

Bubba New Member

Why ?

I know a few people who have done it. It's not impossible, but it costs and you need your dog paperwork in order.

4. THX 1133

THX 1133 Active Member

Heat, humidity, diseases (yes, I know, they have their shots-it's not enough), strange and poisonous insects, the 5 gazillion dogs already here, snakes, soi dog fights, dog thieves, travel and lodging hassles, and common sense.

5. zeusbheld

zeusbheld Member

^
    most of those hassles are avoided with a cat, except the expense. they're small enough to ride under the seat in front of you on the flight, and they're quite content to never leave your house or apartment (of course this requires you to make sure your doors and windows aren't wide open with no screens but that's hardly rocket surgery).

6. THX 1133

THX 1133 Active Member

^ Each to their own of course; but just not a good idea, IMO. In fairness (and full disclosure :wink2:); I'm no longer a pet person; I left my two buddies (cat [jet black Siamese] & dog [golden retriever] ) when I left to come here. They are far better off in the states, IMO. Cheers.

7. happynz

happynz Thread Starter acostumbrado equivocado

Paperwork, yup.

8. legh

legh New Member

I've read a lot about travelling with pets and most of it seems pretty ill informed by people who have, in the main, never travelled with them.
    I have now travelled with my cats to the Indian Ocean from Europe, back to Europe, a direct hop from the Indian Ocean to the West Indes -to the states etc etc -
    As long as they have the proper cages -they settle down and travel -I have never found their behaviour to be any different in the tropics from elsewhere -the diseases are no different either and as for insects, snakes etc they have been pretty indifferent except for one occassion when I had to pull, one of them off a very large snake in the neighbours garden -more to protect the snake than the cat!
    Of course cats are a lot easier than dogs which is another subject altogether but if you want to travel with cats there aint no problem except in one's head!!
    By the way the thread on the paperwork and costs bringing pets into Thailand is not 100% accurate - the one thing you must have is a certificate of health signed not by your vet but by a government veterinary department. Hope this does'nt sound dogmatic!! but it's to help and reassure !

9. wildchris

wildchris New Member

We did it successfully. Brought our dog over from the UK. Its quite a business at the airport as it's over at the Cargo Terminal, with loads of paperwork to complete. We hooked up with a couple of guys who obviously make their living helping Farangs get through the mass of stuff needed. We had to pay a bit of tea money, about 500baht from memory, to the vet for a medeical certificate as our dog's flight was delayed and the vets would have been shut by the time she arrived.

10. Jilrob

Jilrob Member

I know this is an old thread but I am reading it and so might others. Before bringing a pet to Thailand check on taking it back. You cannot take an animal to Australia,or New Zealand, with a very small exception relating to carer animals. They need to reside somewhere else for a year at least.

11. Makaveli

Makaveli aka 2Pac Staff Member

No probs, if you have something to say on any Thread, post it....

12. MikeTT

MikeTT New Member

Ok, what about parrots? A Congo African Grey to be specific. Any ideas?