1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IELTS Test for NES

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by portnoy58, 14 Jun 2016.

1. portnoy58

portnoy58 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

There's a rumour circulating in our staff room that the latest initiative of the MoE is to require all NES teachers to pass an IELTS test. Anyone up to speed on this?

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

portnoy58 likes this.
  3. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Like you said, a rumor. Or rumour? Agghh!

sirchai likes this.
  4. NODIIT

NODIIT Well-Known Member

Would be nice if the school pay for it :devil...

5. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

... or from the other thread one or two posters including myself .... could be half true but I think it would be an exclusive BC run affair at a cost to the individual guava teacher. So maybe a solution at the same time as a money spinner for the MOE/TCT/BC and then all the bunnies would be very happy with more carrots than they deserve.
    Here we go again ....promises, promises and watch this space again and again and ....

portnoy58 likes this.
  6. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

LOL... the height of stupidity... and who will check the IELTS examiners to see if they are "proficient" in English?

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  7. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

The blanket testing of proficiency is in its essence the perfect answer against racism. I offer my full support for it.

Some would argue that the test is an insult to the NES, but what qualification does the badge NES bring? In today's world of liquid national borders and from my own country an underclass of underperforming natives, why should non native speakers be labelled as anything but proficient users when the native users of English perform such a disservice to the language they claim as their own?

Mister T and kruhjoe like this.
  8. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Again... not actually understanding what the proficiency test is, does or measures.

It is not about the "testing" but about the level of the test that is acceptable and what does a certain score mean.

ie:
    40,000 Thai English teachers are at level A2 or lower levels of English (MOE statistics) on the CEFR scale.
    That equates to an IELTS of 3.5 or TOEIC of less than 400.

At this level the candidate should be able to understand basic instructions and questions most of the time with frequent support such as the speaker slowing down, repeating, or rephrasing. Speech is mostly intelligible despite limited control of phonological features.

Most output is usually appropriate but minimal as in one word or a short sequence of not fully coherent words. Responses are often delayed and
    halting. The candidate can maintain simple exchanges despite some difficulty.

Grammar and vocabulary are sufficient to complete the tasks some of the time. The candidate shows sufficient control of simple grammatical forms and uses appropriate vocabulary to talk about everyday situations.

There are frequent inaccuracies and these may sometimes obscure meaning. Sometimes output is difficult to understand.

Anybody who grew up in an English speaking environment and managed to complete 12 years of school in English can easily achieve the minimum required level of IELTS 5.5 (TOEIC 600). My daughter is 10 and functions above those levels (level B2).

The announcement and news article being discussed in this thread was a jumbled confusion of 3 policy issues:
    1. Thaii English teachers proficiency,
    2. NES teachers ability to teach, and
    3. some means to ensure the quality of both.
    Thai teachers who speak English need to be found and hired.
    NES teachers need to learn some teaching approaches and methodology (beyond Simon says and hangman).

The issues the deputy minister is grappling with are an increased demand for "English teachers" (classes to increase from 1 hour per week to 5 hours per week), no way to meet that demand (no English speaking Thais who are licensed to teach or able to get a license to teach) and no means for Thai administrators, the TCT or the MOE to actually ensure that "English teachers" can actually speak or teach English.

The answer appears simple:

1) Find a means to get Thaiis who can speak English into the classroom (proficiency tests and a degree get you a waiver). Have a path to licensure.

2) Ensure that NES teachers are actually educated to the degree level from a legitimate anglophone university.
    Require them to have a LEGITIMATE TEFL/TESL/TESOL certificate OR a valid education qualification BEFORE visa issuance.

3) Require that all NNES teachers are actually educated to the degree level.
    Require that all NNES teachers are able to function, in English, at level C1 or C2 (proficiency test).
    Require them to have a LEGITIMATE TEFL/TESL/TESOL certificate OR a valid education qualification BEFORE visa issuance.

4) ENFORCE the rules. No bending of the requirements (Khao San Backpackers with no education or training) to meet parents demands for a white face or an English sounding teacher with sub-par proficiency levels.

The remaining issues are those of Human Resource Management (how to recruit and retain those who meet the standard) and the means to verify 1 & 2 above.

sirchai likes this.
  9. portnoy58

portnoy58 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. My view, in light of above comments, is it was more rumour-mongering than factual information with a bit of mischief mixed up in it.

10. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Some flight attendances have to score higher than somebody who's going to teach English in LOS???
    I've seen applicants with less than 400 points TOEIC and a valid teacher's license. And you could see that the degree was fake.

11. sirchai

Sawasdee Khrap,

I've read this thread and just received an e-mail from "Future Learn", where plenty of free courses are offered.

By now I've done quite a few course, even the one in Forensic Science. ( I can hear your laughter..)

Here's a free course that will prepare you for the test, it starts in September, on the 12th and please feel free to sign up. I will just for fun, if I need it or not.

ABOUT THE COURSE
    • What skills are important for success in the IELTS Academic test?
    • How do IELTS examiners assess your level?
    • What do you need to do in order to improve your IELTS band score?

This five-week course will help you find answers to questions like these.

Get advice from the IELTS experts
    This free online course is created by Cambridge English Language Assessment (part of the University of Cambridge), who produce the IELTS test.

You will have many opportunities to interact with experts and with other learners from around the world. You’ll also have the chance to try authentic IELTS practice tasks and learn exactly what skills they’re testing and how they’re marked.

REQUIREMENTS

This course is for anyone who wants to improve their IELTS score. It is especially useful for people who want to take IELTS Academic and go to university.

We have tried to use simple English in the course as much as possible, but we recommend your English is at least level B1 (around IELTS band 4.5 or higher) to take the course.

The course is aimed at people preparing for IELTS Academic. If you are preparing for IELTS General Training, you will find that some of this course is useful for you, but not all. Of course, you are welcome to join. Speaking and Listening are the same in Academic and General Training, but Reading and Writing are different.

P.S. You can "interact" with all the guys who're taking the course.
    Please see: :go10

Inside IELTS - Cambridge English Language Assessment

12. sirchai

I grew up in a bilingual environment with English and German from early childhood on. I've held many CEFR courses and the majority of our Thai English teachers scored A 1.

I strongly believe that teachers of the English language should at least score C 1.

Please try your luck here. : Free English Level Test - How good is your English? Which English exam is right for you?

CEFR Test Level M.png

13. sirchai

Rumor? Perhaps just a Scuttlebutt, or back fence talk......roomer?

14. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

upload_2016-6-15_22-26-0.png Me too! :P

15. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

And for the listening test.

upload_2016-6-15_22-38-42.png