1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's your Thai/Chinese?

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by Internationalteacher, 30 Jan 2017.

1. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I never noticed that Plecco could do that. Silly me. Now I just have to figure out how to purchase the OCR.

2. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Well-Known Member

The screen reader is free. Go in to setting and you can turn it on.

3. gungchang

I did. They wanted $10 for English translations. I paid it.

The translations can be interesting.

4. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter Well-Known Member

That's great, Fred. Where and how much did you pay for lessons if you don't mind me asking?

What is this? Is it an app?
    I'll check it. I don't think that is the one I use. There are quite a few good ones on IOS.

5. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

My Thai fluent, reading, speaking, listening excellent, writing rusty (don't use it lose it ...haven't really wrote much Thai in the last decade)

Good place for the dedicated to start with Thai is the linguaphone Thai script book, only about 30 pages from memory. Offers about 6 or 7 consonants and 4 vowels per 2 pages with some example syllables, goes through the low, mid, high class groups and tonal marks are introduced here and there later and with other compounds and harder stuff towards the end. 30 pages it may be but to commit to memory took me about 3 months and daily exercise of all learnt. IMO starting to learn Thai from reading and writing really helps in the long run and vastly improves your understanding of new words and how to pronounce them correctly. I learnt Thai at university in the UK and so I was a lucky one with a well structured course, but you can follow this book in isolation and you will get there ...just persevere and be patient.

Chinese, about the level of a 2 year old ....tried it at uni for one semester whilst learning Thai and just got super confused trying to learn two languages at once. Had a speaking exam for Chinese, walked into room Chinese teacher asked me what I had for lunch in Chinese and I replied in Thai ...we both looked at each other in confusion ...decided not to persue Chinese anymore. However, learning Chinese is my retirement plan and to become fluent in all those lovely characters and pictograms too.

6. Internationalteacher

Gor - That's awesome, that you learned Thai in university. Good luck on your Chinese when you retire. I have a handful of foreign friends who speak great Chinese and I'm envious. Hoping to know a lot more in the next six months or so. Cheers!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  7. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

My Thai's pretty hot, I can read a bit but I'm lazy..The language is invaluable if you want to know about the real Thailand, good and bad.
    I really recommend Thai for beginners by Benjamat someone. A great book.

Internationalteacher likes this.
  8. gungchang

Pims Man.jpg

9. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

I'd recommend Teach Yourself Thai by David Smyth if it is still in print and available; I did a SOAS evening beginners course many years ago in London and guess what? They used it and more importantly, they knew!!! You what?! Yes, they knew , the tutor was an American, a post-graduate student who was actually an expert in South-east Asian languages and also a very good teacher; after he left the course effectively collapsed because they brought in Thais who came in and lectured for three hours. The TYT book is a complete course including writing. I like thai-language.com as an online dictionary plus the various appendices and recommended books are very useful.

For Chinese let's break into the world of online learning which teachers might like to explore because of the methodology and effective use of technology to promote language learning. Try Login - Memrise - this site really amazes me and makes me thinks the days of ELT being teacher led are numbered. Other possibilities for online Chinese include: - Digital Dialects online games for learning languages ; Discover China, learn Chinese - Chinese-Tools.com ; Traditional Chinese Characters ; CCTV Learn Chinese 学汉语 - Free Mandarin Video Lessons.

I'm also very interested in the Chineasy series of books: -

[​IMG]

The leading light of Chineasy is a very interesting character and can be heard here:

Last edited: 31 Jan 2017
  10. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

^Thx 58. That short video is worth a watch and love the way she explains it ...nice, I've just learned somthing in 5 minutes flat and especially who creates an 'argument' lol.

11. Internationalteacher

Thanks for the information and for those who answered the question. Youtube also has some great tutorials.

This one is for beginners.

DavidUSA likes this.
  12. DavidUSA

DavidUSA την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

Please share the name of the app for learning Chinese.

13. Internationalteacher

David: It is Bravolol - It is excellent in that you can go to analyzer and write a sentence or word and have it translated and you can listen to it.

Search for Chinese English Dictionary and Translator in the app store.

14. Internationalteacher

You are welcome, David. :confused