1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's your Thai/Chinese?

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by Internationalteacher, 30 Jan 2017.

1. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter AKA phuketbound

Lately I've been wanting to learn more Chinese. I know a few words, but certainly not enough imo. I went out with friends a few days ago who speak Chinese quite well and they showed me a great app. where you can write a word or sentence and it will translate it into Chinese and you can hear the sound. With any language if you don't use it you lose it. I want to study once or twice a week starting next week, but first I have to figure out if I want to learn from a Chinese friend/teacher or pay someone money to learn more seriously. I find Chinese quite hard to learn because of the four tones. Plus, I don't seem to use it that much because I live in an expat area, and on campus.

How is your Thai and how did you learn it? If you are in China, then how is your Chinese?

2. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Please consider Rosetta Stone as a great tool. I've got the 32 language version including Mandarin, Thai, etc...

My Thai should be much better considering how long I've been here. My biggest mistake was when I started to learn how to write when our son went to Kindergarten, but then stopped learning.

Unfortunately, did I lose interest and preferred my big bike and beers with other bikers and I stopped "drawing letters."

That's basically how you learn the Gok Gai, sala A and Ues....

My spoken Thai is good enough to hold a conversation, but when it comes to a word I don't know I've got to ask again or tell them to slow down.

I can easily get around and even know quite a lot of technical words. The Thai word for technology is taken from the German language Technologie, so ot's easy to remember...

But I found a solution and want to start speaking one day Thai at home, the next day English. Nothing better than learning by doing.

And Rosetta Stone has helped me a lot. Another problem is the local slang and just as an example: nobody says Sawasdee khrap, as it should be.

Most people say khap, which is wrong. People leave words out as we sometimes do, etc..

A great thread, I hope that others jump in soon.

Internationalteacher likes this.
  3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

My vocabulary is huge. My knowledge to have a good social or professional conversation is good. I can read quite a bit but writing didn't have my attention. All done by self-study. However, my fluency is below where I want it to be. Therefore I started to study Thai with a teacher. It was a kind of 2017 New Year's Resolution. I study on Tuesday and Wednesday from 11:30 - 13:00 h. The focus is reading and pronunciation. It's my third week now and am improving with huge steps.

Internationalteacher and sirchai like this.
  4. sirchai

Please let me know if you want a copy of Rosetta Stone. Would be at your place in a day, or two. It helps a lot and once you're really good, just switch the speaker off.....

5. Internationalteacher

That's awesome. I'd like to get the Mandarin one somehow.

That's really interesting that they do that, but I know many other languages use slang. I went to a Thai restaurant in Tianjin a few days ago and was speaking some Thai. I do know a little Thai, Korean and Chinese. I know a lot more French because I live near the Quebec border in Canada and am from a bilingual city.

6. Internationalteacher

Well done, Stamp! Self-study is the way to go forward when you are not taking lessons. I wish I was more disciplined in learning languages as I always seem to be doing schoolwork or at the gym instead of learning languages. lol.

7. sirchai

Please let me think of a file sharing program and once you've got access to all files ( and there are a lot, considering all the languages) you'll only have to find the setup exe.

If you burn it on a DVD ( 2.6 GB) the program only works with DVD inserted.

Or you use a program called Alcohol 120 %, or others and mount it on a device. Then you're basically fooling your machine and you create a new hard drive that only exists virtually.

8. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, but I have it. Used it to become where I am now. However, to improve my fluency and accuracy, I need a teacher hence my private classes since the beginning of this month.

9. sirchai

What I might never understand is that most of us ( and many other foreigners) do not learn much Thai from our Thai wives.

I've learned the most by going out and having a chat. But it gets boring when they always ask you the same questions and then the "Phuut Passa Thai Gaeng Maak" Bla bla.

Keep on learning, it's also on my list. A friend of mine who only spoke Thai with his second wife did learn the language pretty fast.

But i could still hear quite a lot of mistakes, instead of "Krung Thep" for Bangkok,
    he always said : "Krung Thip ", which is a cigarette brand, liked by Thais.

The tone makes the music. Also on this forum. And the tone here is pretty cool.

10. Internationalteacher

That would be great. I believe I can get it cheaply here in China, but I've heard that once you buy it at a cheap price here and open it at home - you may get a fake or an empty disc. LOL. A rip-off kind of thing.

11. sirchai

I'd just take my notebook with me and try it. That's really bad news that there are so many rip-offs around.

12. Internationalteacher

There are many rip offs and you have to double check everything. I got ripped off in a taxi one time where I got a fake 100 yuan bill. I didn't know until the next day when I ordered food and the delivery guy wouldn't accept the bill. He said it was fake. Now, I know how to check for fake bills.

13. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Well-Known Member

I spent the 4 months taking Chinese lessons last year. I have a pretty good foundation but still at the low end of being a beginner.

14. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Pimsleur is nice because it's all audio. You can just let it run.

Putonghua is especially challenging and written transcripts are available for this.

Search the Pirate Bay.

Amazon has a lot of books, and I brought half a dozen of them with me.

Used in conjunction with anything else (kind of like augmenting Headway with Interchange) you will acquire something.

Students are your friends. They can keep your tones and pronunciation within the intelligible range.

Instead of learning characters from a book and then trying to read signs on buildings, I plan to reverse the process and photograph the signs I see every day and have a student translate them and then go back to a book. It can't be any slower.

15. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Well-Known Member

^i've been using the Plecco app on my phone. It's got the screen reader for characters. A bit awkward to use but helpful.