1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long would I be entitled for severance pay?

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by sirchai, 8 Jan 2017.

1. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

.....or moan for that matter.

2. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

To be frank, it sounds like a shit place to work and you’re best off out of the place. I can understand the bitterness but as others have already stated, its far better to just move on and put it behind you. I speak from experience.

Any legal action is going to take a long time and you’ll be still be mentally tied to the place. If I thought for one second, they’d learn a lesson and treat their future teachers any better, then I’d said go for it. Just vote with your feet and get a new job.

I am assuming that you are on a one year contract, renewed each March/April? if that is the case then you’re not obliged to give them notice, neither are they. However, despite how crap they’ve been it’s professional courtesy to let them know, it’s up to you if you want to burn your bridges. It’s a fixed term contract, so once the contract comes to an end that’s it. It cuts both ways for the employee and employer, the 90 day notice period clause, is if either party wants to end the contract early. Just don’t bother to sign a new contract, when they offer you one for next year. Even if they’ve really pissed you off, just smile and say thanks I’ve had a better offer.

Start the ball rolling now and begin applying for jobs, sign a new contract and you won’t have to worry about unemployment pay etc.

sirchai likes this.
  3. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

Good luck with the new job, a few in Ubon at the moment I believe.

My prized possession leaving a school was copies of the student evaluations. I've handed over my documents at interviews and they always paid the most attention to these. Get copies if you can.

fred flintstone and stfranalum like this.
  4. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Teaching them is no fun, either. Gee, maybe there's a nexus.

5. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

Well, look ahead and go sell yourself. Get a new job pdq! Resign right before the new year kicks in. that way you will get another month's salary...

The Labour Court won't take cases versus government schools. You would have to file with the Administrative Court and then pay 2% of the amount you claim.

6. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Next week will be the last one at a place that isn't worth to work at.
    But I've learned another lesson and life goes on and life could be worse.
    I'll take it as a man and not look back. Thanks for the thumbs up.

7. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Well-Known Member

8. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

:thumbs up Best wishes and...keep smiling :smile

sirchai likes this.
  9. DavidUSA

DavidUSA την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

I am glad I had the experience of working in a bad school. Now it casts a light on what is really important to me, to what is personally enriching, and it clarifies what values I must pass down to my children.

I am not sure about severance pay in Thailand, so I cannot help you on that one. But others here can.

May is just around the corner, so you should probably finish your contract. I would be careful not to sign anything from your right now. It is a sign that they really think they are in trouble.
    My guess is that a boss is pocketing some money. It is just a guess. I have seen similar stories over and over again. It is like rats. They smell the money and will do anything to get it, no matter how damaging or how hopelessly risky.

As some of the others are telling you: you can do better. I often see jobs in China for teaching German. I would jump on one fast. You could make a lot teaching English on the side--a rewarding, genuine job.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2017