1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you save/invest money?

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by Internationalteacher, 11 Jan 2017.

1. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

These are not commodities...although people have treated them as such over the years.

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Goodness me, whilst it is appreciated that others are interested in this thread let's take a break....

Sunday jam said
    for the love of what ever higher power you do or do not pray to.....

3. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

One has to play the hype...not be a victim of it. The one friend of mine that benefited from this latest financial debacle...played the hype.

4. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

if, on the other hand, you buy a property for 1.4 million and the land floods. Nobody wants to buy it=total loss...same goes for soggy turds:smiling

5. bahn_farang

Thankfully, I have no idea what you are talking about. If there is another member that has bought something expecting it to increase in value I would welcome your input

6. bahn_farang

reading between the lines of my post, I did and....

7. SageAdvice

you need to share the secret code:smiling

8. bahn_farang

ah so the deciple does asketh the yoda .. how has thou made a fortune on 30k which will provide a future for retirement....

Please, quiet, please silence. Thank you. just jesting, keep on dissing the 30k teflers, you know best. I am content in my success

Last edited: 12 Jan 2017
  9. SageAdvice

no need to continually insist: you have no one to persuade but yourself:smiling

10. bahn_farang

so cute that you hang on my every word

11. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter AKA phuketbound

Having kids make it harder to save I'm sure. I know my brother put his two kids through university and it cost a bundle in Canada.

I've lived most of my life in the 'now' and I've been told time and time again by friends and family to start saving. It is a hard thing for me. My mom is a compulsive spender and is in so much debt it is ridiculous. Lucky for me, I got out of debt a few years ago, so it is time to save up.

I agree that there needs to be a fine balance. I have a few friends that aren't fun to be with as they are obsessed with every penny they spend and I am not.

Although for them, having a house, car, and other assets, and being taxed a considerable amount (in Canada) on their salary, doesn't allow for many people to save much.

12. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

i like how it was assumed...buy land..sell it...Bang! profit!

not that easy. and a lot of the running around and fixing things matters. time spent on the market matters.

if youre living there (in your own property) and value that ownership, then great. but i dont think buying up land and houses is worth as much as it is staying put in the marlet. so in this way, investing > speculating (from where im sitting) and it is indeed speculation that you think you could just go buy some thing and then turn around and sell it at profit. IF it were only that easy.

Internationalteacher likes this.
  13. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

Living in the now and having money in the bank are not necessarily incompatible. There are plenty of careers that enable you to do both. It's not so easy to do that in education, but not impossible.

Either you adjust your financial expectations to your career, or you adjust your career to your financial expectations.

Money doesn't make you happy, but long-term financial insecurity certainly adds to unhappiness.

Some of the happiest people I've ever met are also the poorest in financial terms.

14. SageAdvice

True, but what money can buy makes me very happy:smiling

We obviously travel in different circles: the less well off I know sweat too much from overwork and tend to drink Leo, eat from food court troughs and say things like "a/c is for sissies":smiling

15. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter AKA phuketbound

^Well I've been poor and I've been kind of rich, and I hated being poor as it was very stressful and I lived paycheck to paycheck. I'd rather have enough to live well and also save which is kind of what I'm doing now. And then I get used to this lifestyle and can't imagine being poor again. I guess I feel spoiled, but also can appreciate things.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations, and personal experiences.
    Off to do reports and find a decent paying job. ;)

Stamp likes this.