1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you save/invest money?

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by Internationalteacher, 11 Jan 2017.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

with all the talk of saving (and rightly so, we don't want to be slaving away at 60) it has got me thinking. What if I stash all my hard earned savings away, only to die at 59? (no offence meant to our senior members, who have chosen their own path to happiness)

Now of course, to live a life not preparing for the evening of our existence, is short sighted. But what of the now? What of the feeling that we have lived a full life of fun and enjoyment. Those of the Buddhist faith may disagree, but what if we do only have one life?

Now we should provide a little help me up for our children, but how much and to what extent to our own sacrifice?

I know of many things that I can do now that I fully expect I will not be able to do when I retire. The balance of now v. tomorrow is a very, yes very, personal one. I will raise the flag from personal experience however that preparing for an old age that doesn't come without significant recognition of the present is short sighted.

Save as you must, save as you think you should, but please forget not the now.

2. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

In that case, try self-educating...I've mentioned this before: you have to know basic terms/strategies to make investments that are right for you. At the simplest level, it's not that tedious or time-consuming. If, however, you have no interest in self-educating or in controlling your retirement nestegg, seek help from a fee-based financial adviser.

Internationalteacher likes this.
  3. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

You have said one thing true: Property generates income in the way of rent.

If you look at the graph you posted, you should notice that gold spikes only a few times over many years. Mostly, it's in decline. Much of the myth of growth is based on a hyper-inflated 1980 peak that has still never been recovered...even 37 years later.

Also, you have to consider the nature of inflation. Jimmy Carter was the last president to be fiscally responsible while dealing with an oil cartel. The end result was sta

Yeah...I'm gonna buy a chunk of shiny metal and watch it appreciate.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2017
  4. bahn_farang

wait wait stop! buy property, land, stocks and then the shiny gold (take a closer look). Come on my friend, property does as you say generate cash from rent but only a fool would stop there (not you). Buy property at cheap rice sell at expense price. Buy property from SAM then sell expensive.

5. SundayJam

You could just as easily buy pork bellies. Gold is nothing more than a commodity.

stfranalum and SageAdvice like this.
  6. bahn_farang

but going back to your point
    buy house cheapy sell for more happy happy make money, holds for gold too.

7. SundayJam

A house/apartment pays rent. Gold does nothing but sit in a safe somewhere....unless you make it into jewelry or use it in electronics.

Yes, one could sell his income making property after it appreciates. Gold will never pay dividends while waiting to be sold.

8. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

You're assuming that you don't have to sell either asset in a depressed market...buying a house in 2007 and being forced to sell it in 2009 put lots of folks under water...holds for gold, too.

stfranalum likes this.
  9. bahn_farang

sage yes

10. bahn_farang

if you buy property for let's say 1.4million baht. And let's say for want of a figure someone offers to buy said property for 35 million baht then you have gained a shed load. that's not rent thats....... a nest egg

11. bahn_farang

if you buy a lump of turd for 50 baht, then sell it for more.... you make a profit. Sunday jam I refuse to believe that you can not understand that a commodity can be held and sold at a time for more.

12. SundayJam

Never buy something because you assume it will appreciate in value. Also, NEVER buy something because it will give you a tax break. In each case, the asset must serve a purpose. The appreciation and tax benefit are secondary considerations. JMHO.

13. SundayJam

Commodity traders sell bacon, grain, cotton, and gold at the market's whims. If you want to add turds to that list...okay.

14. bahn_farang

Never? Like never? like a house, land, stock?

15. SundayJam

Peace out. ;-)