1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you choose? Head or Heart?

Discussion in 'The Sports Lounge' started by piggy, 31 Jul 2013.

1. piggy

piggy Thread Starter New Member

I just made my picks for the Premier League Predictor last night and got to thinking. When there is no money riding on your picks, do you choose some of the match results with your heart rather than analyzing the matchup with your brain? I'm particularly referring to picks involving "your team" as we'll as your team's rivals, both historic rivals and current league table combatants.

Man U is my team and I'm sure I'm gonna choose them to win weekly (heart) even if my brain says that they may very well lose to someone away on a short week or just a bad week. I just have to choose them...I mean, even if they lose I'm not gonna lose any money! Also, I find myself choosing a Man City to draw, not because I think they are on par with N'castle, but because I want them as far away as possible in the table, haha! (I may not do so well in this game!)

Example, for week one I chose Liverpool at home to draw with Stoke. My head told me to pick home win for Liverpool, but I would just love to see them lose their season home opener (heart). Now, I'd be forgiven if Stoke we're the home team right? And others may have leaned towards draw as well, am I right?

How do you pick matches when there's no money involved? Am I just strange? Too new to football? Or can I be considered a die-hard fan? Haha! :porky:

2. crew

crew Faber College Member

same as when there's money involved...

- who's at home
    - current form
    - key match ups
    - injuries
    - schedule (has a team recently played in europe or mid-week)
    - historical patterns (i used to dismiss this but evidence shows that's a bad idea)
    - motivations
    - is it a derby

then again, i'm pretty shit at gambling. take it for what it's worth (not much).
    -

3. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

if no money is involved, then it is hard to increase a bet size to recoup losses, but I will still go with betting them the same

-home team
    -likelihood a team is due for a loss or upset (recent form has been much better than it has all season long for an average team; a team on top has a lengthy unbeaten streak)
    - injuries
    - mismatches
    -locker-room drama (it will be hard to pick close games in favor of liverpool until suarez is gone)
    - coaches (how have they fared head to head over their careers)

4. crew

crew Faber College Member

i should have added, "and bans"
    a good shout.