1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heathly Thai Food

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Will18, 19 Sep 2014.

1. Will18

Will18 Thread Starter New Member

What are some Thai dishes that are very healthy? The only one that I know of is Som Tum.

2. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

They are all healthy provided you find a place that doesn't use MSG or cook in palm oil.

3. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

"Your mate, Marmite, with 1750mg per 100g, has more glutamate in it than any other manufactured product on the planet - except a jar of Gourmet Powder straight from the Ajinomoto MSG factory."

I like this article and really need to read it again. Especially the part about naturally-occurring MSG in parmesan cheese, to ato, etc...
    The anti-additive movement (check out the excellent and informative MSG: a neurotoxic flavor enhancer) admits that 'natural' and 'industrially produced' glutamate are chemically the same, and treated by the body similarly. So why doesn't anyone ever complain of a headache or hyperactivity after a four cheese and tomato pizza (where there's easily as much glutamate as in an MSG-enhanced chicken chow mein)?

If MSG is so bad for you, why doesn't everyone in Asia have a headache? | Life and style | The Observer

4. Mister T

Afraid I do not believe any man made chemical is the same as a naturally occurring one. I know people who get adverse reactions from MSG and it does knock them around.

5. gungchang

gungchang Over the hill for at least the 6th time!

6. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

MSG used to be extracted from seaweed by is now produced, more cheaply, by fermentation. Guess you won't be drinking any alcohol any more then. :smile:

What about the sodium chloride produced by boiling sea water? Is that somehow chemically different from 'naturally occurring' salt?

7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I love to eat Phaad Thai. That on the other hand depends on the shop that makes it, how healthy it is.

8. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

This is indeed a pet peeve of mine. The food that I eat, no matter how fresh is most assuredly dead. Any organism whose biological functions have ceased would certainly not be deemed healthy. Food can be, and indeed in Thailand often is, healthful.

I eat more raw fruits and veggies here than I have anywhere else (save maybe China). Foods containing MSG (which are in abundance) do nothing to promote good health, and are in fact believed to do quite the opposite.

I tend to think that dishes such as pad thai are little more than carbs and sodium.

My favorites (all with fresh ingredients and no MSG - or any type of sodium for that matter- added)
    som tum thai (the poo palaa and things like that just don't do it for me)
    tom yung koong (provided it isn't laden with sodium - i.e. only if my wife cooks it)
    laab (beef or pork - had tofu at a jay thing several years ago, didn't much care for it)
    any of the fruits I can pick up for 30 baht or less from the fresh market

9. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I also like to eat Paat Paak Luang ( mixed vegetable), but again- you'll never know what other microorganisms come with it for free.

A lot of farmers are using human excrement for their fields and it might be better if we don't really know how the stuff grew and how people are handling it afterwards.

I never saw a cook coming back from the bathroom, washing his/her hands with soap.

10. gungchang

Didn't Wash Hands.jpg

Didn't Wash Hands.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
  11. Mister T

So you are saying sea salt is not naturally occurring?

12. trnwrk

trnwrk Well-Known Member

13. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

Depends what your eating. These guys are continuously eating me and I'm pretty healthy!

imagesHP7ICM6Z.jpg

imagesHP7ICM6Z.jpg

14. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

'These girls ...........'

Only female mosquitoes drink your blood.

15. gungchang

There must be something about the female gender of all species.

stock-photo-beautiful-young-woman-as-sexy-vampire-in-red-dress-halloween-portrait-152468687.jpg

stock-photo-beautiful-young-woman-as-sexy-vampire-in-red-dress-halloween-portrait-152468687.jpg