1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Healthcare for our children

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bahn_farang, 15 Nov 2016.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

A friendly warning. There are many hospitals in the area where I live so this actual event could have taken place in any of them.

Now my smallest daughter is sleeping soundly upstairs, yesterday was a bit of a different story:

9:00am Wife gets a call from the school, our daughter is vomiting. Wife picks up said daughter and returns home

1:00pm I return home and am shocked that my daughter is at home and is vomiting

1:30pm daughter taken to the hospital

2:00pm the junior doctor says that our daughter must be an in-patient since she has not had a pee since 9:00am. We ask for details and are told that if we don't believe her we can always go to another hospital and asked by same doctor why we were questioning her judgement. Scared, we relented.

3:00pm Our daughter has had a nap in my arms and we are in the process of weighing her. The nurse has said that they will take blood sample and pump some super saline into my daughter until she pees and then normal saline to help her regain fluids. Mean while I am giving her water and a banana which she is wolfing down. No vomit! I am just about to change her clothes when she says she needs a pee. Let the angels sing, never in my life have I been so relieved that my daughter needs a pee.

3:15 We tell the nurses that our daughter will not be staying in hospital since the only reason she was going to stay over night was that she hadn't taken a pee. Raised eyebrows, we are going against the words of the doctor.

6:00 I have now waited for an hour for the take home drugs, get the drugs which includes an injection ordered by the doctor to stop vomiting. My daughter has not vomited since about 2:00pm.

6:30 We go to the injection station and the nurse gets confused as to which daughter it is that needs the injection. I have no idea if this matters dose, needle size etc. but by the time I realise this I am pretty much wanting to run out into the hall with my daughter.

we ask for a second opinion. the doctor says that the injection (which was to be into the vein and not muscle) is not needed and just to take the other medicine

7:00 We go out to dinner, my daughter demands a stop at a 7 eleven first, she eats nearly a whole packet of sausages and lots and lots of water followed by fried rice. This girls is catching up big time. The medicine has not been touched

end of story is that although the doctors do their best, keep an eye out and trust your instincts.

This is an isolated case and I have been looked after well by the same hospital and yes their job is to be careful but it has made me think about the future even more.

2. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Superwoman

^I'm so glad your daughter is okay now. It is a good idea to trust your own instincts and to get a second opinion. We know our own bodies and our children's bodies best ultimately.

I find that doctors here too overprescribe medication like crazy. I have bags of meds that I threw out because I didn't take all of the things they gave me last year.