1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy Independence Day 2015

Discussion in 'Social and Public Events Calender' started by Stamp, 4 Jul 2015.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Independence Day of the United States, also referred to as Fourth of July or July Fourth in the U.S., is a federal holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, by the Continental Congress declaring that the thirteen American colonies regarded themselves as a new nation, the United States of America, and no longer part of the British Empire. Independence Day is commonly associated with fireworks, parades, barbecues,carnivals, fairs, picnics, concerts, baseball games, family reunions, and political speeches and ceremonies, in addition to various other public and private events celebrating the history, government, and traditions of the United States. Independence Day is the National Day of the United States.

Independence-Day-Pictures.png

2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Or, put more concisely:

1) The 3 food groups are hot dogs & hamburgers & potato salad.

2) The 3 drink groups are beer & wine & carbonated sugar bombs.

3) After consuming #1 & #2, play with small explosive toys.

[​IMG]

Cal Roy likes this.
  3. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Indeed a happy 4th to all. It is nice for it to fall on a Saturday this year.

Stamp likes this.
  4. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

This is my fourth 4th spent in Thailand. It is one of the times I miss my country the most as it is my favorite holiday. Christmas is all about guilt and over-indulging and Thanksgiving is your chance to sit with people you have avoided for a year. The 4th celebrates with, as mentioned earlier, the 3 food groups and then lots of fireworks. I will miss sitting on a lawn with my family and hundreds of locals ooohing and ahhhhhing all the blasts in the air. Happy 4th to you all.

Stamp likes this.
  5. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Cheers, guys. Thanks for your replies.

6. gungchang

I would think that Monday and Friday are the favorite days because of the resulting three day weekend.

AFAIK, Christmas, New Year, and The Fourth are the only holidays that don't get shuffled around to create three day weekends. Even then, I remember the Rose Parade being held on Jan. 2 when Jan. 1 fell on a Sunday. Thanksgiving, of course, has always been a four day weekend.

7. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

As we are in Thailand, the 4th is not celebrated. If it were to fall on fri or mon, i'd be working summer school

8. gungchang

Yes, and that may explain why all my memories of the Fourth are from the US and why I lapsed and was thinking of the US, not Syam.

It remains one of two dates I've never gotten used to writing at work. The other is Dec. 25.

I'll lobby the junta to start celebrating it. If they can celebrate Christmas, they can celebrate the 4th.
    How difficult can it be to sell an excuse to shoot off leftover skyrockets from Chinese Day?

9. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

How amusing. 4th of the July and Junta in the same sentence. It follows that Obama is the general and the true rulers are the UK.

10. NODIIT

NODIIT Well-Known Member

Ungrateful colonials :cool

[​IMG]

I read on FB today that the best place to celebrate 4th of July in KK was ... a French restaurant :hilarious.

bahn_farang and ramses like this.
  11. gungchang

Okay, thank you UK for giving Stalin a working jet engine so the Soviets could reverse engineer it and build the MiG-15 in time for the Korean war.

NODIIT likes this.
  12. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

you are welcome. see not that hard to express gratitude :smiling

NODIIT likes this.