1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grammar question

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by Templeton, 14 Oct 2016.

1. Joko

Joko Active Member

I teach a 5 hour IELTS prep class on a regular basis.

I believe there are studies that show that 70 minutes is about as long as any human being can sit in a classroom and learn effectively at any one continuous stretch.
    In that 5 hours, they get two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute break halfway through.

Two hours? If your students are paying for their class, I doubt they'd appreciate losing 33% of what they're paying for.

2. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Also use past perfect for deceased persons. I always write the two examples on the board and ask my students what the difference is. Then, I'll draw an alive person under present perfect followed by a dead one under past perfect. The kids always like this example.

He has lived all of his life in Bangkok vs. He had lived all of his life in Bangkok

wine emoticon.jpg dead emoticon.png

3. Templeton

Templeton Thread Starter Member

Not sure that's a good example as of late but I get the point and appreciate the help. Joko, 5 hours of teaching but one hour of breaks? It sounds like my 6 hours may be entitled to at least 30 minutes more than your break style eh??

Anyway, as I mentioned before, when I get the actual schedule and book later this week I'll ask for advice while giving MOAR information. But damn, 6 hours seems tough and monotonous.