1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPS on vans

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by Tonyja, 16 May 2017.

1. Tonyja

Tonyja Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Transport news... Some vans now have gps trackers to restrict speeds to 90kph. Going over the limit will result in 1000 baht fine. I spoke to a driver who did 97 and was busted after the device bleeped. I say some vans have it because it's not compulsory until the end of the year. It can only be a good thing, should be 70 in my opinion.

Stamp likes this.
  2. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Every electronic device on the planet can be hacked or otherwise subverted--including this one.

This one would be especially easy to mimic. A spectrometer would tell you a lot right away, and I doubt that the device uses any kind of sophisticated encryption. Let's say it does... remove it, and put it on a tuk-tuk.

sirchai likes this.
  3. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

When they started with their old technology to check driver's time behind the wheel a simple chewing gum finally helped to change the whole data.

It's just a matter of time when cracks for these GPS systems will be available.

It would make more sense if a double secured- mechanically and electronically secured unit wouldn't allow the truck to drive faster than 90 km /h. Of course depending on the type of the engine. The technology is there.

In my own and humble opinion, would a truck's speed be limited to only 70 km/h the accident rate on two lane roads would certainly increase.

4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I've seen that plenty of vans not driving faster than 90 km/h. Some of them even 80 km/h.

But 70 km/h wouldn't be very helpful in my opinion and only more head on head collisions would be the result on two lane roads. It's time for Thailand to change many things, nut just the school system.

But they usually don't like advice from others, so it can only be done when it looks like a Thai had the idea. If you really want to see Thailand's worst drivers, please visit lower northeast.

But honestly speaking, what can you expect from admirals and generals in all leading positions?