1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by gungchang, 1 Apr 2015.

1. gungchang

gungchang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

It's wheels up the day after tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to traveling alone. Still, I thought I was at least one year away from a visit "home." I am a little excited about making the trip now.

I ponder where to go and what to do. A visit to the deli in Tops at Central Lad Prao, shopping at Big C and Tesco for things like plastic food bags, worcestershire sauce, tuna, etc are on the list, as is a visit to Villa for Fireball and other exotic items to bring back. My wife has a 10,000 baht shopping list for her in-law to fill, including a case of coconut milk.

Since I'm going back to our condo, I don't need to pack clothes or toiletries. I can imagine the reaction of a security officer or customs agent who examines my bag and finds only groceries - neither clothes nor a toothbrush in sight.

More immediate is changing money. I have 67 100 yuan notes. I'm not sure where I'd get a better rate. In China, I'd get USD or euros and change them in Bangkok. Not a bad idea, I'd trade 67 notes for 6 or 7 notes - much easier and safer to carry.

But, in Bangkok, I'd change money once, yuan to baht, and pay one less forex commission.

I've also heard of a USD 500 per day limit. Not sure if that would apply at the airport. If so, I'd change at both airports.

I'm thinking of going to a bank today. Carrying a fistful of notes worries me. Seven notes in my wallet or passport pouch would be far more discreet.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2017
    Internationalteacher likes this.
  2. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher AKA phuketbound

^Have a nice trip! I'm envious, missing Thailand so much!
    What I do for money exchange is just change a little in the airport and then change it once in the new country.

3. gungchang

That's reassuring. I feared a worse rate in Thailand. I really fear being stuck with a deck of RMB.

In two and a half hours, I'll be looking for a taxi to the airport. The school is on break so they won't be parked at the gate.

My wife spotted in error in my itinerary. It shows I arrive in Bangkok shortly after midnight on Jan 14, when in fact it will be Jan 15 when I arrive. The departure is shortly before midnight Jan 14, and the itinerary shows that.

So, I should be able to board my connecting flight; I just might need a time machine to disembark?

My wife and I are going into shock. We don't travel alone. Her father's funeral necessitated a solo trip last year, and a bureaucratic oversight is prompting this trip. She's small enough to fit in a suitcase, but she weighs double our allowance.

4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

IMG_0377.JPG

gungchang likes this.
  5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

classic, safe journey

6. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

My wife recently did an exchange at Suvarnabhumi, and I calculated that it was fair.

By the way:

from Yahoo

"GOOD NIGHT, Mrs. Calabash--wherever you are!"

For years, Jimmy Durante ended his radio and television shows with that unusual sign-off. Most people thought the mysterious Mrs. Calabash must have been some fictional character that Durante dreamed up just to tease his audiences. But longtime residents of Calabash, North Carolina believe otherwise. The folks in this town will tell you she was a real person with a real name--and a fascinating story to boot. They claim that Mrs. Calabash was really a local woman named Lucille "Lucy" Coleman.
    In 1940, Lucy was 28 years old and running a restaurant in Calabash, then a tiny seaside community bordering South Carolina. Durante and his touring entertainment troupe are said to have stopped in for supper one night. It may have been the genuine homespun friendliness of the young restaurant owner that prompted the gregarious Jimmy Durante to beckon Lucy over to his table for some short chitchat. "I'm going to make you famous," vowed Durante, thinking she recognized his well-known face. (In fact, at that moment, she didn't even know who he was!) Lucy's daughter, Clarice Holden, says she will never forget what happened next.

SECRET SIGN OFF

"As Mr. Durante and his group were walking out the door after their meal," Clarice recalls,"he turned to my mom and said, 'Good night Mrs. Calabash.' "
    It wasn't long afterward that this popular entertainer began signing off his radio shows with a similar message. For years, audiences enjoyed this rather lighthearted farewell mystery. By the time of Durante's death in 1980, it had become one of his trademarks, almost as recognizable as his big "schnozzola". But while that sign-off may have remained a mystery to most folks, Calabash residents believe it was Durante's way of saying to Mrs. Coleman, "Hi, Lucy--I remember you, if you're still out there now."
    Lucy Coleman passed away in 1989, nearly 50 years after her meeting with Jimmy Durante. Calabash residents note that Lucy recognized the significance of Durante's little secret message but preferred to stay out of the limelight. She had no desire to claim credit as the real "Mrs. Calabash." "Mom was a very private person," recalls Clarice, "She didn't speak much about her 'Mrs. Calabash' entity, and declined all interviews and all invitations to appear on television."
    Apparently, Durante's popularity was so great that he could immortalize a prim Southern restaurant keeper. But neither he nor anyone else could get her to talk.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2017
  7. gungchang

Yes, this is where I got Mrs. Calabash.

The planes were packed. Both were late. The second one was not fun, five hours like sardines and a howling baby.

I have in-laws in the condo so it's not exactly like being "home" but it is nice being back in the neighborhood.

This should have been obvious, but home is where my wife is.

I bought an AIS SIM and learned that my Chinese phone, like my Thai phone, works with DTAC and True.

No problem. It still won't connect to the network. I know my 4G is on a different frequency, but the 3G & 2G should read.

Tomorrow is round one at the MFA.

Tues & Wed or Tues or Thurs are round two with the Chinese and I'll walk to my old school to get there. Such nostalgia!

Stamp likes this.
  8. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Best of luck, gungchang.

9. bahn_farang

Man after my own heart

10. gungchang

I made it to and through the MFA.

Trying to get my D T A C SIM to work, I accidentally walked into a TRUE office and they got their SIM to work, incluidng 4G! Instead of 50 baht on SIM, I've spent 800 on three. Money well spent, though.

So much has changed in 16 months. Villa S'market seemed the same.

Tomorrow I see my old salt mine and tango with the Chinese.

11. gungchang

The Chinese Visa Application Center, like the Thai Foreign Ministry, declined to "legalize" the Chinese translation. I declined to pay several hundred more baht to get it today and I'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

The school is alarmed because they expected a Chinese translation.

It all comes down to what the seal looks like.

Meanwhile,back at the ranch, Sky and Penny are pining away and time is passing very slowly.

I am not looking forward to another sardine can experience with an eight hour layover.

12. gungchang

I got the damned sticker.

Traffic was revolting.

I'm shocked at how prices have increased in such a short time.

Stamp and bahn_farang like this.
  13. bahn_farang

So that's good news! objectives achieved despite the traffic. Enjoy the rest of your stay. Good to hear of your success

14. bahn_farang

hope you enjoyed the pizza at Ladprao!

15. gungchang

In spite of two for one Tuesday night, I opted for lasagna.

It's 22 below in Baotou. My wife wears a coat and stays in bed. She had to go out to the campus water station when it's colder outside than it is in the freezer.

Once again, wheels up in about 20 hours. I'll be bringing a lot of Thailand back with me.