1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by gungchang, 1 Apr 2015.

1. gungchang

gungchang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I'm preparing to move to Inner Mongolia.

Somebody once set a real-time thread up for when I survived CELTA a couple of years ago.

That resulted in a real-time journal of the process.

I thought I'd do the same with my upcoming move..

Here's a brief time line:

early March - I expect to hear the results of my teaching evaluation. I learn that I won't have a new contract next month.

early March - A recruiter puts me in touch with a school in Mongolia. I agree to come.

mid-March - I don't hear from them for over a week, and conclude that they've changed their minds.

mid-March - I apply and try out and make the grade at a great school in Bangkok. I tell Mongolia I won't be coming after all.

late March - Mongolia informs me that they weren't able to contact me for a few days and ask me not to change my mind.

late March - I decline the position in Bangkok.

yesterday - I fill out a form for Chinese immigration

today - I take passport photos and scan them and send them to Inner Mongolia.

I should receive a contract soon. My wife and I both need to get our medical exams.

From here, it should be micro posts whenever there's a development (trip to embassy, hospital, etc.)

I'll continue it until something goes wrong and we don't go, or until we return to Bangkok.

bd598 likes this.
  2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

should be an interesting read i'm awaiting the next chapter!

3. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

Mongolian women are HOT! And you can practice your throat singing there too!

[video]https://youtu.be/qNFSB4PnVPI[/video]

She's a whole lotta woman!

4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Cheers, Gungchang. Looking forward. :thumbsup2:

5. Tullkra

Tullkra Active Member

Totally jealous- Mongolia was where I had planned to go after 1 year teaching here and haven't exactly reached it.

Hope everything goes well. Never know might see ya out here.

MK

6. spliff

spliff New Member

Mongolia is in China?

7. gungchang

Inner Mongolia is a Chinese political unit. I use Mongolia and China interchangeably. My wife is getting an S1 visa and I'm getting a Z visa. We'll visit the PRC consulate. I guess it's China.

- - - Updated - - -

first micro-post

school wants more info for the gov't. ap on their end.
    I'll try again for a med exam this PM
    Wife might try on Saturday
    Will try to print her visa pix between classes.

I ain't exactly getting work done at school

8. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Nei Mongol Autonomous Region, is an autonomous region of the People's Republic of China, located in the north of the country, containing most of China's border with Mongolia (the rest of the China-Mongolia border is taken up by the Xinjang and Gansu provinces) and a small section of the border with Russia. Its capital is Hohhot, and other major cities include Baotou, Chifeng, and Ordos.
    Taken from:
    Inner Mongolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think gungchang meant Inner Mongolia.
    Politics nowadays is a bit more confusing with all the nationalist movements. It used to be easier - a smaller quantity of large countries to memorize. Now it's a large quantity of smaller countries plus autonomous/semi-independent regions/states.

9. gungchang

Baotou, Inner Mongolia

I was wary of the "What is your religion?" question on the immigration paperwork. In an Islamic country, one doesn't want to say "atheist." In a Communist country, that answer might be a good idea. Mongolia (according to the WIki article) has freedom of worship, Inner Mongolia may not. I answer "deist" and try to keep everybody happy.

I finally found some pix of something other than smokestacks. Sexy mounted policewomen, Burger King, a lady boy, a desert, a monastary, and some rather exotic architecture are all waiting. And, I'll have my wife in tow (and completely at my mercy - hmmm . . .)!

FOREIGN201503240836000502506176484.jpg

W020110713393158423432.jpg

My True internet is acting up and I have to get to work (six days and counting). There is a lot more to Baotou than these two pix, though.

FOREIGN201503240836000502506176484.jpg

W020110713393158423432.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
    sirchai likes this.
  10. gungchang

The doctor I needed to see at Paolo Hospital had gone home by the time I arrived at 5:30 p.m.

The service is available seven days a week.

My wife and I will swing by on Sunday.

If there's a problem, we'll swing by Rama 9 Hospital (near the PRC consulate) on Monday (a school holiday).

There's a three day holiday in China. My contract should be ready for me to sign after that. Then our Thai three day holiday begins.

I should probably have the school cut my check at the earliest possible moment to be sure that the person who does it isn't on vacation when I need it.

Before Songkran, I hope to have the medical exam done and the contract signed. Then the wait for the WP and letter of invitation and we apply for our visas. Then, while waiting for them, we buy our plane tickets (including a complimentary five to ten hour layover).

We already miss the girl we usually take care of. This is one of the downsides.

Also just in: a friend had to wait several months to get an FBi record check. This delay might have cost me the WP had I opted for Hor Wang. I might have lost both jobs had I made the "safe" choice and gone with them. Butterfly Effect & Sliding Doors both come to mind.

11. gungchang

We made the trip to the hospital today. A few people asked me who the girl (my grand-niece-in-law) was.

We jumped through the hoops (EKG, X-ray, blood work, etc.) and went home. I returned in a couple of hours and the results weren't quite ready. I hadn't been back home for long when the nurse called saying that we could pick them up. My wife braved the heat this time. I was glad we'd gone to Paolo, near a BTS station and close to home, rather than Rama 9 near the PRC consulate.

I'd been warned that the farang price would be higher, and I braced for the worst. The farang surcharge was between 5% & 10% - no BFD.

My next quest is find out what outlets are in use in Inner Mongolia.

china-socketfit.jpg

I'll also want to be sure that we can get international ATM cards. I can't think of an easier way to send money from the PRC to Syam than to mail the needy relative his own ATM card so he can withdraw money from our account. I suppose that we'll want to have two bank accounts, one purpose specific. Paypal might be an option for computer literate recipients. So much to learn, so much to do.

I still have "road not taken" thoughts about Hor Wang. What am I getting us into?

ptg01886127.jpg

Something interesting that will last for a couple of years, I hope!

china-socketfit.jpg

ptg01886127.jpg

12. chuachinsoon

Buy a few international plug adapters. See the link for some pictures. I've seen them sold in shops like Power Buy. If they sell them in Khon Kaen, they definitely sell them in Bangkok.

Error 403 (Forbidden)!!1

Edited:The link works. You just need to click on the images.

13. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

mongolia-socketfit.jpg

mongolia-socketfit.jpg

14. gungchang

Seeing all the adapters has jogged my memory. Somewhere I have one of those universal wonders that just might squeeze into the Chinese flavor. A lot of my other adapters are at home or school adapting the extension cords I've acquired in other countries - everything except the one I'll probably need.

I've also asked the school to let me know what is in the apartment.

Anyway, a trip to Fortune IT is in my immediate future, both for the PRC/Oz adapter and for the elusive Surface RT. (Being able to boot Linux from a flash drive using an RT tablet would really give me both worlds in an inexpensive bundle.)

I'll post a pic of some of what's available at Fortune IT

Also on my agenda on my day off is to put Mandarin courses on a tablet and netbook.

I guess the "fun" part of the move is starting.

15. chuachinsoon

This one?

travel-plug-adapter.jpg

travel-plug-adapter.jpg