1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going country

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by Tonyja, 15 Jan 2017.

1. Tonyja

Tonyja Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I want to make the move to the countryside to work very soon. It's been on the cards for 6 months or so now, mostly for my kids sake and the rest for my sake. I'm a country boy and although i like money i hate Bangkok more.
    I have looked at Loei or Ubon Ratchatani, the main difference seems to be 5k salary difference.
    Getting to that, i make 50k here in Bkk. Rent all in is 12, and the rest just goes. So 6000 saved straight away on housing in the sticks. Help me fellas, it will be cheaper wont it? I'm shitting the idea of 34k a month...

Last edited: 15 Jan 2017
  2. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

I am familiar with both provinces.
    Between Loei and Ubon Ratchatani I'd chose Loei, if I was you.
    You could find approximately 100 -120 sq. meters house to rent for about 3000 - 4000 baht easy, up in Loei.
    Loei is a great place for families to live in and for countryside lovers in general.

Tonyja likes this.
  3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I'm not familiar with those provinces but I'm living upcountry too. It's true that salaries are a lot lower than in Bangkok. At our EPs and RPs the salaries average at 34,000 and 32,000 THB. Housing and food are cheap, though. But above all, the freedom and space to go anywhere on the bicycle or motorcycle to enjoy free time is most important to me.

Over the years I've built a good reputation in conducting after-school-classes. Work a lot now while I still have the energy. Currently teach at home 16 hours per week. The income generated from that supplements my RP-salary generously.

sirchai and Tonyja like this.
  4. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Perhaps a middle ground would be to live in a larger provincial city? You then get some of the comforts you’re used to in Bangkok, with cheaper living costs and the countryside on your doorstep. If you’re right out in the sticks you’ll have fewer schools to choose from and less potential for private work. I’ve been to both Loei and Ubon Ratchathani, only for a few days on seminars EP open houses. Ubon is actually quite developed with some nice restaurants and bars. Loei is much quieter but also much prettier than Ubon. Khon Kaen is a nice city too. There's a lot of economic development going on in the North East at the moment.

I live in Korat/Nakhon Ratchasima. It’s never going to be the eighth wonder of the world for natural beauty but it's quite a good place to live.
    Even when you’re in the heart of the city you can be out in the paddy fields within 5-10 minutes. Its close to Khao Yai for some less developed countryside and natural beauty. When I rented a house, I paid 3k for an unfurnished 2 bed townhouse, so 5k including electricity, water and internet. Rents have risen a bit as you’d expect but you can still find cheap houses if you search around. 5-6k would average for a house with a small garden. 10k would get you a flash apartment or a very nice house. 35k is the going salary in Korat, although you can get 40-45 at some schools, in return for teaching 4pm-5pm every day.

Tonyja likes this.
  5. Tonyja

Tonyja Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input fellas..freedom and the cheaper housing are a really big draw. Loei even more so because of the scenery. I've seen 32,000 there and i guess it would be easy to pick up private work.

6. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Tired fellow, Ubon Ratchathani is a great place and you'll find plenty of schools.

I've worked there and know Ubon quite well. I also know a lot of school head teachers, directors and the heads of the educational offices and could maybe of help to get you a job.

But I'm afraid that you don't find a position where you'll have more than 30 - 35 K as a starting salary.

P.S. I also know the schools you should avoid.

There're some schools with an EP and a high school with a British curriculum.

Way better to have air-conditioned classrooms than boiled eggs.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2017