1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tax Gan Goes To The Tax Office

Discussion in 'Tax issues' started by GanDoonToonPet, 12 Mar 2016.

1. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Thread Starter Well-Known Member

OK I've started this thread to expand on my other one & hopefully help other BMs who find themselves in the same position.

May 2011 - Apr 2013

I worked for a school, called by some the SS but worse by others, for 2 years.

My salary was 35k but during the interview they told me that they employ creative accountants. 500B was deducted every month for 'tax' purposes, over the next 2 years but which was paid back at the end of the contract as a bonus; it was paid back, so that is good.

Teachers who paid tax even asked their wives to call the admin, to obtain their tax number or details, but had the phone slammed down on them.

Teachers employed via other avenues were not subject to the same conditions.

May 2014 - Apr 2015

Finally I secured a job in a respected EP & expected to be treated with respect in turn. My salary was 50k tax free; the school paid the tax. Most teachers, including the Head of Foreign Staff, chose to be paid in cash.

May 2014 - Apr 2015

Tax seemed all above board. I paid 1000B tax on my 55k salary in 2014 but 3000B on the same salary in 2015...

This is the same school that I, repeatedly, asked for an annual tax statement from but didn't provide one.

May 2014 - Apr 2015

Onto the new school. The 'accountant' informed me that they couldn't pay my tax because my details (DOB I think) didn't match my passport. This despite my 2 previous schools (supposedly) paying my tax without any issues.

I took the Thai form, to the Thai tax office, to the people who speak Thai & are experts on the Thai tax system. They gave me a yellow card on which was printed my old tax number...

So I can't pay the tax for last year & I can't pay the tax for this year. More importantly, I can't renew my WP for next year if I don't have a receipt for tax paid for the year 2015.

I really want to stay at my current school & everyone from the Director down would love me to stay. It's a shame that I can't because of corrupt, incompetent & unaccountable bureaucrats at the tax office.

Anyway, my tax story...

Last edited: 12 Mar 2016
  2. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

Hang on... you're blaming the tax office because the schools are screwing you over?
    How does that work?
    What exactly do you want the tax office officials to do for you?

At your first school you supposedly paid 'tax' which was then somehow paid back to you as a bonus?
    Surely this must have raised some red flags.

At the second school everything appeared "above board" even AFTER you repeatedly asked them for a tax statement and wasn't given one... FOR TWO YEARS!

You've only got yourself to blame. It's your job to pay your taxes, no-one else's.

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I have to agree with this one.

My employer paid my tax in the years 2005 until 2011. Such didn't mean that I didn't have to file PIT. You have to and the tax payer is officially the only one who can do it. In those years, the employer paid the the tax bill after filing. The yellow-white tax receipt was in my case needed for both immigration and labour. Without it, no extension and renewal.

Whether employers pay the tax or not, the taxpayer/ employee IS responsible for fling PIT. Nobody else.

The school's monthly taxation form has only two items that MUST be linked. The name of the tax payer and tax payer's tax ID.

To be honest, I miss the link between
    and
    Please clarify.

Teacher MARK likes this.
  4. GanDoonToonPet

This was an extension of comments I made in another post. Easy to check, there aren't that many on here nowadays.

Things have moved on, thanks to my (non-Thai) friends at my last school. The tax statement will hopefully be with me soon but whether the abortion the tax office has created leads to me not being able to pay my tax, and renew my WP, remains to be seen...

5. GanDoonToonPet

As I said , it did. Simple logic dictates that teachers on vastly different salaries would not pay the same tax: 500B per month. IMO this was simply a ruse to recoup WP / Extension costs should the legal teachers who were working there leave before the end of the contract.

6. GanDoonToonPet

I want them to, when I give them a form (in Thai) for the sole purpose of changing my tax number, to change my tax number.

Is that too much to expect from them?

Also, I expect that when I register to pay my taxes online & am given a user ID & password, that the user ID & password should allow me to submit my taxes instead of giving me an error message when trying to login.

Is that too much to expect from them?

7. GanDoonToonPet

Meanwhile, time is ticking & I only have 15 days to submit my taxes. I suppose if it all goes wrong it's my fault...

8. GanDoonToonPet

Anyway, once in receipt of the tax statement from my old school, I'm going to take that, along with the statement from my new school, to the tax office myself.

Like you both say, I AM the only one responsible for (my life, future) paying my taxes, therefore I AM going to have to sort it out myself.

End of... :cool

9. Stamp

Hope all gets sorted out well.

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  10. GanDoonToonPet

If it doesn't, then I've only myself to blame...

...these things I have learnt from my time on the TTA forum & other places. :smile

11. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

Just out of interest, how many digits does your tax ID number have? 10 or 13?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Mar 2016
  12. Stamp

My tax ID has 10 digits.

What does that have to do with SSO, Teacher Mark?

Ajarn Greg likes this.
  13. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

I thought it's 13 digits for the online login. The 10 digit one is the old one. I think they changed to 13 digits last year... or year before. I'll have to go home and check my tax id card. I don't carry it with me.

14. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

You are correct. It IS 13 digits. I think we may just have solved (one of) Goons tax issues.

15. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Ah there you go. Another mystery solved. Yay! :)