1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FYI - Timeline for an initial work permit application (WP.1)

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by Stamp, 28 May 2014.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Today I applied for my initial work permit WP.1, for working in a government school.

For your information an overview of the timeline.

• 1 May 2014 - Signing of the employment contract
    • 27 May 2014 - My coordinator told me that all documents to apply for the work permit were ready. The documents also include the employment confirmation letter from the Educational Service Area of the Ministry of Education (external party in the process).
    • 28 May 2014 - Work permit (WP.1) application. No problems at all with the documents submitted.
    My work permit will be ready around Wednesday 4 June 2014. I've to call. :thumbsup2:

hobbes likes this.
  2. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Good for you, Stamp. Here's my story about obtaining WP and extension of stay.

For the first time of working here for 10 years plus, I managed to get my work permit before I started work.
    I signed a new employment contract on 17 March and the school had my documents (including the letter from the ESA) ready on 21 April. I applied with my at that date current work permit and extension of stay, valid until 30 April, and got my work permit on 25 April, valid from 1 May 2014 until 30 April 2015. On 28 April I got the extension of stay from the local Immigration Office for the same period.
    This way I didn't have to leave the country for a new non-immigrant B visa and saved the visa fee for Laos and Thailand and the traveling expenses to Vientiane.

3. Stamp

Thanks for sharing, luibkk.

I still think it was a very rare and uncommon procedure. It seemed that everybody wanted to cooperate. Good on you.

4. Stamp

Unfortunately, my work permit isn't ready yet. The Labour Office blames it on the Governor's Office. I think they had internal problems themselves.

:cursing:

On 28 June 2014, my extension of stay will expire. I have to go to Immigration tomorrow. Hopefully for an extension of stay based on employment but if my work permit isn't ready, it's be a 7-days extension. Waste of 1,900 THB.

5. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

Luckily, most of my time in this country, I have had the non O based on marriage, not work. It saved me so many headaches with bureaucracy, it was worth keeping the money in the bank. Agree with you about Lui though, he is extremely lucky with his. :thumbsup2:

6. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

Will your school pay the 1900 THB or is that your responsibility?

Can I also ask how long do you get with B visa as my passport was stamped for 3 months. I had always believed that it was for 60 days and only noticed the 90 when I was worried I had to extend it?

7. Stamp

Visa extensions are the employee's responsibility at my school.

I had a 60 days extension of stay based on visiting spouse. When changing jobs and married to a Thai national you can apply for such an extension so that you don't have to leave the country and apply for a non-immigrant B at an Embassy or Consulate.

Dubarry likes this.
  8. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Non-immigrant B visa is usually 90 days so it can be up to 2 days shorter than the 3 months period e.g I changed my TR in Bangkok into a non-B on 11 June valid until 8 Sept.

Dubarry likes this.
  9. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

At my last 2 schools, I don't know how long it 'took' to get the WP. The schools always waited until a few days before the B expired expired to take us all to the MoL then immi on the same day to process everything.

The visa guy took our waiver applications to the TCT yesterday. Apparently they are very busy & won't issue the paperwork, if any, for 2 weeks. They will call him tomorrow though, so hopefully I'll either be partying or drowning my sorrows at the weekend. :smile:

10. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

...which won't be reimbursed. These things are so infuriating!

Met a teacher who tried to get his B-Visa sorted before the beginning of the school year. No luck. His HoD would have had to d e l e g a t e this, not do the work himself

11. Stamp

Got a call at 09:00 h that my work permit was ready. :)

Picked it up at about 10.

Made some copies and off to the Immigration Office 60 km south.

Immigration Office closed until 13:00 h. Staff meeting!!!

12. Stamp

The office opened at 13:30 h. I was number 5 in the cue.

There were some problems with some dates but after the officer spoke with the head I heard them saying 'mai pen rai'. They did ask for my tax clearance over 2013. I had both copies and the original with me.

Good until academic year 2015.

:bouncing:

Mister T likes this.
  13. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Stamp! :)

Stamp likes this.
  14. Stamp

:thai wai:

15. TopCat

TopCat Member

Agreed. I've decided that in principle this also will be the way forward for me. Things just seem to be getting awkward with visas/work permits/teacher licences/changes of regime. As I see it, if you have a Thai spouse then the extension based on marriage just seems like the best long term solution for being here. I plan to change to this either later this year or next year - depends when I get the cash in the bank over here to meet the financial test. :happy1: