1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Four-day Frolic: Government approves extra holiday day over New Year’s weekend

Discussion in 'General News from Thailand' started by Stamp, 23 Nov 2016.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

By Coconuts BangkokNovember 22, 2016 /17:32 ICT

Today, the government gave final approval to make Jan. 3 a public holiday, creating a four-day work break over New Year’s weekend.

Thaksada Sangkhachan, a government spokesperson, announced that Jan. 3, a Tuesday, will be added as a holiday. As Jan. 2 was already a holiday, this means that workers will be off from Saturday, Dec. 31, until Tuesday, Jan. 3, reported Bangkok Post.

It was also confirmed that Dec. 5, Father’s Day and the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s birthday, will remain a public holiday this year. It’s not yet confirmed what will happen in future years to the traditional Father’s Day.

Four-day Frolic: Government approves extra holiday day over New Year’s weekend | Coconuts Bangkok

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

:confused I was told by school yesterday 3rd Jan is a holiday ...come back to skool Wednesday 4th teechar. Umm, and the government announced it today. Oh well and lol.

sirchai likes this.
  3. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

I note locals don't celebrate Government Efficiency Day...probably a bureaucratic oversight.

4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

And the deadly hangover on Wednesday morning turns out to be a very serious and explosive diarrhea, teeechaa. Cum back on Thor's Day then.....:cursing

Once it's January, the second term seems to fly.

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  5. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

I wrote the holiday on the office notice board 2 weeks ago...my Thai boss said, "It's common knowledge...why include it on the calendar?"

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

theres a great post going round that the holiday is from the 29th Feb, we can but dream