1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCAM Fly by night language centers in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Schools you want to talk about' started by Clown, 30 Oct 2015.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

The job interview was via Skype. The manager said his microphone's broken so I was just answering typed questions. Got a job offer with room and board and a minimum of $ 1,000. They had a website and I was led to believe it would be a bigger language center.

Upon arrival, there was no one to come to pick me up. No big deal. Half an hour later, the manager comes on a motorcycle. He could barely speak English. We rode to a new residential bungalow. The classroom had a projector and was used as living and dining room. Incredibly cramped. The whole kitchen was like a WW II U-Boot's.

In the afternoon, a few kids came. The manager was teaching. He was a lecturer at a university which was all the creds he needed. Mis-pronouncing words grotesquely, meaning to assist by his participation... The other day, 4 very good teenage students came. He had chosen a vocab lesson. They all knew each and every word. But he wouldn't allow some genuine conversation / role play / ...

His idea was to hire a dog and bark himself.

Then he presented the contract. The idea was that I would be the one paying - and if he would be unhappy about anything, he would make deduction and / or keep the money. The amount he wanted would have paid for 2 nice used Honda Wave bikes.

There was $ 1,000 in the contract. But with that center grossing less than that, there was no way he would pay a foreign teacher. *** When I shared my concerns, the answer was <<money is not important; you are family>>

to be continued

2. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Center B was a mom and son operation. Nice building, huge reception area befitting a center with a dozen classrooms. But they only had 7 classes. That meant that some days I would have only 2 hours of work. Nothing Thursdays and Tuesdays... Never more than 4 a day. At $ 10 an hour, I was concerned.

Good food, nice digs in the building. The owners let me use their Yamaha scooter, provided I fix her up. 1.5 Million VND later, I had a motorcycle.

This center found a way to hire foreigners. None of them was ever paid one Dong. The assistants were working for free (not sure w h a t they were promised). - Other centers do charge them a month's salary before they get hired. Want a job? Pay to get it! -

The woman who followed me was contracted to work where I was working. She wasn't paid either. Tears wouldn't move the owners. They were stringing her along, promising payment "on Sunday" and then "in November". At some point, the foreigners would just leave... Rinse and repeat.

3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

So clown are you back in the land of smiles?