1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fingerprint ID mandatory to register SIMs

Discussion in 'Computers and Electronics' started by Ajarn P. Paul, 31 Jan 2017.

1. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul Thread Starter มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

2. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

What does that tell you?

Your passport is not enough: they need biometrics.

The people out there with fake passports are not going to be stupid enough to register their fingerprints to get a phone. They are just going to shift how they get paid.

Meanwhile, Joe Shmoe is going to be scratching his head.

The more the authorities bring attention to mobile phones and meta-content, the more likely the bad guys will see the light and ditch anything that emits electrons.

3. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Does anybody need a cheap fingerprint scanner? Works simple and even with XP.

999 baht only for members of this forum.

4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Thanks. But for what purpose?

5. sirchai

I won't sell the school's holy scanner that always shows the wrong time so that I have to wait ten minutes longer to sign out.

It's made in favor of people who come late. So instead of 4.30, it's 4.40 that I can leave.

It doesn't make much sense to me, but I hope it's soon over, counting the days.

6. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Pointless

7. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I bought a bar code reader (5000 Baht) and set it up on my desk--attached to a netbook. Student enters, scans his/her/its ID, beep, and I have a solid record of attendance with the exact time entered. Sometimes at the end of class, scan out. Classes were large. Does miracles for attendance. Scans go onto Microsoft documents such .doc and .xls, etc. (which makes the info easy to manipulate). I did this at a university. Thought of it myself because I noticed that the ID cards had a barcode. Quick and detailed, less paperwork. Also, you can make the kids come on time because you have an exact record of lateness.

Some kids liked to go home after we took a break, but I made sure to take care of them when it came time for their grade. Passing an attendance sheet did not work because many of them would cheat.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this has strayed from the topic, which is how one needs to give biometric data in order to get a SIM card. It's a strict move, one that I do not know of elsewhere.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2017
    marcusb likes this.
  8. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I surprised that the little monkeys haven't begun counterfeiting bar codes and having partners in crime do three codes at once, etc. I was always impressed at the lengths Thai students go to not to follow rules or do their own work.

9. sirchai

Tony, it was only a joke to sell the school's fingerprint scanner. I know that it wasn't the best though. Peace.

10. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

And i meant the government's scanning idea for sim registration.
    I really don't see the issue with scanners in schools, at least it separates the wheat from the chaff.