1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Few Questions

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by P Chang, 20 Aug 2014.

1. P Chang

P Chang Thread Starter Smooth Operator

When I move to Thailand I will do so on a 90-day tourist visa. Prior to that expiring, I will obtain a non-immigrant O visa based on my marriage to a Thai. When I start working as a teacher, will I have to change my visa to a non-immigrant B visa to get a work permit, or can I get a work permit with a non-immigrant O visa? The reason I ask, is because perhaps I'll just skip getting the non-immigrant O visa and go straight from the tourist visa to the non-immigrant B visa. I'm guessing there's not a money requirement for the non-immigrant B visa like there is with the other visa?

If I recall correctly, I had to keep something like 15k USD in my Thai bank account throughout my time in Thailand in order to meet one of the requirements for the non-immigrant O visa. Not that that is a problem, but why go through the hassle of having to get the required letter from the bank regarding my finances if I don't need to. Not to mention going through an extra visa process (from tourist to O to B).

Also, what's with the stuff I've read regarding it taking 3 months to obtain a work permit. For those who arrive on a 30-day tourist visa and land a job as a teacher, what are they doing from the time that visa expires to the time they obtain their work permit and non-immigrant B visa? Are they able to get a non-immigrant B visa just by showing they've applied for the work permit, which will allow them to stay in the country until the work permit is issued?

Suggestions? Comments? Concerns?

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

A Tourist Visa gives a permission of stay of 60 days. An extension can be done for 30 days.

Why don't you apply for a non-immigrant O visa in your home country. It'll give you a permission of stay of 90 days.

Most Labour Offices accept a non-immigrant O visa or extension, as a valid immigration stay for issuing a work permit.

When applying for an extension of stay based on being a family member of a Thai national you need 400,000 THB in your Thai bank account.

Criteria and Conditions for Temporary Stay - Immigration Order 327/2557

Initial work permits, WP.1 takes about 1-2 weeks from the side of Labour.

3. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

There is no 90-day tourist visa. 60-day single or double entry +30-day extension(s). Yes they total 90 days for each entry but it is not a 90-day visa and you do have to pay for each extension as well as do a border run to activate the 2nd entry).

It takes about a week or so to process the work permit. There is no cash deposit requirement for the non-b.
    Typically, people enter as a tourist. Get a job and either do a change of status to non-b or exit/return with a non-b.
    IF you have a job lined up this can be done on your first 30-day no-visa entry.
    If you do not have a job lined up then you should probably have a 60-day tourist visa to give you time to find work and do a change of status to non-b.

The non-b is 2000 baht whether obtained at immigration (main office in government complex only) or at a consulate in a nearby country.

AFTER you get the non-b (a 90 day allowed period of stay) your employer applies for the work permit at the local labor office.
    This takes about a week but many employers delay this period until near the end of the 90-day non-b as a "probation period" before they spend the 3100 baht to pay for the work permit.
    You get your work permit then make a quick trip to the local immigration office to extend your period of stay (1900 baht) to match your contract (up to 1 more year).

4. P Chang

Thanks for the helpful answers. Yes, the tourist visa is a total of 90-days with the extension…sorry I failed to make that clear in my initial post.

I think I'll just apply for a non-O from here to make things a little easier. I won't look for work until I get into the country because I'd rather not accept a position sight-unseen (distance from where we will live to the school, work conditions, etc). I'm not looking to walk into a cushy private school position, but if I'm to accept 30k baht per month, then I want to at least do so at the most desirable school I can find.

5. crew

crew Faber College Member

get your non-imm O before you arrive; get a job that pays 40k a month and get your WP on the back of your non-imm O. then when you renew the non-imm O, all you have to do is prove you make 40k.

if you don't make 40k, you can ask the school to make a doc stating that you do and immi won't blink an eye...or at least you used to be able to do that...

6. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Not sure about other "regional" immigration offices but our regional immigration office wants to see the annual tax receipt (income declared and tax paid or no tax payment needed (0 Baht paid)).
    Yes, the tax office will issue a receipt for "0 baht due" and "0 baht paid" when you file your taxes.

7. P Chang

Was unaware of the 40k baht per month part. I'll do my best to squeeze out that amount of money per month, but from what I've read on here and elsewhere, I don't believe that's going to be possible for someone with no teaching experience…degree or not. Won't hurt to try, but no point in setting unrealistic expectations and then having my hopes and dreams smashed. 555

8. Stamp

It's either 40,000 THB monthly income or 400,000 THB in your Thai bank account.

9. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

in a single account or multiple accounts that add up to 400k?

10. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

But this doesn't affect government schools, right? Just private schools and corporations?

11. Stamp

Don't get confused with the minimum salary for foreigners to be eligible for an extension of stay.

The 40,000 THB rule as meant in the current police order 777/2551 and the new one 327/2557 doesn't address an occupation other than that mentioned income has to be the minimum average monthly income.

12. chuachinsoon

Now I'm confused. I'm on a non-O visa, and have been on one for years now. Apart from 1 year, I've been earning less than 40k a month. Yet I still get my yearly visa extensions. Errrmmm. Am I one lucky b*^^%$*?

13. Stamp

I think you're on an extension of stay based on employment.

Just check your extension of the permission of stay stamp in your passport.
    • At the top centre or top right corner there might be a stamp or hand written text. It states the 'Reason of Necessity'.
    • At the bottom is a stamp or hand written text with reference to police-order 777/2551 with the code of the reason of necessity.

14. chuachinsoon

Ah, you meant if P Chang were to extend his stay based on being a spouse of a Thai national. Me bad. I got confused because he said that he would be looking for work.
    BTW, I looked through the new 327/2557 order. It mentions minimum income at the end. Really? That would mean my school's paying the S. Korean teacher way below the minimum wage. :biglaugh:
    Nationality
    Minimum Income
    1. Countries in Europe (except Russia) and Australia, Canada, Japan, the United
    States of America
    50,000 baht/month
    2. South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, and Hong Kong
    54,000 baht/month
    3. Countries in Asia (except Japan, South Korea, Singapore,
    Taiwan. Hong Kong, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and Vietnam) and South
    America, countries in Eastern Europe, countries in Central America, Mexico,
    Russia, and South Africa
    35,000 baht/month
    4. Countries in Africa (except South Africa), Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and
    Vietnam
    25,0000 baht/month

Updated..........
    Oh bugger. It's for those here on business. And I thought I was going to get a pay raise too.... :(

15. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

we just teach their future generations..... not here on business:cool: