1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremes when it comes to eating

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Clown, 31 Jul 2016.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Tired of the bulging wrinkles round my waistline, I'm more serious now about going to the gym and the level of intensity there. My understanding is that protein reserves are to be replenished every 4 hours. Pro bodybuilders will eat a meal every 3 hours. And not because they are masochists.

The other day, my colleague who is 66 and rake thin complained about dizziness. He's been skipping bf and lunch. How can he expect his brain to function well with no carbs or other food for over 15 hours?!?

Ketogenic diet - while bodybuilders who aim for extremely low body fat want to avoid this like the plague, others seek it out intentionally. In other words, fasting or feasting and everything about nutrition: there are conflicting videos out there. :agreed

Got anything to share?

2. evl

evl Active Member

If you're working out hard and trying to build bigger muscles then your body is definitely going to want a good portion of protein with each meal, especially after a workout, plus protein can help you to feel full for longer than eating mostly carbs like rice and bread, so you're less likely to want to snack. Professional bodybuilders push their bodies hard, so their considerations about supplying their body with enough protein are much greater, but eating small meals regularly is a good way to keep your body's metabolism higher... although if the meals aren't small, that's not going to help much with losing weight as it's mainly about how many calories are eaten in a day.

There's some interesting science about fasting and clearly if you're not eating you're going to lose weight, but it's going to be from muscle as well as fat. If I wanted to lose a lot of weight, I'd consider eating less on days when not working out, but fasting when you have to do something like teaching or driving a car doesn't seem smart: the brain needs a lot of energy to function properly.

Plenty of studies about dieting have shown that the most successful ways people lose weight and actually keep it off are by sustainable healthy eating, not fad diets. Fasting and other types of diets can have their place for quick weight loss, but the important thing is to get your body used to eating the amount and type of food you can maintain for years! My tip would be: quality not quantity - treat yourself to good, healthy food even if it is expensive, because you'll enjoy it more and may even end up spending less than on junk food. If you find yourself slipping, think about what nutritional value your body can get out of a chocolate bar or bag of chips (hence the term "empty calories" - there's little more than calories in these foods).

You're certainly right that there are a lot of conflicting ideas about weight loss, but knowledge is power, so read a few books about bodybuilding and diet or even watch some of the better videos from various trainers and athletes on youtube; they should help motivate you and give you new ideas too.

3. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Weight loss is a personal matter.

People seem to agree with the inverted triangle, i.e.,
    breakfast is gold, lunch is silver, dinner is lead wear it to bed

But, if you're a compulsive eater and a fucking fat slob,
    and if skipping breakfast works for you, do it!

If you're a housewife and cook dinner for your family, eat a big dinner and skip lunch if possible.

If you can afford it, a lapband can be life changing.

For me, just carrying my bicycle down four flights of stairs and riding it around campus can make a difference.

If alcohol calories are creeping in, score some antabuse. If you're in the USA or some other backward country where seeing a doctor can mean a wait of weeks and a $200 office visit, get your ass to a TJ farmacia or get online.

Get creative, FFS, and don't let anybody else tell you what to do.
    My experience is that everybody is an expert on weight loss.
    Bullshit. Do what works for you.

And, good luck

One afterthought - If you try to seek motivation by doing it for your wife, and she says "Do it for yourself - I'm not interested in your stupid problems" then you need to get a new wife.

ramses likes this.
  4. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

I hardly ever eat breakfast and if I do then I'll skip lunch. I just don't have an appetite in the morning. Most days I'll have a sandwich and packet of crisps for lunch and then something bigger for dinner.

I don't need to lose weight but I am trying to eat better before my weekly football games as I noticed I struggled a fair bit for 90minutes.

5. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

Big breakfast is a must for me, have it between 9 and 10am. Can easily go without another meal for the rest of the day, never eat after 7.30pm and rarely in bed before 11pm.

6. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Eat every meal. Eat less for every meal. Eat more fiber. Try to eat real food. Try to eat early. The problem with fasting is that the body goes into panic mode and shuts down...it stops burning calories. It's useless as a diet technique but wonderful for achieving enlightenment.

I've lost 10kg in 6 months but I'd like to lose 5kg more. At my age, workouts are necessary. I walked 3 hours yesterday morning before working out for 30 minutes and then continued walking for another 3 hours. Mind you, this included eating breakfast and lunch. Forget about treadmills. Go see the town. Today, I only managed a 30 minute walk because the gym was full of Facebook gazing posers. DO NOT gaze at Facebook while working out.

How do you know if you are dieting correctly? You eat less than you normally do but don't feel hungry.
    How do you know if you're working out correctly? You should break a sweat when you work out.

That's my simple recipe, but I'm still fat...so don't listen to me.

7. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

This is good news for me! I'm working out correctly when I walk to the bus stop to go to WalMart and buy more brandy corn chips.

On a more serious note, there's a reason why I put so much effort into my little bicycle. Just toting it down and back up six flights of stairs and riding it aound the campus in between totes makes a difference.

Mati likes this.