1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funny Ever wonder why Thailand is performing so badly?

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by Hey_ewe, 20 Sep 2016.

1. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I was asked to invigilate on a Thai English test today. The Thai teacher gave me a brown envelope containing multiple choice question papers with separate answer sheets. Within one minute the students started to query the answer sheets. you can see why on the attachment. It would seem that counting 1-10 is too much to ask.
    I would forgive this mistake but I was given the same exam to invigilate last year and the answer papers had exactly the same mistake. I always expect the questions to be full of flaws but when the answer sheets are flawed you just don't know where to begin.

Fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat, fail, repeat...

IMG_6169.JPG

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Lol its a small typo and yep it should have been rectified from the previous year ...however a small amount of logic applied by a student would lead you to realise the first nine is for question 8 and I hope the invigilators pointed it out to be so.
    This is nothing in comparison to those now defunct TCT tests where many an answer (correct one or incorrect one) was totally incoherent.

Yep poor kids and a barrage of too many tests ...best of luck to em.

3. Hey_ewe

I enquired and found out that this is in fact the template for the whole school, so every student in the school is going to take most of their tests using these sheets, they probably did last year and probably will next year too. I know it's only a typo but it's indicative of the piss poor standards here. It doesn't take a lot to throw 8 Year old kids, most students IQ goes through the floor when they step into a test situation.

4. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Excuse me for appearing stupid, doesn't take much to throw me either! I don't understand the purpose of the seven rows numbered 0-9 in the top right area of the paper. What are they for?

In general the preference for multiple choice format as the main means of assessment is one of a number of features that lie at the heart of what is wrong with the system here. It's not that such a format is in anyway inappropriate, it is rather the fact that many other valuable means of assessment are never used.

5. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Put away your ethnocentrism and embrace glocalization. Let it go, let it go...

Last edited: 20 Sep 2016
  6. Hey_ewe

Haha someone was awake at the last seminar they went to. It's too late in the semester for me to deal with this crap, so I tend to get kranky.

As has been mentioned, even though it's a useless assessment tool, at least it is in my opinion, it's the sole method of evaluation for the majority, if not all Thai teachers and they can't even that right :confused What hope is there?

As for the rows at the top bugger knows? Probably a tea money counter! A tally for layers of skin whitening cream? More than likely it's there just to look good and serves no practical purpose, a microcosm of the education system.

portnoy58 likes this.
  7. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Those seven numbers? Probably the subject code.

8. dave123

dave123 Smurf Diver

Those seven numbers? could be the students school id number?

9. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Silly me. Just realized I could zoom by clicking on the picture. The first 5 numbers are the course code. The last 2 are (personal?)number.

Hey_ewe likes this.