1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erdogan threatens to open borders after European Parliament vote

Discussion in 'General News from other countries' started by sirchai, 26 Nov 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

In other words, if Turkey will not become a European member country they will send "millions of refugees" to Europe ( Germany) and they will rule over you.. ( Erdogan's words)

Source:Erdogan threatens to open borders after European Parliament vote | News | DW.COM | 25.11.2016

One day after the European Parliament voted in favor of freezing EU membership talks with Turkey, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday that Turkey could open its borders and allow migrants to leave for Europe if pushed by the European Union.

"If you go any further, these border gates will be opened," he said in Istanbul. "Neither me nor my people will be affected by these dry threats. It wouldn't matter if all of you approved the [European Parliament] vote."

2. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Turkey doesn't belong in Europe; Erdogan's threats and manipulations demonstrate that. Turkey has a distinct culture whose traditions are nearly diametrically opposed to those commonly found in the EU. He can act the tinpot authoritarian and bully his own kind, but Europeans would be wise to keep him (and Turkey) at arm's length.

sirchai likes this.
  3. sirchai

The reason why I posted that was an e-mail from my German sister. Plenty of Germans, me included, are really worried that this freak lets millions of refugees, eventually a lot of prisoners and other not wanted people into Europe.

A little bit similar to the Cuba joke where they let all prisoners go to the States?

Of course not with the intention to go to Italy, or Hungary, their final destination will be Germany which is already suffering a lot.

My sister wouldn't be so concerned if it's just a political trick to change European citizen's minds.

Erdogan has just recently shown what a jackass he really is and many already call him a dictator.

Is Erdogan becoming a Turkish dictator?

Turkey, which was once a model for democracy in the Middle East, is skirting dangerously close to autocratic rule under its current leadership. The recent failed coup attempt led to a massive crackdown on the government’s political opponents – and, in particular, the increasing personal power of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been a cause for concern.

Erdoğan came to power shortly after his Justice and Development Party (AKP) won in a landslide election in 2002 and immediately began making his mark on the country; more than 500 laws were passed during his first two years in office. In 2010, to demonstrate his mandate, Erdoğan passed two dozen constitutional changes via a national referendum. This played into his hands, garnering the support for his policies from the rural masses, where he receives more of his support.

Meanwhile, some of the civil liberties that had improved in attempts to achieve the criteria for European Union membership have drastically eroded under his leadership. Media freedom has been curtailed. Websites can be blocked. TV coverage is limited. During the 2013 Gezi Park protests, more than 80 journalists were fired. Journalists can be prosecuted for discussing any subject deemed controversial by the government.

I never had the "good luck" to holiday in such a fantasti..aehh fanatic country where some older European women are often seeking cheap sexual satisfaction and the thought Turkey being a European country is really a scary one.

Three friends of mine were on their land way to India about 35 years ago and spent a few days in Istanbul. An American younger woman, traveling alone, was asking them if she could join them because she's very scared to get raped, murdered, etc..

When they left a place in Istanbul called the Pudding Cafe and walked down the road, some overfriendly Turkish men invited them to their home to drink some tea. Their mistake was to agree and once all were in a house, they immediately pulled a gun and raped the American woman in front of the three German travelers.

They had no chance to do anything, a gun pointing at them the whole time where they had to watch the crime where three Turkish men were raping the poor American woman.

They also threatened them to kill them would they go to the cops. My friends still in the State of a shock immediately left Turkey. But two of them could not get over the horrifying experience with "those friendly guys" and they stopped their journey and flew back to Germany from Greece.

One of them, his nickname was "Fish" later committed suicide after plenty of psychological problems caused by the incident in Istanbul. Fish was a well-educated guy who loved to travel. I'm glad that I didn't come with them and had booked a plane to New Dehli where we actually wanted to meet to take the train to Bombay and then the ferry to Goa.

Spending 6 months in India and Sri Lanka was our dream after graduation from university. I had to save money for quite a long time and my parents gave me a good amount of cash because I had fantastic grades.

After a few very negative experiences in Germany with Turkish people holding a German passport who called all German women whores, I decided to keep a good distance to them. I never liked to watch the man walking in front enjoying a cigarette while his wife(s) had to carry twenty Aldi plastic bags.

Turks aren't stupid and my uncle, a "tax adviser" explained to me how they bypass paying any taxes, for example running a Doener Kebab place.

The first year is tax-free, after one year a cousin or other relative takes over. Another year without taxes. And that continues. But the money for kids is also coming in, no matter how much money they make.

My Turkish ex-neighbor in Germany had a ten apartment house, six kids where he received very good money for and he had a good amount of welfare money from the German government. I never saw these six kids, nor had he to show them to proof that they really existed. Isn't that weird? The guy was filthy rich, drove a big 500 series Benz, but lived off the welfare?

The Germans then moved out when he raised the rent for the apartments and it later turned out that he took 40 % more as usual in the area when he only had Turkish people living there.

He ripped off his own folks, but most of them got their apartments from the government, or better said from us, the taxpayers.

A part of Istanbul lies in Europe, but that's only geographically. Once you cross the Bosporus you are in Asia.

How can a country that obviously lies in Asia be a European country? Should we make new world maps, just because of a guy like Erdogan, or other Turkish people who want the Euro, not the Turkish Lira?

And that's not a rhetorical question.......

Turkey on a map.jpg

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

So the German economy can grow without immigrants? ok.

5. sirchai

The point is that Europe doesn't need Turkey to join in. It's already a big mess.

6. bahn_farang

The point is, in Germany, Turkey is already joined in

7. sirchai

If Erdogan lets millions of refugees cross the border or help them with ships to land somewhere near Germany, the shit will hit the fan.

But the fan is already full of shit.

8. bahn_farang

So, what you are saying is that Germany has not profited from the cheap labor of Turkey? Sorry but with the gains cometh the responsibilities

9. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

...."A part of Istanbul lies in Europe, but that's only geographically"....

That is "a real issue" for Europe, that no one wants to talk about it - at least for the time being - but time will tell.

10. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

The usual leftist 'false dichotomy' thinking. Only 2 possibilities exist:

1. No immigration
    2. Mass, uncontrolled immigration

It's this type of thinking that caused 'Brexit'. A concerned half of the UK population who, for example saw hospital waiting times & class sizes doubled in a relatively short time period, then had their concerns dismissed as racist.

IMO any immigration is a good thing because it starts with 1 immigrant. The arguments 'for' immigration are many so I won't reproduce them here but there needs to be controls. If we want to keep the high standard of living for the lowest paid workers, we need to control the influx of people who are prepared to work for a significantly lower wage; if you want equality, the easy path is to make everyone poor...

Some would argue that we need nurses, electricians, cockle-pickers etc from other countries because the local population is not prepared to do those jobs; why?

I would argue that, in a closed capitalist economy, wages should rise to a level where the local population is willing to fill those jobs; the rest of us will just have to pay a fair price for our cockles!

The UK government has taken the easy path, ever since the end of the second world war. That is to allow successive waves of mass immigration to fill jobs that the local population, understandably, do not want to do. I would argue that they have not implemented innovative, creative solutions. They should have invested in training for the local population & guaranteed a fair minimum wage for those jobs.

sirchai likes this.
  11. sirchai

I never said that. Italians and Turks helped to build up the destroyed country, no doubt about that. But nobody was working as a slave, and you might consider that so many German men got killed.

Were they really ripped off? I never thought about that and I'm too tired to Google that. Have you ever met a Turk who told you that they were used like slaves? Please elaborate.

Have you ever heard the word "Truemmerfrauen". Women who started to clean up the mess that your and American bombs had done to many cities.

They started with buckets and removed the pieces because most of their husbands or bf died in the war.

Fragments that were left of houses and buildings. The "Fragment Women" cleaning up bricks to rebuild a house....BTW, not all Germans were Nazis.

The one photo shows my city of birth Wuerzburg after the bombings.

Truemmerfrauen.jpg

Wuerzburg after the bombs.jpg

Last edited: 26 Nov 2016
  12. sirchai

A great example and I assume it's similar in the UK these days is a job working for the city emptying trash bins, which is basically done by the trucks these days.

While all Germans thought that they're "too good" for such a job, even those who didn't even finish primary school, Turks understood the goodies when being a government employee. Even if it's only trash.

Nowadays such a job is difficult to get and more than well paid. Most of them retire under 55, while the ordinary folks have to work until they fall down dead.

And 2,500 Euros for a job with a lot of social security isn't a bad choice for somebody who's too stupid to bend his own shoes.

Unfortunately, are there too many Germans, perhaps also guys from the UK who believe that they're too good for such a job.

13. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Re Turkey. They have barely fulfilled 2 of the 20 something criteria to join the EU. They are currently moving in the wrong direction so I don't think people should be too concerned about them joining in the near future...

Last edited: 26 Nov 2016
  14. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

^agree. Now if we cold only get them out of NATO...

15. sirchai

Nuke them? (George W. Bush's advice to it)