1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entry level Benz in Thailand

Discussion in 'Travel' started by bahn_farang, 12 Dec 2016.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Thank you, I think. Although now feel a little self conscious.

2. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

If we want to say "maybe I don't really think so" or "kind of" or "perhaps I don't think", then we say "I think"! English is amazing.

3. bahn_farang

my apologies, thank you.

4. bahn_farang

Any knowledge of the build quality of the Volvo now it is Chinese owned? Volvo, does offer a realistic alternative to the Benz. With both the Benz and Volvo, I would face the issue of not having a dealership within 100km.

I will not buy Toyota or Honda after a trip to Central today. Literally 90% were of the Japanese duopoly!

Hey_ewe likes this.
  5. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

We would face the same problem, the closest to us is Khon Kaen. As for build quality, its difficult to say with any real certainty, as I don’t know anyone who owns one here. I have sat in a few volvos here at motor shows and the cabin feels well put together. I had a volvo C30 about 10 years ago and they felt and looked to be of the same standard. Although they are now Chinese owned and built in Malaysia, they seem to be enthusiastic to maintain volvo as a luxury brand for the Asian markets.

bahn_farang likes this.
  6. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

When I converse with you, I feel like I'm held to the same standards as teaching an efl student. Hmmm..maybe Londoners and Maui-ans are, in fact, that much different. Connect the dots: I posted a video of Jack Johnson, a resident of Hawaii, singing a song entitled "I've Got a Symbol in my Driveway." Hence, the relevance.

You're mad if you think there aren't a lot of Mercedes in Thailand! The complex where I live could hardly be considered posh, but there are at least a dozen Mercedes owners and one of them has been parked on flattened tires for at least a year.

Will you stand out from the crowd if you own a Mercedes in Thailand? No. Will you help some government official live a better standard by paying a premium just to get a symbol in your driveway? Yes.

Cars I've owned over the years in America: Toyota, Ford, Chevrolet, Mazda, Honda, Mercedes, and Volkswagen. The best car of the lot had to be the Honda. Worst car...? Volkswagen...followed closely by the Mercedes.

Cars I've owned in Thailand: none. Why bother? Unless I lived in the sticks, in which case I'd buy a Toyota or Honda. Why? Parts, service, and value for reasonably high-tech cars.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2016
    SageAdvice likes this.
  7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Mercedes had a hard time when they produced their 500 and 560 series with too many little motors and electronic that caused many problems and you could see plenty of Benz on German Autobahns out of order.

The Japanese were way smarter and used vacuum tubes to control valves and other items that are important for motor management and hydraulic systems.

Almost everybody at this time made jokes about these so expensive cars, but Benz finally woke up and they did their homework quite well.

I don't get your message that you never wanted to own a car in Thailand? Why bother? There's the rainy season, you're independent and if you don't live in Bangkok, a car is worth gold.

A good stereo system on my way to work, easy to move stuff around with a pickup and it's great to have a car for trips through Thailand. Next trip will be to Laos and it's pretty sad that you can't cross the border to Vietnam with a Thai car.

You like Toyotas and Hondas, I prefer a Mitsubishi. But if we all would have the same taste there wouldn't be as many different models on the roads.

It's a big joke that they want too much luxury tax, but I think there's a way around with so-called gray imports. And the real rich people usually find ways around the luxury tax.

My wife's uncle got caught when he issued documents for Italian sports cars and these cars didn't come to Thailand through the usual way. He was sent to an inactive post when the military took over and my dream of driving a Benz to an affordable prize was gone.

The burnt-out luxury cars on a trailer in Korat were usually planned to get "cleared" in Sisaket. Nobody even claimed them. One of them had the license plate of a big M 150 shot on it, but the guy said he’ had nothing to do with it?

A high-tech Benz full with electronic doesn't make sense if you don't have the right mechanics who know how to fix and service them properly.

I'd drive a Benz if I could afford it, but would of course also keep my pick up. Different strokes for different folks.

8. bahn_farang

Cheers for explaining, only asked the question because I didn't get the reference. Fond memories of Maui, importantly though, Aloha (and all that it means).

9. SundayJam

Aloha means hello and goodbye...but first and foremost...it means I love you. Gee, thanks BF! ...or not as the case may be. ;-)

bahn_farang likes this.
  10. bahn_farang

Remember going to a luau many moons ago and listening to a local explain the meaning of Aloha. It was described with such passion that although I was just a small boy, I was entranced by the meaning as a code of conduct as well as the hello/goodbye utterance. Being a local you will of course no doubt know but for others:

The People of Maui

The Meaning of Aloha | Huna

A stands for Akahai, which means careful offering, unpretentious kindness, gentleness, modesty, and tenderness.

L stands for Lokahi, which means to obtain oneness, agreement, unity, and harmony.

O stands for Olu’olu, which means agreeable, pleasant, and gracious.

H stands for Ha’aha’a, which means humility or modesty.

A stands for Ahonui, which means patience, endurance, and perseverance.

Not sure how many of these precepts my dream to own a Benz is true to, but I will persevere in my dream.

11. SundayJam

A = Aloha
    Absolute, true love. The minute you think you’re better than somebody else, the minute you make comparisons, judgments, and spiritual judgments, you separate yourself from the true Love. In that moment you give up the spark of divine essence that comes from pure spirit, the love that we are, all of us.

Aloha is not an acronym. There is just aloha. This definition comes close and yet it is..a bit...new age? I'm not sure how it misses the mark. I liken aloha more to how Laotians say, "Sabai Dee!" upon greeting each other.

I also used to think Volkswagens and Mercedes were amazing cars...until I actually owned one or had to repair one for a customer. Aloha.

12. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Stamp likes this.
  13. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Guess I have to take the 2017 Ural Sahara Gear Up then.